Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:16 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,261,491 times

Advertisements

Within six months..

Dow 4,000
Unemployment 35 percent

Thank you Republicans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,876,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Within six months..

Dow 4,000
Unemployment 35 percent

Thank you Republicans
lol... partisan

Old 09-29-2008, 12:22 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,064,687 times
As of right now, the initial voting for the bailout fell short by over a dozen votes from what it needed to pass in the House of Representatives today. However, House members can change their votes until the vote has officially closed.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:23 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,792,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
As of right now, the initial voting for the bailout fell short by over a dozen votes from what it needed to pass in the House of Representatives today. However, House members can change their votes until the vote has officially closed.
How long before it officially closes?

Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
No, Intel stock has taken a beating since 2002, but the company is still around and people still buy computers. And so on and so on. I don't like oil cartels too much but I am buying gas every week. Until people understand the concept of company/stock, the brainwashing will continue and people will continue to believe what they hear from Cramer and the likes.
Well I didnot think we would go to zero employment ...but these factories will be functioning at a slower pace and more people will be out of work.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
lol... partisan
More than two-thirds of House Democrats voted for the bailout, while half of House Republicans voted against the plan. If any party is to blame for not passing the bailout it is Republicans. Kind of strange since they are the ones that suggested the whole thing.

Anybody think any banks will fail this week, now that WaMu and Wachovia are gone, I'm sort of wondering about National City, there is too much speculation on that one. Another run on the bank would just be terrible for the stock market right now, I don't understand why people that have less than $100k in the bank take their money out before it fails.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:27 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,983 times
Man guys... maybe the politicians on both sides want to save the 700 billion for later when the next president gets into the white house. This way they can use the 700 billion for McCain's corporate tax cuts, or Obama's energy plans... etc.

Why pass this bill and limit the flexibility of the next president when the next president can use the 700 billion for their programs? It's only a month away... this bill looks like a scare tactic... and would pretty much cripple the next administration.

Let the winning candidate have the say on how to spend and the direction of our economy.

-chuck22b

Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,395,151 times
Anybody who thinks this wretched mess is the fault of one political party is uninformed, uneducated, unenlightened, a pointless pot-stirrer or a troll. It is the result of easy money, greed and rolling excesses into one bubble after another for decades-- and that pretty much includes all political parties, as well as millions of non-partisan money-worshippers on Wall Street, Main Street and every other street in this country and abroad. The toxic stew of corporate bandits, lax lenders, irresponsible homeowners and dishonest money managers has little to do with politics and everything to do with greed.

Some version of the bill will pass very soon. There's no way it's going away. Posturing, grandstanding and game playing aside, the result will be the same: some form of bail out will be legislated.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:31 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
WOW ..so I guees it is a good proposal..and when the dems shoot it down they will blame bush for the fallout..
I'm already seeing quotes from Pelosi blaming the Republicans. Will it ever end? Could we just this once have worked together, and not blamed everyone else? Guess not.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:34 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Anybody who thinks this wretched mess is the fault of one political party is uninformed, uneducated, unenlightened, a pointless pot-stirrer or a troll. It is the result of easy money, greed and rolling excesses into one bubble after another for decades-- and that pretty much includes all political parties, as well as millions of non-partisan money-worshippers on Wall Street, Main Street and every other street in this country and abroad. The toxic stew of corporate bandits, lax lenders, irresponsible homeowners and dishonest money managers has little to do with politics and everything to do with greed.
Thank you! I am so sick of all the blaming. It's both parties fault, and it's the individuals who took out more loans than they could afford, and the stupid lenders who didn't care and gave them the money anyway. ARG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics