Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 03:08 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Does anyone realistically think this random sob story of a lady has put in the work in life Jamie Dimon has? Why the hell should she expect a similar outcome?
Probably not. But the core issue remains humans today don't understand the inordinate amount of time money and energy required to raise a child today.

Americans are too entitled and believe that having a child is a right and not a privilege. Having kids today is a PRIVILEGE. It costs $250,000 from age 0-21.

If I was Jamie Dimon and this were another country i'd point that out. But the American public has been brainwashed into believing that children are an end unto themselves and not a means to an end. When the orientation changes back to what it was 2000 years ago then a lot of these situations will correct themselves, or the kids get sold to chattel slavery. Now if people back then had reliable birth control we'd be in trouble as a species, but today there's simply no excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 07:31 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...big-banks-pay/

However, there is one issue people refuse to address in this country. Why did the Woman have a child to begin with without ALREADY having adequate income?
I don't know about this specific woman but I can think of various situations.....
  1. that she was married when she got pregnant and her husband either died or
  2. they divorced between then and now.
  3. Or she is still married but it is a single-income household because her spouse is out of work (IIRC the woman's budget was in the red even BEFORE considering childcare).
  4. Or the job she had prior WAS manageable but she lost it and has taken THIS job as "better than nothing".

You have no imagination, no understanding, and no empathy. Let's hope nothing bad ever befalls you - you must be blessed and can't even see it.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
People make poor life decisions and always want to blame someone else instead of bucking up and taking personal responsibility. The perpetual victim mentality will get you nowhere in the real-world because the real-world simply doesn't care. The victim mentality is perfectly suited for the higher education system and identity politics. That's why it flourishes in these spaces.
And some people born on third base want to personally take full credit for everything they've "accomplished" in this life without even realizing how well off they really are.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:21 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And some people born on third base want to personally take full credit for everything they've "accomplished" in this life without even realizing how well off they really are.
See, envy is a hell of a thing. If someday I leave my kids an easier start in life than I had, does that somehow make them lessor?

Why does it matter to YOU how someone else views their accomplishments or lack of them?

Old 04-13-2019, 08:26 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Having children and reproduction should not be a “right”. It should be something that we limit and put high thresholds for. People say how difficult it is to get into a military academy or how tireless the process is for buying a home. Well wanting to have a child should be 10X as difficult as either of those.

There should be a credit check, income verification, drug testing, psychological profiling, dna/genetic testing, iQ score, physical fitness exam, and a general health screening.

If we require tons of permits and inspections to build a home we should do the same for reproduction. We also should limit reproduction to 20% of current rates to control and limit populations. We need less people than we currently have but better people.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:53 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
If we require tons of permits and inspections to build a home we should do the same for reproduction. We also should limit reproduction to 20% of current rates to control and limit populations. We need less people than we currently have but better people.
I have been called all kinds of names including the Black Hitler for suggesting these things.

The fact remains is we have been running on life support as a planet since the 70s. Scientists already told us when the oil crisis happened that the earth is at maximum capacity and nothing short of breakthroughs in new energy sources would fix it. Hence climate change.

People complain about climate change but then reproduce like rabbits and get mad when mother nature responds in kind to restore balance and cull the herd. With Tsunamis, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Rockslides etc.

Modern day humans need a reality check but looks like only a doomsday event will succeed in waking us up now. Because being a willful single mother and suffering in poverty isn't enough and a more severe deterrent is required apparently.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:17 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
What's left out of the scenario is that the single mother was in a marriage with a physically abuse husband, divorced him, got a protective order against the abusive ex-husband, and raised the three kids on her own. One need only read further about the congresswoman's personal history.

I think the pertinent aspect of the hearings is that there is a backlash against the bailouts for the finance sector and the wealthy. The next bailout may well be a QE for the masses. Unfortunately, the administration and Congress still hold control over how the money is allocated. The deficit spending has been mainly going to tax cuts and military procurements.

Last edited by lchoro; 04-13-2019 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-13-2019, 09:28 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
What's left out of the scenario is that the single mother was in a marriage with a physically abusive husband, divorced him, got a protective order against the abusive ex-husband, and raised the three kids on her own.
This is the part that's almost always left out of the "poor, single mother" stories and it drives me up a wall every time. WHY is only one parent (and the taxpayers) responsible for supporting the kids? Where is the guy (or where are the guys) who contributed the other half of the kids' chromosomes? Do they know their kids are being raised in poverty? Do they contribute to the support? Name 'em and shame 'em.

And, if the woman has no idea who the Baby Daddy is, spell that out, too. I'm tired of the underlying assumption in most of these stories that there's no one else responsible for these kids except Mom and the taxpayers. I should add that I DID divorce an alcoholic, verbally abusive first husband after getting a Restraining Order against him; fortunately I had a college education and a good job. I know I was fortunate in that respect. It also helped that I had DS when I was 31, not 15, and he was an only child.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:33 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:

Katie Porter does bring up good points so far. The reality is there is no way for a single mother to be financially solvent on minimum wage with child. It is interesting though that those who talk about flyover states being more reasonable I think she mentioned the scenario is in the Midwest. And $16/hr still isn't enough even on a bare bones budget and no luxuries.

However, there is one issue people refuse to address in this country. Why did the Woman have a child to begin with without ALREADY having adequate income?

The 2008 recession hit HIGHER income families hard, those who were dually making $200k+. And there shouldn't be the expectation that these folks not have children.

But if you have zero savings, are just starting out with no support system and can only get minimum wage jobs, then no you should not be having kids! But we're too afraid to say that here in the U.S. because the Pro-Baby crowd will
It's not the pro-baby crowd that's afraid to talk about not having kids out of wedlock. It's the PC crowd who wants to pretend that all family arrangements should lead to equal economic outcomes.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:33 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:

Katie Porter does bring up good points so far. The reality is there is no way for a single mother to be financially solvent on minimum wage with child. It is interesting though that those who talk about flyover states being more reasonable I think she mentioned the scenario is in the Midwest. And $16/hr still isn't enough even on a bare bones budget and no luxuries.

The 2008 recession hit HIGHER income families hard, those who were dually making $200k+. And there shouldn't be the expectation that these folks not have children.

But if you have zero savings, are just starting out with no support system and can only get minimum wage jobs, then no you should not be having kids! But we're too afraid to say that here in the U.S. because the Pro-Baby crowd will

Does JPM pay min wage anywhere? Is it JPM responsibility to pay every employee what is necessary for them to “make it”? I think the answer to both is no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies