Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:18 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I'm inspired by the history of thousands of years of gold as a monetary metal. Nothing's going to change there.
Well you're right nothing is going to change history. But what does that have to do with the viability of a return to metal shiny things as money? We haven't been doing that for a rather long time. Its really a psychological matter, money only works if everyone things it works. Pretty much nobody alive today has experience with using gold as money. If gold is no longer thought of as money by the general public, then it will never become money.

Face it, if the system collapses you're going to be left with a bunch of shiny things nobody cares about. You may as well collect Rai Stones.

Quote:
Qualified people in certain fields are still hard to find. You as a computer science major should know how difficult it is to obtain resources in a niche field. I'm in data mining/natural language, and as a hypothetical organization involved with this (e.g. google, ask, microsoft research, IBM Watson labs, etc) I would not have the luxury (yet) to micromanage hiring this way as it is EXTREMELY difficult to find truly educated folks in this sector (most candidates from colleagues' anecdotal information are MS/Ph. D. educated at minimum)
I'm talking about employment in general not some niche field. But even in some specialized fields you get many applications. Do you think Google is having a hard time finding people knowledgeable about data-mining? Now, if we are talking about people doing cutting edge research that is a different story, but also a different issue. This is an issue of intelligence.

By the way, I don't have any degrees in computer science. That would've been a waste of time.

Quote:
Bankruptcy would show up on the report, and would be a 100% denial of a job regardless of how educated the person supposedly was.
This would actually be stupid, especial once you get up to very high skilled jobs. Some of these people can hardly find their way home at night let alone manage their finance. These people tend to be overly focused...so screwing up their finances really says little about what they'll do for your company. You aren't hiring them as your next CFO you're hiring them to do research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:01 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Well you're right nothing is going to change history. But what does that have to do with the viability of a return to metal shiny things as money? We haven't been doing that for a rather long time. Its really a psychological matter, money only works if everyone things it works. Pretty much nobody alive today has experience with using gold as money. If gold is no longer thought of as money by the general public, then it will never become money.

Face it, if the system collapses you're going to be left with a bunch of shiny things nobody cares about. You may as well collect Rai Stones.
History has a habit of reminding people about this pesky "gold is money" phenomenon. The reminder usually comes as a ***** slap to the back of the head to the broke suckers holding paper money during a hyperinflationary period. People in Argentina and Weimar who held gold were almost certainly suffering like the rest of the citizens, I'm sure.

Quote:
I'm talking about employment in general not some niche field. But even in some specialized fields you get many applications. Do you think Google is having a hard time finding people knowledgeable about data-mining? Now, if we are talking about people doing cutting edge research that is a different story, but also a different issue. This is an issue of intelligence.
Actually, I am quite familiar personally with how hard of a time Google is having hiring these folks. I've been out there several times this year. Not because they are trying to court me, but rather the grad students in my group.

Quote:
By the way, I don't have any degrees in computer science. That would've been a waste of time.
Fortunately, my former employers and university where I teach are none the wiser on your revelation. I hope they never discover how much of a waste it was.

Quote:
This would actually be stupid, especial once you get up to very high skilled jobs. Some of these people can hardly find their way home at night let alone manage their finance. These people tend to be overly focused...so screwing up their finances really says little about what they'll do for your company. You aren't hiring them as your next CFO you're hiring them to do research.
Come on now. Your idea of "highly focused" makes me picture some just out of college hack who can't balance their checkbook. The highly disorganized ("focused") individual you speak of should never be let close to a computer or perform any but the most menial and non-critical task like cleaning toilets. Alternatively, they should veg with their iDork gadget in mommy's basement and call it a day.

Like I said, when these people are swimming in debt and living hand to mouth, they tend to lose focus at their job. While they may be loyal to a certain degree out of necessity, they become yes men/women and lack critical thinking skills that are channeled elsewhere. I don't want these folks doing anything important in an organization I was running.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:49 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
History has a habit of reminding people about this pesky "gold is money" phenomenon. The reminder usually comes as a ***** slap to the back of the head to the broke suckers holding paper money during a hyperinflationary period. People in Argentina and Weimar who held gold were almost certainly suffering like the rest of the citizens, I'm sure.
So this is a response to my comment in what way exactly? Most currencies during the Weimar republic were backed by gold. None, no major currency has anything to do with gold. The difference is obvious...and is a matter of psychology. In order for gold to be money others have to attempt it as such and that is unlikely to occur again much like people aren't likely to start using shells or stones as money again.

But save your shiny metal things, whatever makes you happy.

Quote:
Fortunately, my former employers and university where I teach are none the wiser on your revelation. I hope they never discover how much of a waste it was.
Of course they won't, its a monetary matter. Just as the English department isn't likely to realize what a waste of space it is. I have taken a number of computer science courses though, and it became obvious at some point that it was just bastardized mathematics. Computer scientists just tend to lick up the droppings of Mathematicians and even more scarier....Philosophers and then try to canonicalize them into some boring subject. I'm not saying everything they study in computer science departments is pointless, just that computer science as a degree program is a bit odd.

Quote:
Like I said, when these people are swimming in debt and living hand to mouth, they tend to lose focus at their job. While they may be loyal to a certain degree out of necessity, they become yes men/women and lack critical thinking skills that are channeled elsewhere.
Certainly, there are people where this could be true of....but the sort of people I have in mind are in debt or have otherwise screwed their finances because they can't seem to focus on anything but their research.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,435 times
Quote:
Like I said, when these people are swimming in debt and living hand to mouth, they tend to lose focus at their job.
There are other types of people who are unable to focus a their job although they are financially well. Ever thought of family problems, sickness in family, etc?

Quote:
While they may be loyal to a certain degree out of necessity, they become yes men/women and lack critical thinking skills that are channeled elsewhere. I don't want these folks doing anything important in an organization I was running.
How do you know that they would lack critical thinking that are channeled elsewhere because of these problems. The only thing you know for sure is "there is a POSSIBILITY that they would lack critical thinking because of problems at home." To me (in engineering field), as long as the person knows the technical aspects and can show that they know, it's good enough, and I will pay the person accordingly. This is not to say that I do not consider their future performance due to debt (or family/personal) problems, but rather not prioritizing it against them.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I would hope from your post that you have no debt and you don't live on borrowed money and future earnings potential. And you must pay off all your credit cards each month. Do you have a mortgage, any car loans, student loans? If you have any debt like that then you don't own those items. You are using phoney money to live on but hey it's all good.

Ermmmm......

"It's not against the law to destroy your own house..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford
This isn't against the law? Hrmmm...seems like it would be.
Is it your home, or the banks? I've always assumed it was the banks until the note was paid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Maske View Post
No, YOU own your house, not the bank. With, of course the exception of foreclosures.

In the case of real estate, the Mortgagee is the lender or bank. The Mortgagor is the borrower. The borrower is the one who is giving the mortgage to the bank...it's not the bank is giving a mortgage to the borrower. The bank takes the MORTGAGE (not the property) and holds it until that particular property is paid off.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:49 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
I'm inspired by the history of thousands of years of gold as a monetary metal. Nothing's going to change there.

People who say "this time it's different" are usually the same people who invested in dot bomb or real estate.

Business tends not to roll this way because the jobless figures aren't anywhere near high enough to do this. Qualified people in certain fields are still hard to find. You as a computer science major should know how difficult it is to obtain resources in a niche field. I'm in data mining/natural language, and as a hypothetical organization involved with this (e.g. google, ask, microsoft research, IBM Watson labs, etc) I would not have the luxury (yet) to micromanage hiring this way as it is EXTREMELY difficult to find truly educated folks in this sector (most candidates from colleagues' anecdotal information are MS/Ph. D. educated at minimum)

Bankruptcy would show up on the report, and would be a 100% denial of a job regardless of how educated the person supposedly was.

You can certainly appreciate like myself as someone who's involved with statistical analysis the inverse correlation of consumer debt (aka CC balances) and personal responsibility.

Hi ViewFromThePeak,

All I ask is on what basis do you consider gold the perfect money? When I posted the sad chronicle of the Long Depression and the confiscation of the Great Depression all I hear are crickets. No inert metal sitting in a vault can protect us. Only an educated and vigilant society can afford any protection.

No gold cheerleader here has refuted or addressed the international wealth transfer that would occur. Any country that chooses to monetize gold immediately sells itself out from under itself as gold is received in exchange for that society's goods and services. What if Germany decided to monetize Gold? Great, I would take any gold I have and buy an estate. India has lots of gold jewelery. They would be thrilled to buy up the country with it.

I already gave an example, that was ignored, about two islands where one decides to monetize coconuts. If all the money is not produced natively then that percentage which exists elsewhere represents an instant loss in proportion. That island will be sitting on a hill of coconuts. Everyone off shore will have everything else. They will laugh it up as they plant more coconut groves just like some Aussie will that just made his dirt into a viable mine. It was dirt at $2000-$3000 per ounce gold extraction cost but not anymore. Mountains will be blown apart, mines will reach into the abyss to give the stupid Americans what they want.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:23 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,835 times
All I ask is on what basis do you consider gold the perfect money? When I posted the sad chronicle of the Long Depression and the confiscation of the Great Depression all I hear are crickets. No inert metal sitting in a vault can protect us. Only an educated and vigilant society can afford any protection.

All youve done is provide one of the many reasons I hate FDR-so yes i agree gold being stolen by the govt from its citizens is damaging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics