Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM

89 posts, read 262,009 times

Advertisements

I am independent in my policitcal views having voted for both repbulicans and democrats. But I am a capitalist at heart and conservative in spending, always will be. Right now I feel like someone has just kicked me in the stomach.
I voted for Bush in 2000(which turned out to be a mess due to his running wild spending). This year I was torn and ended up voting for Obama. This was after I about fell off my chair when I heard McCain say he was going to buy everyone's mortgages!

For those who say Obama is going to socialize the country, please it has well begun. These bailouts make me want to throw up.

Let's start with AIG. To some of my prevous posts, people might think I am defending them. I am not. What p#sses me off about this AIG situation is that no one is talking about the 78 BILLION in Credit Default Swaps.
Let's not focus on the root of this problem, let's focus on a subsidary of AIG, American General who is actually profitable and makes the company money. Let's sensationalized a prepaid convention and a 23K seminar and not focus on those who are responsible for 78 BILLION IN CDS. Let me say it again, 78 BILLION!!!!!!!

Next one, the banks and the big bailout. Boy does this one ever stop growing?!? FANNIE AND FREDDIE and wanting to have everyone in a home was just dumb. No other word, just dumb. People bought homes they could not afford and the rest is history

Now the Automakers. The media whores in Congress will go on and on about helping the little guy. These people make 80 an hour will top benefits for life. I am proud to be an American, but our car industry refused to change and not get fuel efficient. Let them drown

Politics is one thing, but losing the principles our economy is another. I just feel sick. I would have rather have everything fail and start over then these damn bailouts. I would equate the feeling to not working all year, but getting a reward because the printer made a mistake and put your name on a plaque. You got the plaque and it says your a winner, but really you are not.

Does anyone have this same feeling? Sorry for blogging and ranting, just hate what is going on in our economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 08:09 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,217 times
Don't even begin to apoligize, TennisDD. You speak what's on the minds of thousands of people and you said it quite well. Who's next in line to get bailed out? Where does it end? Lots of people made too much money for too long and many others who did not make enough money overspent. It's a no win situation, and these ridiculous bailouts are not going to fix much.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,397 times
Just don't bail Bush and Cheney out of jail.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 PM

38 posts, read 70,997 times
You don't have to apologize. The bailouts are nothing more than more money for the criminals. In fact,those who aren't p-off should be the ones apologizing.The apathy in this country is sad.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:34 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Both great men..! History will shine brightly on them. They saved your butt for eight years... Bow down and pray for them.....

Old 11-13-2008, 08:36 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
Quote:
Politics is one thing, but losing the principles our economy is another. I just feel sick. I would have rather have everything fail and start over then these damn bailouts.
I feel the same way.

One thing I've been wondering about is the 'preferred shares' that the Fed plans to buy in all the companies. Are they going to create new shares, or is Paulson going to buy his buddies existing voting shares to keep them from going down with the ship?

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 11-13-2008 at 08:46 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 08:39 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,537,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Can we add this to the anyone feel like I do? Everything coming back to Bush and Cheney has to be one of the most annoying things I hear throughout the day ("Manny being Manny" being just a tad higher, along with "it is what it is").

Grow up and do some independent thinking please.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:02 PM

89 posts, read 262,009 times
Glad to hear I am not alone. I agree with bls5555, let's put politics aside on this issue.
Again, it is comforting to know you are not alone. I love this country and think it is the greatest on earth, but these last couple of months, have just made me rethink the future of this country(with politics playing zero part since both parties are guilty).

Old 11-13-2008, 11:06 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisDD View Post
I am independent in my policitcal views having voted for both repbulicans and democrats. But I am a capitalist at heart and conservative in spending, always will be. Right now I feel like someone has just kicked me in the stomach.
I voted for Bush in 2000(which turned out to be a mess due to his running wild spending). This year I was torn and ended up voting for Obama. This was after I about fell off my chair when I heard McCain say he was going to buy everyone's mortgages!

For those who say Obama is going to socialize the country, please it has well begun. These bailouts make me want to throw up.

Let's start with AIG. To some of my prevous posts, people might think I am defending them. I am not. What p#sses me off about this AIG situation is that no one is talking about the 78 BILLION in Credit Default Swaps.
Let's not focus on the root of this problem, let's focus on a subsidary of AIG, American General who is actually profitable and makes the company money. Let's sensationalized a prepaid convention and a 23K seminar and not focus on those who are responsible for 78 BILLION IN CDS. Let me say it again, 78 BILLION!!!!!!!

Next one, the banks and the big bailout. Boy does this one ever stop growing?!? FANNIE AND FREDDIE and wanting to have everyone in a home was just dumb. No other word, just dumb. People bought homes they could not afford and the rest is history

Now the Automakers. The media whores in Congress will go on and on about helping the little guy. These people make 80 an hour will top benefits for life. I am proud to be an American, but our car industry refused to change and not get fuel efficient. Let them drown

Politics is one thing, but losing the principles our economy is another. I just feel sick. I would have rather have everything fail and start over then these damn bailouts. I would equate the feeling to not working all year, but getting a reward because the printer made a mistake and put your name on a plaque. You got the plaque and it says your a winner, but really you are not.

Does anyone have this same feeling? Sorry for blogging and ranting, just hate what is going on in our economy
Don't feel bad you are definately not alone.

I played by the rules. Worked Hard. Saved my pennies. Passed on the fancy & tempting cars & big screens & McMansion. Sometimes I just want to scream.

Why are you giving them money!! MY MONEY!! AIG, the Banks, The debtors screwed up. Now becasue of their stupidity & greed my 401K is down 1/3rd, my savings are making diddly squat in the bank, inflation is eating away at both of them and the feds are busy cutting checks to bail out those responsible for all this. When I struggled nobody cut me a F--ckin Check!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:19 AM

707 posts, read 1,293,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisDD View Post

Don't apologize, could have wrote it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics