Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:50 AM

60 posts, read 221,404 times

Advertisements

This forum has some really creative people on it, so I would like to know how you all are finding ways to save money. We all know about coupons and eating at home. What are some new (or old) strategies you've implemented (or heard about)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 08:09 AM

355 posts, read 958,364 times
When dining out, try three or four course meals instead of five. Also, instead of the bottle of Bourdeaux, try a Chatenuef de Pape.

When car shopping, consider a well appointed Mercedes E class instead of an S class sedan.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:13 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,367 times
I think Google would be your friend.

- Cancel home phone and just use cells.
- Cancel cable and get Netflix or a library card.
- Buy a wireless internet router on Craigslist and give it to your neighbor, then cancel your internet and use theirs.
- Sell your plasma.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:17 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
I think the "consumer products" section of City-Data would be a better place for this discussion than the Ral/Dur/CH one, but locally:

I put off getting a new car, which I was all set to do this year.
Put off getting a new computer, " " " " " " " "
Have been more diligent about clipping coupons
Donate less to my favorite charities :-(
Never have eaten out much, but at work I nearly always take my lunch (it amazes me how many of my co-workers spend $8-10 EVERY DAY for lunch going out somewhere!)
NETFLIX instead of going to the movies
Library instead of buying books.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:41 AM

60 posts, read 221,404 times
- Buy a wireless internet router on Craigslist and give it to your neighbor, then cancel your internet and use theirs.

Very funny!

I agree about the surprising number of coworkers who eat out every day. Not only is it unhealthy, but it's expensive! I am really interested in what local folks are doing, so I figured I'd start here...

Old 02-18-2009, 09:43 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,438,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
I think Google would be your friend.

- Cancel home phone and just use cells.
- Cancel cable and get Netflix or a library card.
- Sell your plasma.
I'm surprised how many people still have unsecured networks.. don't they realize others can use it??

Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,427,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
I'm surprised how many people still have unsecured networks.. don't they realize others can use it??
Shhhhhhh!!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 AM

757 posts, read 2,084,110 times
1. Look at the weekly grocery ad and plan your meals for the week according to what is on sale. Make lots of soup and pasta based meals to save a whole lot of money. If chicken goes on sale one week, stock up and store in freezer until you need it. 2. Buy a brita filter and drink water instead of soda. 3. Only get basic cable which is only roughly $10.00 a month and get netflix or blockbuster online. Combined would be cheaper than standard cable. 4. If you are going to eat out, use those coupons that end up in your mail box and select a restaurant based on the coupon and order water instead of soda when eating out. 5. If you are going on vacation, use vacation rentals by owner website and rent a vacation home instead of staying in a hotel...ends up being much cheaper as long as you bring another family with you.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:01 AM

91 posts, read 115,855 times
Thumbs up Top 13 money-saving tips

Top 13 Money-saving tips:

1. Go to a barber's shop (clean/hygenic) instead of a hair-styling salon. The barber cuts twice the hair at half the price.

2. Fresh fruits and vegetables are always cheaper than pre-cut veggies and fruits.

3. If you are married, have ur baths together to reduce water consumption.

4. Car pool with your trusted friend/neighbor or use the old humble public transport.

5. Buy paper towels/tissue from the Dollar store, its 1/3 rd the price.

6. Reader's digest reported recently that 10% of what you buy at the grocery store simply gets tossed away. So, make a list of items that you REALLY need and finish the perishables first.

7. Buy a warmer blanket and adjust the heater to 70 def. F (or lesser) at night if you have no small children in ur house.

8. Call credit card companies and request them to lower your APR. Usually, they listen if you speak up. (However, this one cannot be guaranteed owing to the bad economy.)

9. Buy in larger quantities (e.g. a month's supply of paper towels) whenever possible.

10. Unless you are all into internet gaming, just buy the SLOWEST internet package available. For e.g. Time warner has one (700+ kbps) at just $19.99 per month. And my last bill said that they were upgrading me to 1.5 Mbps without any price increase.

11. No cable until the economy is stable! Netflix is superb. I watch the online Netflix movies even with my BASIC time warner internet (700+ kpbs).

12. Do interval training and burn all that fat. This way, you tend to be more active and tend to sit less on your couch with a bag of chips and soda. Give up chips/soda and all other junk food as these're primary causes of obesity/diabetes and a host of other "expensive" diseases. By staying healthy, you will also cut on your medical bills!

13. Be happy! Times change.... (Research shows that people who smile and laugh and remain joyful/positive/optimistic tend to eat less junk food and have no extra food cravings. In a bad economy, the sales of junk foods goes up dramatically, don't get into this trap!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilville View Post
This forum has some really creative people on it, so I would like to know how you all are finding ways to save money. We all know about coupons and eating at home. What are some new (or old) strategies you've implemented (or heard about)?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:56 AM

18,109 posts, read 15,690,551 times
1. I stopped my monthly cell phone plan (which was costing me upwards of $500/year) and switched to a Tracfone wireless. I wasn't using the minutes I had (450/mo) on my monthly plan. Now I spend less than $100/year and currently have a bank of about 1,400 minutes with specials/double minutes promos, etc.

PERFECT for me and sooo much cheaper!!

2. OH and instead of regular home phone, I use Viatalk VOIP...I got a $199 +tax for TWO YEAR deal. Unlimited long distance. I was paying approx. $30/month for local phone service + 200 LD minutes. Slashed that baby down big time!!

3. NO more buying books. Library only! Or borrow from friends. But seriously. The library is a terrific resource.

4. Cut out all premium cable channels.

5. Never buy your coffee from $tarbucks and other places...make your own every morning and put it in a thermos. It adds up.

6. Make/take your lunch everyday. Save the eating out for more special occasions or at least cut back some.

7. Declutter your house and your life and sell it on ebay or Craig's List.

8. Empty your pockets/wallet every day of all change...put in big jar. Use this as your 'fun' money when the jar fills up.

9. Increase your 401K % at work and it will show up bottom line in your paycheck.

10. Resolve to not put anything on a credit card in which you cannot pay off that SAME month. Make a religion of not paying interest charges on any depreciating asset.

11. No car loan...pay it off or get a cheaper car you can afford.

12. Go to the library and borrow one of the Dave Ramsey books. He's the guru on living debt-free.

13. Have kids? Make 'em earn half the money for something they want when it isn't Xmas or their Bday. Then offer to match it but only once they have their half first...in cash. It will teach your kids the best lesson of their lives (my dad did that with me...though I didn't appreciate it at the time, I sure do now!).

14. Cut the movies out to no more than once a month and bring your own snacks/drink. Better yet, pool your resources with a friend or 2 and do Netflix or rent DVDs.

15. Entertainment? Have more sex. It's free (usually). Play with your dog(s), talk to your kids. Talk to your neighbors. Join a book club and get your book from the library. Get creative--you can be amused and entertained for less $$$.

Last edited by lottamoxie; 02-18-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics