Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:42 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,039,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Most of the scams people fall for are legal because they don't read the fine print. I'll give you a perfect example: I know this couple that got a letter from California saying they had won a boat (**** this is funny) and they needed to send $1800.00 for shipping charges. So they called a phone # that they were told too call, what they got was instructions on how to send the money.

So they wired the money, and their boat was delivered in 2 weeks as promised, but the big kicker is the boat was a 4 man inflatable boat you can buy for less than a $100.00. They take the letter they got to their attorney and he tells them they have been scamed and it's all legal. What made the **** legal was, (1) they got a boat as promised,(2) no where in the letter did it specify what type of boat it was. They could not get their money back.
Oh geez, that really sucks... Caveat emptor - Buyer Beware! I always get those phone messages saying "you've been selected for a Caribbean vacation!!", and I just delete it before the message is even done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 08:55 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,265,426 times
I started doing surveys back in April to fill up some spare time. I am full of opinions, and not afraid to share! I have done somewhere around 50 surveys since I started, and have gotten 4 checks for a grand total of $23. I have tested 4 products, 3 personal hygiene and one home cleaning. If you are thinking you can supplement you income this way I hope you don't need much extra $$$$. I am all for helping with product development, but this is not a way to make money.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:22 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,499,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh geez, that really sucks... Caveat emptor - Buyer Beware! I always get those phone messages saying "you've been selected for a Caribbean vacation!!", and I just delete it before the message is even done.

We get a few of those as well, got letter recently stating we had won a Florida Vacation... just send $89.00 for processing fee. You know I jumped all over that...LOL

Old 12-20-2006, 11:48 AM

262 posts, read 2,023,687 times
There is no such thing as a "free lunch."

People do make money off of "get rich quick" schemes - the people who invented them to take money away from hundreds of lazy *******s who can't land a real job. Multi-level marketing "pyramid" schemes are even worse, especially because the people who fall for them really believe they "own" a successful business (Amway) or that they are in a position of true power, like a financial advisor (Primerica).

If you're filling out surveys, do not consider it to be part of your income, but rather a waste of time where you might get some junk that you'll just end up throwing in a closet and forgetting about.

I don't even know why I am justifying this with an answer, but PLEASE CONSIDER GETTING A REAL JOB. There are plenty of jobs that require no effort, skill, or time. Heck, my buddy makes over $30k a year as an auto parts courier, just driving auto parts from the parts store to the car dealership. He works about 4 hours a day and can write off gas and car maintenance.

It's one thing to be happy making a low salary if you enjoy your job and lifestyle, it's another to make a conscious decision to make the bare minimum needed to survive by exerting as little effort as possible. Good luck...

Old 01-11-2007, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,982 times
I agree with the posts I have seen here. I thought about getting in to this to see what was out there. As I looked around I stumbled upon www.dontgetcheated.com (broken link) which actually had some good information and helped me understand truly what is behind most of the pitches.

Unfortuanltey, it is actually going to take time and money to make money.

- Steven

Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,792,122 times
You're a graphic designer?

Please forgive the blunt observations - I'm actually trying to be helpful here:

Why not maximize your potential and be a well paid graphic designer?

There are some very specific ways to be more successful at what you already do, but they involve some careful planning and hard work. However, that planning and hard work are much more productive than chasing an elusive 15 k on the web. I've bet my own career on it, and it's proven to be true for me so far.

One way to be more successful at what you're already talented at is to increase the amount of personal referrals you get. There are very specific ways to do this...

Old 01-11-2007, 01:19 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,099,310 times
Im still practicing graphics design, im not yet an expert. I talked to one of my friends who makes over $200 a day advertizing his website. I am using my graphics and web design skills to make websites and sell ad space. Seems that advertizing is far easier and more profitable than graphics design. I may of course do a little graphics designing for others to supplament my advertizing revenue.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:10 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,283,241 times
You've GOT to be kidding!! A new twist on the chain letter scam.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,099,310 times
Sorry, thats a pyramid chain scam where people scam each other out of money and the lucky ones can extort thousands. Give $6 away? If everyone did that, a few guys on the top would get thousands.

There is no really easy way to make money but my friend is going to help me make like $40k a year but I gotta work for it and I am more than willing to. He makes $10k to $15k a month working 80+ hours a week and also has lots of talent doing his business. I can work about 30 hours a week and ill be happy to make at least $2k a month which sounds reasonable. It wont make me rich and I dont care, its enough to leave Florida and get my own house for a good price in the northeast.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:34 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,118,257 times
It's generally a waste of time and money. My sister has tried just about everything...she is in quite a bit of debt now and had to move back in with my mom. With the amount of time she wasted on these get rich quick schemes, she could have gotten a traditional job, made money, and been better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics