Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 04:33 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,522,604 times

Advertisements

Have a question for anyone that has experience with this type of thing.....

I wonder what the thoughts are in regards to the amount of time it takes to
execute a will. From time of death.....a year, 6 months?

TIA

Last edited by 2goldens; 08-26-2009 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 04:54 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,462,379 times
I know that executing a will can be a long, drawn out process. My husband and I don't have a will for that reason. Instead, we have our house, posessions in a 'trust'. Our savings/checking accounts at the Credit Union have a beneficary named on the accounts should we die (hubby and I have separate accounts.) We own our vehicles separately, and have a out a 'transfer upon death' form filled out so that in the event of our death, all our beneficiary has to do is present our certificate of death to the DMV and the vehicle will be transferred. Our #1 son is going to be doing pretty well one day! LOL

Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
My mothers will was executed in about a week. Hers was very simple. Basically it said "I'm gone, split it up six ways."

It might depend on what state you live in...

Old 08-24-2009, 08:21 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
if you want it to be executed swiftly, just place will in the center of the paper guillotine cutter and slice quickly!! should be painless.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:33 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
if you want it to be executed swiftly, just place will in the center of the paper guillotine cutter and slice quickly!! should be painless.
But only if one has the WILL to do it!

Your posts are so crazy cruxan.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:09 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,522,604 times
LOL !

thanks for the input

Old 08-25-2009, 07:17 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
I think the amount of time it takes largely depends on just how much stuff is to be divided and if there are any disagreements along the way between the recipients.

I have asked my parents to please use up ALL their money before they go....so there will be no complications among family members.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:10 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I think the amount of time it takes largely depends on just how much stuff is to be divided and if there are any disagreements along the way between the recipients.
This pretty well describes it. Depending on the court calendar, it could take around 4-5 weeks for a will to pass probate. If it is a simple estate, the distribution could be immediate or take several weeks longer.

If there are disputes, anything is possible. I know or have heard of cases that go on for ten years, even into the next generation. The "estate" takes on legal entity status that could, again, last a few weeks or many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8doglove
I know that executing a will can be a long, drawn out process. My husband and I don't have a will for that reason. Instead, we have our house, posessions in a 'trust'. Our savings/checking accounts at the Credit Union have a beneficary named on the accounts should we die (hubby and I have separate accounts.) We own our vehicles separately, and have a out a 'transfer upon death' form filled out so that in the event of our death, all our beneficiary has to do is present our certificate of death to the DMV and the vehicle will be transferred.
A combination of trusts, transfer on death (TOD), payment on death (POD), naming of specific beneficiaries, and clearly written contracts are the way to go to avoid the consequences of often quickly outdated and/or vaguely worded wills and avoiding probate.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics