Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:04 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times

Advertisements

It's simply brilliant. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me when I was young.

I was just in my spare room looking for some cables as I'm selling one of my various electronics, only to find the poor thing being choked by "the cable tangle". We all know the tangle. It's a horrific sight. We don't want to deal with it. We don't have time to deal with it. But some of us have money.

$5 a cable untangled and neatly bound X 20 cables = $100.
..... X 40 cables = $200.
..... X 100 cables = $500.

Imagine if you identified only 1 household a day who needed this. That's more than minimum wage at the bottom side, more money than a kid should make on the topside. Christmas lights, regular cables, phone cables, power cables, rope, fishing line (this one is hard), anything that just gets tangled and messy.

The best part is, if your kid is responsible enough, you can use that as an opportunity to teach them the value of a dollar. Help them identify potential customers and then work with those folks to have the money put into an account or something else protected, so your kid(s) learn how to balance checkbooks, credit (actually debit) cards, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:59 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
I dunno I doubt you can get $5/cable, just IMO. But good idea. The tried and true method I used was a paper route and snow shoveling/cutting grass (dependent on the season). That allowed me to buy my cars with cash and pay for most of my college without loans.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:36 PM

I know I have approximately 20-30 cables, and I would gladly pay $100-$150 to get it done without me having to do it, especially if I knew it was helping a youngster learn the value of hard work. I know quite a few others in the same situation. The price can be lowered as the number of cables goes up.

All a kid's got to do is walk the doors in an upscale area. One person a day in a city of millions? Even if you only got 500 customers....I mean that's not chump change.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:50 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,524 times
I'd honestly do that job for that kind of change.. and I'm not poor by any means.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:22 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
If you can get a couple hundred bucks for untangling cables more power to ya! I just don't see you getting that, that's all. Maybe $30-$40 at most. Still better than flipping burgers though.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:40 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
It's simply brilliant. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me when I was young.

I was just in my spare room looking for some cables as I'm selling one of my various electronics, only to find the poor thing being choked by "the cable tangle". We all know the tangle. It's a horrific sight. We don't want to deal with it. We don't have time to deal with it. But some of us have money.

$5 a cable untangled and neatly bound X 20 cables = $100.
..... X 40 cables = $200.
..... X 100 cables = $500.

Imagine if you identified only 1 household a day who needed this. That's more than minimum wage at the bottom side, more money than a kid should make on the topside. Christmas lights, regular cables, phone cables, power cables, rope, fishing line (this one is hard), anything that just gets tangled and messy.

The best part is, if your kid is responsible enough, you can use that as an opportunity to teach them the value of a dollar. Help them identify potential customers and then work with those folks to have the money put into an account or something else protected, so your kid(s) learn how to balance checkbooks, credit (actually debit) cards, etc.

I would quit my job to do this given enough cables to untangle.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 AM

I'm just saying, it's a job, perfect for youngsters to stay out of trouble, perfect for them to learn the value of a dollar based on a job that nobody else wants to do. So many kids get ideas that they'll go to college and instantly land some doctor or lawyer position when reality is a lot more harsh.

Maybe I'm a little more progressive but I would gladly pay that money to some kid who is learning the value of money. If I found some equally open-minded parents I would encourage them to help the kid learn about checkbooks and debit cards - help to teach a value that a lot of us Gen X'ers never got to learn.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I'm just saying, it's a job, perfect for youngsters to stay out of trouble, perfect for them to learn the value of a dollar based on a job that nobody else wants to do. So many kids get ideas that they'll go to college and instantly land some doctor or lawyer position when reality is a lot more harsh.

Maybe I'm a little more progressive but I would gladly pay that money to some kid who is learning the value of money. If I found some equally open-minded parents I would encourage them to help the kid learn about checkbooks and debit cards - help to teach a value that a lot of us Gen X'ers never got to learn.

Its amazing to me what some people consider "kid money". Given enough cords to untangle, you could easily make 100-150 bucks a day. If you do this 5 days a week, thats $750 a week or 39,000 a year, which is more then a majority of adults make.

Id say it would take no more then 15 minutes to take out the average tangle. Thats 4 tangles an hour, or $20 an hour. If you were really good at it, you could push that close to $30 an hour.

Really, the only thing that would stop you from making a solid middle class income on this is lack of customers.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:00 PM

There have been plenty of wealthy kids. Additionally, if it teaches the kid strong money management skills, all the better. Plus it's essentially tax free, since they're by law not old enough to be taxed.

Also, consider how much money parents give their kids: lunch money, icecream truck money, clothes money, candy money, food money, games money, field trip money, toys, sports, etc etc etc...and it adds up a LOT more than this potential income. If they did something like this, they can earn the income for the stuff that they want, while learning a valuable lesson: if you want something, you need money, and if you need money, you need to work for it. Harder the job/less anyone else wants to do it, the more money you could make.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:23 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,898 times
I don't know, I don't have the cable tangle problem and if I did I am not sure I would pay $5 a cable. Maybe a little less? Good idea though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics