Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:30 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times

Advertisements

If they are offering 0 % financing, they are doing it instead of discounting the vehicle. If you are putting down that large a downpayment, you should be able to get a better deal.

Also, you could buy a used car and save money. New cars are never a good deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:03 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Isn't 0% usually only for specific models or cars? The few times I looked, it was always for a trim line or model higher up the food chain than I wanted.
People tell me the dealer makes very little profit on the entry-level no-frills car, aka "college kid" car. I'm 56, and that's still all I want or need.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:24 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,843 times
Default Pay cash for a experienced car

I would pay cash for a used car. Borrowing money, even at 0% for a product that drops in value as fast as a car does not make sense to me. If this 14K is all you have, I would save it for your emergency fund and save up for a car, until then continue to drive the beater.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:34 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
On a 0% financing deal....put your cash in the bank and use the 0% money on the car. Make money on you cash, because a new car is like throwing money away.

Personally, I would never buy a brand new car. The depreciation on a used car is bad enough.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:31 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
Hi all,

so for quite a long time I've been driving a beater and saved money for a new car. I could put down about 14k (please no discussion about what car to buy). Now there are a lot of 0% financing deals out there, and people are telling me I would be stupid to put down that much money on a 0% financing deal instead of putting it into a CD. My reasoning however is, that i'd rather put down some more $$ and have a small monthly payment, because otherwise I'd run into the risk of spending the "intended" down payment elsewhere. I know myself

Is it really that stupid to put down a large amount on a 0% deal? Am I missing something here?!
I don't think it's stupid at all. I'm one of those who doesn't like to have debt, so when I bought mine I put down as much as I could, and then made double or triple payments so I could pay it off early.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:41 AM

21 posts, read 125,927 times
Default Just Pay Cash for a Car

Here's a novel idea for ya... Instead of putting a down payment on a new car, why not take your down payment and PAY CASH for a car?

I cannot understand why everyone in America thinks in terms of Payments. If you pay cash for a car you have NO PAYMENT AT ALL and you own the car.

So many people think in terms of driving a beater, rusted falling apart car OR they want a Brand New car from the dealer. WHY not just buy something Used but in Great Condition? There are many used cars out there that look and drive like new. They may have 50,000 miles or so but for many quality built car brands 50,000 is just getting warmed up. I have driven many of my cars to 300,000+ and all of my cars are shiny, new looking and great driving reliable used cars.

Americans need to smarten up with their money handling skills and stop thinking in terms of payments. I have never in my life paid more than $10,000 for a car and I've owned Porsche, Mercedes, Lexus, Corvettes, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, you name it. I buy USED then drive it for a few years then sell it and when I sell I often get equal or in a few cases MORE than I paid for the car!!

Buy USED and pay CASH.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
0% interest is free money. A free loan. Why would you put one cent down on this?

Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 AM

880 posts, read 2,025,295 times
No free lunch with 0% the dealers just raise the price you will pay with 0% interest.Go into a dealer who advertises 0% interest tell them you want the same car but you will pay cash I guarantee you a lower price.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:21 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Year old thread they've already bought their car...

Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH777 View Post
Here's a novel idea for ya... Instead of putting a down payment on a new car, why not take your down payment and PAY CASH for a car?

I cannot understand why everyone in America thinks in terms of Payments. If you pay cash for a car you have NO PAYMENT AT ALL and you own the car.

So many people think in terms of driving a beater, rusted falling apart car OR they want a Brand New car from the dealer. WHY not just buy something Used but in Great Condition? There are many used cars out there that look and drive like new. They may have 50,000 miles or so but for many quality built car brands 50,000 is just getting warmed up. I have driven many of my cars to 300,000+ and all of my cars are shiny, new looking and great driving reliable used cars.

Americans need to smarten up with their money handling skills and stop thinking in terms of payments. I have never in my life paid more than $10,000 for a car and I've owned Porsche, Mercedes, Lexus, Corvettes, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, you name it. I buy USED then drive it for a few years then sell it and when I sell I often get equal or in a few cases MORE than I paid for the car!!

Buy USED and pay CASH.
This poster has it figured out. His information posted above comes from experience. I assure you the OP has his/her heart set on a particular BRAND NEW CAR and will not listen under any circumstance to solid advice about buying a used car.

It is ALWAYS better to buy a used car. If you want something decently new, then buy a car 1-3 years old. Like the poster above said, the car will have a ton of life left.. it will just be broken in by the fool that bought it brand new and paid through the nose for it. It can be more than 14k and you could have some very minimal payments for a short period of time, that is ok as long as they are extremely affordable and won't be for a long time.

The advice I'm giving you comes from experience as well.. I have purchased 2 brand new cars and paid them off within a year to avoid interest at the time. They are both Honda accords and will last forever, but I should have looked at the used Honda accords that were 1-3 years old and saved myself a fortune. This was 5 years ago and these cars still run like the day we bought them.

With all of that said, you will not take my advice or the poster above. So I will address your question in the way you want to hear it. During the times pre this existing great recession we are having, I would have told you to put all 14k down to get the most affordable note and get closer to paying off the car. However, since the recession my thinking has changed and cash is king right now, and very important to have as a backup.

I would put zero down and pay the higher payments since it's 0% APR. If all the sudden you go through very tough times, you will have the cash to bail yourself out. whereas if you put all the money you down, you don't have much to fall back on.

Putting the 14k in a CD right now is actually a dumb move since they are not paying squat. Just put it in a money market savings account. Don't kid yourself, you can't make anything off your money right now, but it can act as an emergency fund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics