Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2021, 06:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times

Advertisements

taken from its conference call,mind you these guys have $22 Billions cash sitting on their balance sheet !
------
This inflation problem won't go away by simply wishing it away especially with the Fed's proverbial foot still on the gas pedal, which of course, brings us to interest rates. The economist Rudi Dornbusch famously said in the 60's that in economics, things take longer to happen than you think they will, and they happen faster than you ever thought that they could. Such is the case, I believe, with interest rates in the United States. They're too damn low. And the reason that they're so low is because in the past year and a half, the Fed has purchased over $4 trillion of government securities.

That's $4 trillion of government securities that had been taken out of the market. Poof, they're gone. The Fed has created a squeeze of gargantuan proportions in these securities that has rippled through all the fixed income markets. The only people that own U.S. fixed income securities are people who need to own them, like banks and insurance companies, just to name a few. Traders may dabble in government securities, but investors won't go near them because there isn't a bullish case to be made for investing in government securities. Today the 10-year note yields less than 1.2%.

If the rate on those notes goes up just 13 basis points, a little over a 10th of 1%, then the entire interest carry on the bond for the year will disappear. That sounds like a miserable investment to me. Getting back to inflation. If the inflation rate this year is 6% -- and that's a low number, I believe -- then the negative real return on a 10-year note will be minus 4.75%. That's minus 4.75%. Who would want to own a security that guarantees that you'll lose almost 5% of your purchasing power in a single year? Most people have already decided to either hold cash or move out the risk curve rather than lock in a real loss of such large proportions. The issuance of government securities will continue.

For this year, the federal deficit is forecast to be $3 trillion, which means there is no end to the supply of government bonds that need to be issued to finance our government's activities. And with so much issuance of government securities on the way and with a strong economy and with inflation running so hot and with a negative real yield so unattractive, the Fed may have a little choice but to take their foot off the proverbial gas pedal and take away the punch bowl, finally allowing interest rates to rise. There's only so long that the Fed can delay the inevitable. And to me, and maybe to Rudi Dornbusch, of blessed memory, that time may soon be upon us.

Mary Skafidas -- Vice President, Investor Relations and Corporate Communications

Thank you, Jim. Thank you for that perspective, and thank you, David. That concludes the Loews call for today and. As always, we want to thank you for your continued interest. Please feel free to reach out to me with any additional questions at mskafidas@loews.com. A replay will be available on our website, loews.com, in approximately two hours. That concludes the Loews call for today.

Operator

[Operator Closing Remarks]

Duration: 36 minutes

Call participants:
Mary Skafidas -- Vice President, Investor Relations and Corporate Communications

James S. Tisch -- President and Chief Executive Officer

David B. Edelson -- Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

More L analysis

Transcript powered by AlphaStreet

This article is a transcript of this conference call produced for The Motley Fool. While we strive for our Foolish Best, there may be errors, omissions, or inaccuracies in this transcript. As with all our articles, The Motley Fool does not assume any responsibility for your use of this content, and we strongly encourage you to do your own research, including listening to the call yourself and reading the company's SEC filings. Please see our Terms and Conditions for additional details, including our Obligatory Capitalized Disclaimers of Liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 06:43 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Theres upwards of 15 trillions plus is negative sovereign debt around the world so Im not sure if they entirely skipped over that

Old 08-05-2021, 06:59 PM

Now I wonder where does L keep their $22 Billions?
They dont own a mattress company,but they own hotels together there are 100,000 rooms,so there are plenty of mattresses !

Old 08-07-2021, 03:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Is $22bil even considered a lot of money these days?

Well maybe it from their profits, and they will save it for a rainy day when some CEO is caught up in a vicious, distasteful scandal, and he needs to resign, but not without first getting billions in golden parachute money.

Are we talking about the Hardware store?

Old 08-08-2021, 07:48 AM

no,not the hardware LOWE,it is L (Loews),they own CNA insurance,Boardwalk pipeline,hotels and unfortunately bankrupt oil service co,Diamond Offshore.not sure if it is still on its books.
They sold Lorrilard tobacco CO years ago for billions,then invested in oil service business when oil kept rising higher and higher.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is $22bil even considered a lot of money these days?

Well maybe it from their profits, and they will save it for a rainy day when some CEO is caught up in a vicious, distasteful scandal, and he needs to resign, but not without first getting billions in golden parachute money.

Are we talking about the Hardware store?
$22 B is a lot of money to me,I will take it if you dont want it.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:53 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
$22 B is a lot of money to me,I will take it if you dont want it.
I’m pretty sure he’s talking about 22 billion for a business as opposed to personal income.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:57 PM

actually ,a company which sits on so much cash is not doing a good job managing its assets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics