Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 08:55 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times

Advertisements

Here’s my situation. I own a house outright. I had a Realtor do a CMA that valued it at about $215k (A year ago, it would have been $270k). It is a modest, but nice house, that is currently adequate for our needs. However, lately it seems like the neighborhood is going downhill somewhat. There are some run-down areas a couple miles away, and I think some of that influence is creeping in. Two weeks ago, our nice white vinyl fence was “tagged.” The police came out and said the symbols were gang-related, but most likely kids trying to look tough. Additionally, the area is a working class area, and a significant number of the kids in the schools do not seem to be college bound. So I would like to move my family to a somewhat more upscale neighborhood with better schools, where their friend’s families are more likely to share our educational goals and values.

I have done some searching, and there are great deals on construction foreclosures in some of the nicer areas of town. For $280k (pre-negotiation), I can get a home that is significantly newer and nicer in a more desirable area. That means I would be able to get into such a place with an $80k mortgage on my income of $70k. Easily within our means.

But I am really conflicted. I really enjoy the security of not having a mortgage, even a small one, given the economic climate. My office has not had a lay-off in years. That said, my company is dependent on military and NASA funding, and given our current political and economic climate, I could see cuts occurring. As people more versed in the current economic situation, would you ride out the storm or take the leap to a place more suitable in the long-term for my family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 09:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Didn't you ask this on other topic?

If the LOCATION that your current home is in is LIKELY to deteriorate and the LOCATION of the home you can afford is far better than this may be an excellent time to improve the HARDEST negative to overcome in ANY real estate deal!

As to your own job/financial status you ultimately must decide what makes sense for you. Few would suggest there are any eminent cutbacks in general military/NASA type spending. There is widespread agreement that high tech is vital to the recent success in quelling rampant violence in Iraq, expanding our intelligence gathering in Afghanistan, and generally putting less soldiers in harms way. If that is the sort of thing you do, and you have skills that others will respect, I would be very confidant in your long term career prospects.

A small mortgage ought to weigh far less on your mind than the prospect of owning a home in a troubled area...

Old 11-26-2008, 09:41 AM

Yes ... I asked a question in the RE forum a few days ago. I just can't decide. I'm probably too conservative with my finances for my own good. Then again, it's allowed us to be in a financial situation few others my age are. In any case, I appreciate the insights in both cases

Old 11-26-2008, 09:48 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I would not characterize a hesitation to upgrade in the current situation as "too conservative", it is prudent.

The maxim of real estate has/is/will always be LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION -- if you can get into a better (or best) neighborhood that is pretty much as smart a move as you can make.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:56 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Look, I am financially conservative as well. I can understand wanting the best for your family. But isn't there just the teensiest bit of wanting to "upscale" yourself and family??? I detected that. I think a better neighborhood is definitely advisable, especially for your kids. But consider "downscaling" the type of house. Better neighborhood, smaller house. Do without the granite countertops and whirlpool spa in the bath. Maybe you'll find one that does not have a 3-car garage.

YES I advise a move to a better neighborhood if you have kids and there are signs of gangs moving in. You don't want that for the kids. But you don't want to jeopardize your mortgage-free status, either. My advice: do a LOT more looking around. Substitute "upscale" for "safe". Find a house that will be an even exchange or better yet, put some cash in your pocket.

Remember - houses are hard to sell right now. Whatever you do, be sure you have your present house sold before buying the next one. If you don't, and opt to take out a 'temporary' mortgage instead, your family could be left with a mortgaged home in the event that you die.

Ordinarily, I'd say "go for it", but these are not ordinary times. You may want to consult your attorney about all the details (yes, attorney) before making this move.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:08 AM

Those are good points. There might be a bit of upscaling desired, but I really wouldn’t want to downscale the home from what we have. We have 1700 sq feet, 4 bedrooms. We have two young kids and are looking to adopt another. I’d like to at least keep the same size and maybe upsize a little bit. But you are right – granite countertops and 3 car-garage are luxuries, not necessities. We actually have the whirlpool spa, but I could live without that – I’ve used it about two times since we’ve lived there

Our current yard is awesome – quarter acre totally fenced, and it’s great for the kids to play in. I’d like that too, but some of the houses I’ve been looking at have smaller lots and slightly more room inside. Those kinds of trade-offs I’m good at making. It’s the financial commitments in the uncertain times that are harder for me. Even the similar houses in the nicer neighborhoods would require a small mortgage of maybe $40k once I paid the transaction fees and the premium of the better neighborhood.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
IF you can sell your current house... upgrading areas would be advisable. Your house size is not extravagant. I would try to find a spot next to a nice park, as that really helps resale and it is nice to have the city mow your playground. Since you are conservative, I don't need to stress not buying a "California Special' (4+ bedrm, 3+ car garage, $500k+). While there are tons of those very cheap at the moment... high property and income taxes in the future + a shrinking family size demographic dictates these types of homes will be tough to unload in the future.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:45 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
IF you can sell your current house... upgrading areas would be advisable.
I agree. You'll get more bang for your buck upgrading in a down market, assuming that you buy something that will be in demand again when the market turns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics