Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:23 AM

159 posts, read 632,630 times

Advertisements

I do not tell my wife this, but w/o her contribution to household finances, I'd be eating ramen noodles 6 days out of the week. I was reading the thread about the squeezed middle class on this forum, and no matter what one side or the other side says about the issue, in reality the only thing that matters to most is how their own household is getting on with the economics of it all. So, if you have a partner or housing mate contributing to household expenses, do you think you could shoulder the expenses of your residence and still save money/have some discretionary income, etc. if your were on your own? What I am getting at is that many of us have formed an economic structure dependent upon two incomes for our continued well-being. Those that can maintain a household and have one bread-winner, a big cheers to you, but please I'd rather hear from those that depend upon two incomes. I am interested in how you think things would be if all of a sudden you were on your own financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 08:10 AM

901 posts, read 2,988,603 times
My BF and I are planning to move in together within this year after he proposes. I've been maintaining my apartment without any help for years. When he moves in, it will help of course, but I don't need his income. When we buy something, we will probably need two incomes or else we will not be able to save much money.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,885 times
A better question would be.. how many people are struggling out there and not getting a roommate?
The lady who wrote the book "Nickel & Dimed" never had one and she struggled. IMO she struggled more because of her poor decisions.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
A better question would be.. how many people are struggling out there and not getting a roommate?
The lady who wrote the book "Nickel & Dimed" never had one and she struggled. IMO she struggled more because of her poor decisions.
Most of us would concur, either through experience or common sense(!), that divvying up costs of a household with someone cuts down costs. Those struggling can find a room-mate, if applicable. I have a few family members and friends who go it alone but could substantially lessen their financial burdens if they had a co-resident. They choose not to have a co-resident and kvetch about money. It's their choice.....

Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcellentFudge View Post
Most of us would concur, either through experience or common sense(!), that divvying up costs of a household with someone cuts down costs. Those struggling can find a room-mate, if applicable. I have a few family members and friends who go it alone but could substantially lessen their financial burdens if they had a co-resident. They choose not to have a co-resident and kvetch about money. It's their choice.....
Wow. I learned a new word, kvetch. Cool!

Anyway, yes it is common snense that dividing finances would bring in more money. I thought about it a lot myself. Then, I decided that I would rather have my privacy and the opportunity to do what I want for a little while, rather than a couple of extra dollars. When I get married, that freedom will be lost. So, I have no regrets about choosing to live alone for a few years. It will be coming to an end in the near future anyway

Also, I don't kvetch about money. I save 1/4 of my income and manage to live an okay life.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times
My whole philosophy is centered around living as minimally as possible and having a very high savings rate.

At first I wanted to buy a home (ie. 3bed/2bath) but now i am just going to go for a studio or 1bedroom. Whichever is cheaper. It is well worth it not having a mortgage payment!

I could get a roommate etc but there is always sacrifices you have to make. For example, you can't have anything very valuable in the home because of getting a potential thief as a roommate. Likewise there are other sacrifices you have to make such as privacy and who you can bring over. Is it worth the cost? IMO, no.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
My whole philosophy is centered around living as minimally as possible and having a very high savings rate.
My father always preached to me about saving my money and not buying stuff I did not need. When I was a kid, it did not sink in that much. I wanted things. Now, I see what my father was talking about. Having money saved buys you time when you need it. No ifs, ands,ors, buts about it. The times I had hours at work cut or a lay off happen, I had savings to fall back on to pay bills and allow me time to find work.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcellentFudge View Post
I do not tell my wife this, but w/o her contribution to household finances, I'd be eating ramen noodles 6 days out of the week..
How is it that your wife doesn't know this? Do you two discuss finances? It is nothing to be ashamed about. My BF and I know that we can live a better life together than we can apart.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
How is it that your wife doesn't know this? Do you two discuss finances? It is nothing to be ashamed about. My BF and I know that we can live a better life together than we can apart.
LOL.
What I don't tell her is that I actually would look forward to eating ramen if it could save me money. She knows my finances and we discuss money and costs of things, etc. I just would not feel comfortable telling her that I depended upon her for income.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,445,732 times
If you discuss it and she knows the finances you do not need to tell her - she already knows, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics