Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 06:25 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,088,810 times

Advertisements

With close to 5,000 stores, this would be an enormous quantity of jobs lost.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...K4f?li=BBnb7Kz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 06:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
It makes sense in the cost savings on the company side of the table. It’s a immense amount of money and liability saved.

On a customer side I dont care to nor do I want to do self check out. Way I see it I’m not paid to check myself out nor am I getting a discount for doing it. Your company.....is the people you hire. That’s the face I see not the douchebag executive in some far away city. Maybe my biggest thrill is to go in see my favorite nice cashier when I shop for whatever. If I wanted self check out no human interaction........I would do all my shopping online.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:17 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Three words: Universal Basic Income ($1,000 a month) for all citizens making less then $75,000 a year or $100,000 a year in higher COL areas like the Tri-State area or San Francisco Bay area.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:29 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,169,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It makes sense in the cost savings on the company side of the table. It’s a immense amount of money and liability saved.

On a customer side I dont care to nor do I want to do self check out. Way I see it I’m not paid to check myself out nor am I getting a discount for doing it. Your company.....is the people you hire. That’s the face I see not the douchebag executive in some far away city. Maybe my biggest thrill is to go in see my favorite nice cashier when I shop for whatever. If I wanted self check out no human interaction........I would do all my shopping online.
We either you grocery pickup or self-checkout. I can't remember the last time I've used a cashier.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:50 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,209,087 times
I would not miss cashiers. Most of them look at you like you are interrupting them by being in their line. I don't exactly blame them - it is probably not much fun to stand there all day.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:55 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
I predict it will work well in affluent suburban areas, but will get rolled back quickly in lower income locales due to shoplifting, intentional misidentification of produce items for cheaper ones, and all the other little ways that the presence of a cashier helps prevent fraud and loss.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:02 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I would not miss cashiers. Most of them look at you like you are interrupting them by being in their line. I don't exactly blame them - it is probably not much fun to stand there all day.
The cashiers at Wal mart seem miserable. I don't even shop there anymore, they're so freaking rude. If their jobs are gone, so be it.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:39 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Until a machine is infallible, a human is your better asset to resolve that which a program cannot.

Try fighting with a program. It rang up the price wrong, Who you going to tell??

Or it double charged. Too bad, the cashier that you eagerly said is Useless ..suddenly becomes your ally to resolve that technical glitch.

I worked as a cashier, most consumers were civil. I cannot imagine they enjoy the complainers or the ansty self imposed important person. Yet it put bread on the table and gave them a sense that they were an element in the business module.

Ask any Business Owner and they will tell you that paying LABOR is a bane to them. The Owners sole goal is to PAY out the least amount of funds to keep the golden goose lining their bank account. The Go to has been to cut labor before cutting Budget resources.
True fact- Our one business owner would have ( and did) fire staff so that he could improve his revenue thru an online website. Two years into that "investment" and not a soul was ordering from that debacle of a site. Every customer still insisted on having a LIVE voice hear them out or follow thru on the order tracking or return. You can lead a horse to water , but most STILL insist that it takes a human to resolve a humans concern.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:01 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
I used to work at Wal-Mart. They've been working on this tech for 20 years.

This will eliminate some jobs but maybe not as many as you'd think. They'd still need some front end staff to help customers and police shrink.

I'd estimate maybe 30-40 positions per store at most. Mostly PT positions. Remember that a typical WM has 250-400 workers. Across the company it's maybe 150k jobs. Mostly PT.

It's not even about getting rid of current workers, it's about hiring fewer new ones and getting more of the new workers they do hire.

Mark my words, in thw future you'll start needing an associates degree to work these jobs

Old 06-17-2020, 09:29 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,619,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Three words: Universal Basic Income ($1,000 a month) for all citizens making less then $75,000 a year or $100,000 a year in higher COL areas like the Tri-State area or San Francisco Bay area.
That's not UBI.

Go read up on what UBI really is and then get back to us. Hint: Key word is "Universal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics