Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 02:11 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times

Advertisements

https://youtu.be/PHe0bXAIuk0?t=1500

Haven't seen anyone explain the solution this well. Even from Economics professors at a top tier non-Ivy league Private school.

I've always thought that maximizing productivity and democratizing some of the profit could solve most economic problems.

Big Tech is supposed to do a lot of this, the inherent problem however is know-nothing Hedge fund speculators are taking the wind out of most progressive developments and running these companies into the ground with unrealistic expectations, and siphoning all profits into the hands of the 1%, instead of allowing those funds to flow throughout the economy either via benefits in lowering prices on goods/services or bringing added value (without added mark-ups to every single additional benefit) to the B2B world.

The problem is inherently the American desire for EXCESSIVE profits to investment ratio. For example a Billionaire investor DOES NOT always need a 36% return on investment. Nor is this something the market can consistently and sustainably provide at that volume level. Yet it is what Hedge fund managers seek aggressively from a composite group of hand picked companies - And they'll do anything to achieve that high growth at scale, even if it dooms the long term prospects of said companies. This means the rich guys get their return quickly QoQ for the next 2 years while Joe average sees his 10-20 year HOLD outlook go down into the toilet.

For example, a new technology allows ultra high file size compression. The ability to now make 1 Terabyte = 1MB. Instead of focusing on making it widely available which would greatly increase the speed of the entire Internet theoretically and allow more economic activity than ever before - They license the tech for 10 years to a handful of select companies whom reap the benefits directly and of course the shareholders of those companies who obtain the license. This benefits a select few instead of many people.

The core problem is RICH PEOPLE DON'T SPEND ENOUGH. The average millionaire is focused on AMASSING wealth, not spending in a way that CREATES ECONOMIC ACTIVITY. Rich people don't have enough kids and therefore the DIRECT economic stimulating consumer spending in Rich people is extremely limited. There's only so many Yachts and Ferraris one can buy. The American economy NEEDS a Middle Class!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 05:51 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
So show us. Dramatic rants are all well and good, but let's see some numbers... how much does your average millionaire person spend and what arbitrary threshold have you set to be enough?

Old 08-18-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
So show us. Dramatic rants are all well and good, but let's see some numbers... how much does your average millionaire person spend and what arbitrary threshold have you set to be enough?
Why don't YOU....

You seem to have a bone to pick with me. Well I don't have time for the games.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:55 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
I don't have a bone to pick, I'm just naturally skeptical of people who spout "facts" that seem subjective and arbitrary to prove or support an argument. Like someone saying "many people are doing worse" or "many people are doing better" to make their point about the economy, how can one even quantify something as nebulous as better or worse?

You said millionaires don't spend enough, but when asked how much they spend you tell me to go look it up despite you being the one making the claim. Doesn't that seem a bit suspect? Do you really know how much millionaires spend or as you just making an argument based on assumptions? One would think you had this information right at your fingertips to be using it in this manner.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:09 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
So, I can "buy" into OP's argument, at least until some sells me another argument

Old 08-18-2019, 12:48 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
You know it’s going to be an intelligent conversation when your argument is about the evil rich and their yachts and Ferrari’s.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:02 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
You know it’s going to be an intelligent conversation when your argument is about the evil rich and their yachts and Ferrari’s.

Well, there can't be too many of those folks. Ferrari sells fewer than 3,000 cars a year in the US.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
I kinda sorta agree with him. I don't despise the rich - far from it. But amassing billions and only spending a couple million a year does not trickle down to the middle and lower classes.

The rich do spend on things - private jets and yachts are probably the quickest way to funnel money from the rich to the middle class. It's just they don't spend enough.

The $600b leaving the US a year in trade that pays other country's workers doesn't help either.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I kinda sorta agree with him. I don't despise the rich - far from it. But amassing billions and only spending a couple million a year does not trickle down to the middle and lower classes.

The rich do spend on things - private jets and yachts are probably the quickest way to funnel money from the rich to the middle class. It's just they don't spend enough.

The $600b leaving the US a year in trade that pays other country's workers doesn't help either.
Trickle down economics will never work. We tried it 3x.

RE: Bolded comment - No politician will ever adjust those outflows...

Old 08-18-2019, 04:18 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Tl;dr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics