Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:25 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Did not watch the clip, but the avg life expectancy when this (SS) was introduced (in the 1930's) was around 65.

Basically the intention was you wouldn't collect much SS because you'd die before you had the chance.

People are living longer today and adjustments haven't kept up w/funding (because of politics), so that's why we're in this mess.
You forget, though, that wages are higher now AND women are in the workforce. In the 1930s, women didn't work and were still able to collect half of their spouse's benefits.

Also, people are also working longer and the retirement age has been raised. This offsets the "people are living longer" argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 04:15 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Utter and complete B.S.

How many years of social security could we have paid if it weren't for bank bailout?

I'm so sick of hearing all these lies, lies, lies.

Don't you know they ultimate goal is to keep us poor and uneducated and brainwashed?

I'm an educated, intelligent person. I work hard all the time, and I have to count every dime when I go to the grocery store. Hmmm, how many meals can I get from that butternut squash over there? Any protein on sale today? There's not a chance for me when I get older, not a chance. The day I can no longer work and earn an income is the day I crawl somewhere quiet to starve and die.
yet you miss that ss is a ponzi scheme, immoral and any intelligent person could do far better saving that 15.2% a year on their own

Old 11-09-2008, 04:24 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,161 times
healthcare is, with higher education, one of the things that are ridiculously overpriced in America. The US Government invests as much as double on healthcare than other countries with UHC do. It is a vicious circle, as Medicine students usually end up with tens of thousands of dollars in debt. I'd say just decrease the tuition fees and then allow a more controlled public healthcare system, and of course, get rid of those stupid ambulance-chasers lawsuits.

I've read a book about Springsteen. When they were touring Europe in the early 80's, one of the bandmates' wives got appendicitis while in Sweden. They were staggered when she was just taken to the hospital, she got surgery and didn't pay a dime. It's a joke that a lot of Americans would be safer if they suffered from some serious condition (eg a heart stroke) overseas than at home.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
You don't have to watch or read anyhting but the congressional committee on social security to learn that it is in deep trouble. They had hearings for a long time;headed by Senator breaux of La.Basically concluded that thyree programs SS;Medicaid and medicare now take like 6% of the 18 % of GDP that the feds take in from all sources. But like 2040 at the arte expected to grow it will take 16% of the 18%. That will leave 2% for everyhting else. That is why the office of budget gave a wraning ;as required by law;to the president. Why he proposed changes. Like the congressional study nothing was acted on.Like energy and everyhting else Congress will just put it on the backburner until there is a crisis. When SS exceeds what is being brought in there will be real problems. Huge payroll tax increases or much lower benefits.On the above post I know severalo people that got sick in euorpe and it was noit free. Know one that just came back into canada from a cruise and lost his heart meds. Paid a doctor $200.00 to get three prescriptions written out with no exam. Maybe Springsteen but not common people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics