Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 02:07 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,417 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how much to plan to spend to get a will done. I do not need a trust. Or should I just do it myself using the online services? It seems like attorneys never want to give you a price until you've done a "consultation" and they've pitched all other the other things you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 02:23 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
200-1500 would be a decent range

Old 09-10-2022, 03:38 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,796,455 times
We paid $1,200 for two wills, regular POAs, health care POAs and medical directives. Do you really want to trust that an internet document will do what you want?

Old 09-10-2022, 05:03 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Do you really want to trust that an internet document will do what you want?
It might for someone who doesn't have a lot of complicating factors (partnerships, business interests, extended family, exs, etc). Best to at least check for requirements their state of residence might impose on wills; specific boilerplate, notarized, witnessed, not recognizing a holographic...

Old 09-11-2022, 09:00 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I was wondering how much to plan to spend to get a will done. I do not need a trust. Or should I just do it myself using the online services?
I think it is worth it to buy a copy of WillMaker (or similar), and go through it, answering all of the questions. Worst case, you decide you do need a lawyer, but at least you will know what questions need to be answered, special circumstances to consider, etc. In the long run, the $70 or so you spend on the software will be a small price to pay.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:19 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I was wondering how much to plan to spend to get a will done. I do not need a trust. Or should I just do it myself using the online services? It seems like attorneys never want to give you a price until you've done a "consultation" and they've pitched all other the other things you can get.
We used an online will maker (sorry, I can't remember which one, or if it was free) just to get everything organized. We printed our wills out (one for each of us) and met with an attorney go over them. She advised us on some things we hadn't thought about, such as making the wills self-proving (I think that was the term), added a couple of details, then she rewrote them using her software. We met with her again to get the "new and improved" wills signed and notarized. Amazingly, she did all that for $150. I would have expected to pay at least $1000 for that.

I definitely recommend having an attorney at least go over your will if you do it yourself. It's the only way to know if you've done something wrong that could cost your heirs a lot of money, time, and/or heartache down the road.

Old 09-11-2022, 02:51 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
We used WillMaker online. It's actually a bit more detailed than my parents' will that their attorney drew up decades ago.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:21 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I think it is worth it to buy a copy of WillMaker (or similar), and go through it, answering all of the questions. Worst case, you decide you do need a lawyer, but at least you will know what questions need to be answered, special circumstances to consider, etc. In the long run, the $70 or so you spend on the software will be a small price to pay.
If you’re curious what the paperwork looks like, pay the $70 or whatever… but if you decide to instead use a lawyer, DON’T share the online generated paperwork with them. I made the mistake of doing similar with my divorce, and it complicated things and lead me to believe certain things were required when they were simply included in the online generic paperwork as a 1 size fits all bandaid.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:49 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,671,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athair View Post
If you’re curious what the paperwork looks like, pay the $70 or whatever… but if you decide to instead use a lawyer, DON’T share the online generated paperwork with them. I made the mistake of doing similar with my divorce, and it complicated things and lead me to believe certain things were required when they were simply included in the online generic paperwork as a 1 size fits all bandaid.
A divorce is, of course, completely different from making a will. No one should be afraid of revealing something in an online will to their attorney who is helping them make their will.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:39 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
my brother-in-law paid his lawyer $5000 to prepare his will. When BIL died, it turned out the lawyer didn't sign the will, so it was invalid. Didn't return the fee, either.

So everything went to his wife. His siblings, who were mentioned in the will, tried to sue. It was a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics