Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 01:39 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
You are in an expensive east coast area though. Plenty of sub 100k housing in most of the country.
I think you havent eyeballed real estate prices in quite some time. Are there places this is true? Sure. Most of the country? Not unless a few places = most of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

And for everyone here who says that tiny houses are just trailers, you have no idea what you're talking about. Trailers are not built for living in full time. Eventually, the roof leaks. They're not insulated in the same way tiny houses are.

A tiny house can have a 50 year roof. They have insulation like a regular house. They won't break down in a couple of years like trailers do from being lived in full time.

I've lived in trailers for most of the past 16 years. Ask me how I know these things.
But you can replace your travel trailer several times and still be money ahead. And they do last longer than "a couple" of years.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:41 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
And underwater both financially and hurricane-wise.
Moms basement should be nice And safe for you when the earthquake hits.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:02 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,572,494 times
Many societies in the world cherish their extended families, and keep them close by. Our society kicks them out, and ridicules those that do stay together. There may come a time when our families may need to stick together since it may be the only way we can survive. Even now older folks are moving in with their kids, and visa versa because of skyrocketing costs. That is one reason for this thread. Looking for more economical ways of living instead of getting into debt up to our eyeballs.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:01 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
If you ever watch those YouTube or TV shows about tiny homes, the occupants depicted are almost always affluent. They are there by choice, not because they can't afford better. I don't think tiny homes are marketed to the poor.

They're not, and for good reason. In our class warfare society, tiny homes would never be accepted by the broad middle class if tiny homes were marketed to the poor.

Better to let the affluent hipsters establish the niche, and subsequently expand the market to include the working poor. Which is consonant with capitalism, anyway - innovations are marketed first to the affluent, and the market expands downward from the top.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:10 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,572,494 times
Well that obviously makes sense since the companies want to make money. And they won't make much profit selling to the poor who can't afford to pay as much, if anything.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:23 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
But you can replace your travel trailer several times and still be money ahead. And they do last longer than "a couple" of years.
Personally, it wouldn't be worth it for me to be unattaching and reattaching the plumbing, septic, and electricity every time I got new trailer. Yes, some trailers do last more than a couple of years. Unfortunately, I haven't ever lived in one.

By the way, have you ever been in a trailer in a high wind? It will shake like it's in an earthquake. LOL

Old 11-04-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Personally, it wouldn't be worth it for me to be unattaching and reattaching the plumbing, septic, and electricity every time I got new trailer. Yes, some trailers do last more than a couple of years. Unfortunately, I haven't ever lived in one.

By the way, have you ever been in a trailer in a high wind? It will shake like it's in an earthquake. LOL
Unattaching and reattaching takes minutes. If you plan to travel with the home, you're going to be doing it anyway.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:44 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
I looked at one last night. 200 sq ft for $100K not on any property. It's cute, but I paid $120 K for a 3000 sq ft house on 10 acres. Not worth the price tag for a glorified mobile home. Heck, the local MH dealer has one that is 600 sq ft and is only $35K and you don't need to climb a ladder and crawl across the floor to get into bed.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I looked at one last night. 200 sq ft for $100K not on any property. It's cute, but I paid $120 K for a 3000 sq ft house on 10 acres. Not worth the price tag for a glorified mobile home. Heck, the local MH dealer has one that is 600 sq ft and is only $35K and you don't need to climb a ladder and crawl across the floor to get into bed.
Yeah, I dont get why anyone would pay 100k for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics