Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Health officials in California are saying that 1 in 4 people could be affected by the H1N1 virus. This is the letter from Dr. Horton, Director of the California Dept. of Public Health. (By the way, all I can think when I see "Dr. Horton" is "Horton Hears A Who"! )

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/PublishingIma...lifornians.pdf

There are 36,400,000 people in California. If one in four is affected, that's 9,100,000 people. That's a lot! I can see it causing major problems with our economy.

I'm going to stock up on soups and OTC medicine this weekend, because it's better to be prepared than not.
A recent CNN article said up to half of the US could be infected -- 150 million. Of course, that's "UP TO" half.

I'm involved in a tertiary way in much of the disaster recovery, contingency, and business continuity management at my company, and you would not believe the planning for the worst that is actually going on! We are spending BIG BUCKS on a secure quarantine facility decked out with thousands of phones, computers, cubicles, etc. It's incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 07:12 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
The economy is going to have serious impact on retail driven businesses, both the suppliers and the retailers.

However, what will be spent may well see huge shifts to online retailers and away from brick and mortar stores. You can't easily catch the flu sitting in your computer chair.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:36 PM

975 posts, read 1,755,198 times
What economy?

From what I've read on this board I'm pretty sure the economy was destroyed already and that the biggest issue facing us going forward is starvation since everyone is broke and unemployed. I gather that until we arrest everyone on Wall street and over throw the gov't there is no hope of recovery either. So it appears the flu is more of a distraction than an actual problem at this point. Perhaps those that get infected and die are actually the lucky ones?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:16 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Did it cause problems in South America or Australia? If anything we should have less problems as we'll have a vaccine in the middle of the flu season.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:47 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
I have a different take on this "fear of flu" thing that has been in the media for the last 3 years.
5-6 years ago a body was discovered in Alaska preserved in the ice. It was determined that he had died from the influenza in the early 1900's. My father lost 6 of his 8 brothers and sisters in that epidemic. That was before the days of vaccines and the CDC so the body was taken to be studied under the pretense that new vaccines could be produced.
A couple of years later, a company in the UK produced a tainted vaccine. That story was all over the media.
Ever since then, we have been threatened with some sort of pendemic that would kill thousands of people.
Did it ever occur to anybody that we are being set up to have a tainted vaccine that does not work against a flu virus that could possible be introduced worldwide by air?
The baby boomers are an extremely wealthy segment of the population and the poor are a drain on our resources. Imagine the improvement to the economy if this wealth was unleashed or this poverty was destroyed.
It will be interesting to see if medicare and medicaid are the biggest distributors of the vaccine that is being talked about in the media today.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Did it ever occur to anybody that we are being set up to have a tainted vaccine that does not work against a flu virus that could possible be introduced worldwide by air?
The baby boomers are an extremely wealthy segment of the population and the poor are a drain on our resources. Imagine the improvement to the economy if this wealth was unleashed or this poverty was destroyed.
A massive die off would eventually improve many many aspects of life.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:52 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
A massive die off would eventually improve many many aspects of life.
Unless of course you died.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Unless of course you died.
Whether or not I made it is inconsequential and irrelevant to my point.

I'm part of the problem, but I'm not willing to take the fall individually/voluntarily by committing suicide, so it has to be done by a governing body. See Tragedy of the Commons.

Tongue-in-cheek, of course.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:31 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
As I am part of the baby boomer generation, I am also a candidate, however, in my lifetime, I have had the flu twice at age 15 and age 35 so I do have some resistance and do not intend to get vaccinated as I never have in my life.
I live in a rural area and am not currently working and don't have to return to work until April 2010. I am stocking up on all the things I will need for 6 months and intend to stay home. It will be boring but I still have a phone, TV and my computer as well as some work I need to finish on my house.
Nobody knows when your time comes, but I just don't feel great about being murdered. I've spent my whole life taking care of others and I don't have a debt to society that I think I need to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics