Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,655,769 times

Advertisements

You would think with all the unemployed people that this company could find a few American's to do the job ?

Oh and BTW they fired 10-16K in January so they could have even rehired their own.

NYC HIT BY NERD JOB ROB - New York Post

snippet:
"While the city vows to save and create jobs for recession-ravaged New Yorkers, one of its biggest contractors is importing techies from India, instead of hiring local computer nerds.

IBM won a $1.9 million contract with the Department of Finance to analyze its old main databases so they can be improved, but the company has transported "consultants" from Mumbai and other parts of India to do most of the work."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 06:29 PM

20,186 posts, read 23,904,879 times
The problem isn't foreign workers, its cheap labor... you need better incentives for hiring domestic workers or even disincentives for those who hire foreign workers...

Old 06-29-2009, 07:03 PM

26,270 posts, read 49,188,139 times
"P" used to stand for Patriotism. All it stands for now is Profits. Meanwhile our fellow Americans are damned to unemployment.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,380,174 times
Yeah - don't the corps get tax breaks for hiring the H1Bs? I am sure it is somewhere on the internet. This program needs to be abolished it is easily abused and deeply flawed and has outlived its usefulness.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,129,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The problem isn't foreign workers, its cheap labor... you need better incentives for hiring domestic workers or even disincentives for those who hire foreign workers...
The H1B program requires companies to pay the same wages as they would to an American employee.

People seem to have a hard time dealing with the idea that general unemployment could be high, while there is a short supply of labor in a particular area. It could very well be the case that there is not enough qualified folks in the area to do the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
...and has outlived its usefulness.
No it has not. US companies need to have the ability to hire top talent from the global, not just the US. It would hurt American industry if a company could not hire experts from other countries.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:18 PM

8,954 posts, read 11,825,054 times
Not according this news report. Third world workers are paid less than American workers. US schools produce more scientists and engineers than industries need. So why are Americans not hired? The smart people here already know the answer. Folks, remember the internet is great source of information and misinformation as well. Search for the facts yourself. Look for news from news sources, not from people who talk out of their asses.

YouTube - Lou Dobbs: H1B visa scam hurts American college grads

Last edited by davidt1; 06-29-2009 at 11:01 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Folks, remember the internet is great source of information and misinformation as well. Search for the facts yourself. Look for news from news sources, not from people who talk out of their asses.
Says the person posting a Lou Dobbs video......

Old 06-29-2009, 10:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,655,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
It could very well be the case that there is not enough qualified folks in the area to do the work.
IBM fired over 10K people. They could have easily brought back their qualified people.

And while they MAY pay the same salary they do not have to pay benefits.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
IBM fired over 10K people. They could have easily brought back their qualified people.
You are pretending as if all employees are equivalent, but this is not true. A company may be laying off workers in X while having a hard time finding workers in Y.

I don't pretend to know what is going on with IBM, but the fact that they laid off workers by itself does not imply their usage of H1B visas is not legitimate. IBM requires workers with many different skills.

Quote:
And while they MAY pay the same salary they do not have to pay benefits.
They typically get benefits, but there is a decent degree of wiggle room in the salaries since usually their is some sort of pay scale and the H1B workers (unless they are experts) tend to get the lower end. At least that is my understanding. But they are not getting sweat shop wages.

Most of the research on H1B visas shows they are most abused by small companies.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:08 AM

8,954 posts, read 11,825,054 times
Quote:
You would think with all the unemployed people that this company could find a few American's to do the job ?

Oh and BTW they fired 10-16K in January so they could have even rehired their own.

NYC HIT BY NERD JOB ROB - New York Post

snippet:
"While the city vows to save and create jobs for recession-ravaged New Yorkers, one of its biggest contractors is importing techies from India, instead of hiring local computer nerds.

IBM won a $1.9 million contract with the Department of Finance to analyze its old main databases so they can be improved, but the company has transported "consultants" from Mumbai and other parts of India to do most of the work."
Thanks for posting the link to this Article. Yeah, it hurts like crazy to see American workers being abandoned left and right. I find the flimsy excuses maddening. From the Article:

Finance spokesman Sam Miller defended the contract.

"Our systems are so old that there are not many companies that have the ability to work on them. IBM does," he said.

The system is old, yet they hired a 25 year-old foreign worker to work on it? From a technical viewpoint, it would seem that an older American worker would know more about this old system than a recently-graduated young man from India.

Anyway, through the Article I found out that there is a Bill S.887 designed to reduce visa fraud working its way through the Senate as we speak. I thought I was passionate about protecting American jobs. But I have to admit I didn't know about this Bill until I read this Article. Now I am wondering how many Americans are like me: whine and argue on the internet but don't do anything to change things. And I also wonder if our silence and passiveness are to be blamed for us losing jobs to foreign workers. Anyway, here is a link to that Bill. Support laws that protect your, my, our jobs.

S. 887: A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to reform and reduce fraud and abuse in... (GovTrack.us)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics