Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 03:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Who said credit is tight ?
Who said the "consumer" is holding back and saving their money ?
Who said we have an economic crisis ?
Who said we're in a recession ?

Phooey..the American consumer lives and spends more than last year.
Why that figure is a bailout or two for some banks.

Early data shows strong Black Friday - USATODAY.com

snippet:

"Sales on the day after Thanksgiving rose to $10.6 billion, according to preliminary figures released Saturday by ShopperTrak RCT Corp., a Chicago-based research firm that tracks sales at more than 50,000 retail outlets.

Last year, shoppers spent about $10.3 billion on the day after Thanksgiving, dubbed Black Friday because it was historically the sales-packed day when retailers would become profitable for the year."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 03:08 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
Maybe they all shopped on the credit cards they hope the government will have to bail out.
As for me, this year is strictly cash and will be a little less flashy than previous holiday seasons.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Well; they al;so say that savings are up from a negative rate to 3% this last report.But then peole have stopped buyign many big ticket items such as cars ;so this leaves more money to spend otherwise ;I guess. Their gasoline cost are also lower but even then they say alot less peole travled. My guess is that peole are just adjusting their spending.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:58 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,230 times
I actually spent $350 or so yesterday. There was some good deals on a few things. At target I got a Xbox 360 Pro with 2 games for $240.

Regardless, credit is tightening, consumers are saving more, we do have an economic crisis etc.

What happens on a single day doesn't mean much at all. Any increase is likely do to better bargains and increased traffic. A more meaning figure would be how much it increased per capita.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:08 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Not bad. This will help.

I think overall holiday sales will be a little lower but not MUCH lower. This news is encouraging, isn't it? I'm still not spending a dime for the holidays, but I think the public at large sees this year as pretty much a normal year. Most of my family doesn't know anything about any downturn o recession.

Some people will just say that the public is going into more debt and that this news just points even more toward a total collapse next year...

Old 11-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
.....But then peole have stopped buyign many big ticket items such as cars ;so this leaves more money to spend otherwise ;I guess......
Makes sense to me.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:13 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,727 times
Pretty encouraging. I suspect the big gas savings over the past 3 months helped some people spend a little more. Just keep watching those unemployment numbers, if they get much worse we are in trouble but this was good news.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I actually spent $350 or so yesterday. There was some good deals on a few things. At target I got a Xbox 360 Pro with 2 games for $240.

Regardless, credit is tightening, consumers are saving more, we do have an economic crisis etc.

What happens on a single day doesn't mean much at all. Any increase is likely do to better bargains and increased traffic. A more meaning figure would be how much it increased per capita.
Uh;a 3% increase over last year isn't anyhtign to sneeze about.It was a sign that people are willing to spend and at least think they have more money. The savings is also very encouraging.Ohterwise you can ignoire all the bad numbers too. Certianly a reprise over all the doom and gloom predict of the spending on Friday.Seems some only like bad news.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:33 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,954 times
We might find that a lot of people are actually getting Christmas gifts on black friday this year and won't be doing much more shopping later in the season?

If I had any money I might have considered doing that lol.

Also, maybe it's just me but I've never seen "black friday" advertised and promoted so much as it was this year, with such deeply discounted items. The ads were everywhere. Maybe I just never noticed in the past.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:37 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,454,356 times
It doesn't mean anything other than people were saving up for the sales. How will the holiday shopping season look as a whole? Wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics