Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:15 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Technically, unless you live in Charlotte, NC, you had an account with another bank that was acquired by NCNB in Charlotte. The very large banks honestly don't care about the age of accounts. All they are interested in is it's current profitability. If you have a $1 milion sitting in a low interest account, they will send a car to pick you up to take you to one of their private banking centers which will take care of your every need. Otherwise, the account is no different than an account that was opened yesterday.

BofA maintains a separate set of private bank branches that only their "good" customers can access.
The Oakland CA B of A branch where the account was opened in 1948 is now a storefront church...

The checks still say "Valued Customer since 1948"

If nothing else, the account has a well seasoned track record...

As for a customer with not quite a million in the bank... that describes an elderly widow I know... she has lived in the same home since they were married back in 1934... she had been seeing her fiancee for several years during the depression and finally grew tired of waiting for him to propose... so she did He accepted and said we should look for a home to buy and they did... for cash... all $2600 which was her husband's life savings..

She got so mad and said we could have been married years ago if I knew you had money saved

Anyway... her Bank would not issue her a credit card so she could take a trip to visit her niece... she had over 600k in the Bank and they denied her because her only source of income was a modest Social Security Check...

By the way, she was asking for a $2000 limit... her husband had a credit card which was cancelled when he died years ago...

So even having money doesn't mean much... I got her a credit card and set her up with CD's from a different start-up Savings and Loan that was more than happy to accommodate her... this was in 1990...

How do I find one of those Special B of A branches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 04:51 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,218,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

How do I find one of those Special B of A branches?
I don't know. You might want to do searches on "Private Bank" with BofA.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,103,598 times
Quote:
The Bank was then paying 1/10 of one percent... the local credit union was paying 3%.
3% is an "unnaturally" high rate right now, even for savings or CDs. I would be weary of anybody offering it.

Generally speaking the online banks offer better interest rates than credit unions. Personally, I see no reason to use credit unions. For the most part they are only good for people that like to do their dealings in person. Online they are almost totally inadequate.

There is a credit union here that has been building a lot of new branches and advertising...I went to their website and almost hit my head on my desk. It was just absurd that a company that is spending that much money on new offices and advertising would have such an inadequate website. They are either rather stupid, or are serving an older demographic.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
3% is an "unnaturally" high rate right now, even for savings or CDs. I would be weary of anybody offering it.

Generally speaking the online banks offer better interest rates than credit unions. Personally, I see no reason to use credit unions. For the most part they are only good for people that like to do their dealings in person. Online they are almost totally inadequate.

There is a credit union here that has been building a lot of new branches and advertising...I went to their website and almost hit my head on my desk. It was just absurd that a company that is spending that much money on new offices and advertising would have such an inadequate website. They are either rather stupid, or are serving an older demographic.
I guess it was too good to last... Provident Credit Union has been paying 3% on Super Reward Checking for years...

Looks like it is now 2.5% for 2010

Great Rate:Super Reward Checking Up to $25,000 2.510%
Amounts above $25,000 0.760%

I'm skeptical, co-workers have used them for years... car loans and mortgages...

Federally Insured to 250k... anything else I need to know or should check?

The San Francisco Bay Area Credit Union. The Credit Union for San Mateo County, the San Francisco Bay Area, California, and Beyond.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I guess it was too good to last... Provident Credit Union has been paying 3% on Super Reward Checking for years...

Looks like it is now 2.5% for 2010

The San Francisco Bay Area Credit Union. The Credit Union for San Mateo County, the San Francisco Bay Area, California, and Beyond.
I'd be weary of 2.5% right now too, an institution offering that rate is hurting for deposits. But given that its a California credit union that is not surprising. Also, its certainly possible to offer above market rates if the account has strings attached.

The highest rates I'm seeing out of healthy institution is around 2% and that is for savings/short term CDs.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,683,601 times
Quote:
I'd be weary of 2.5% right now too...

I'm tired of low deposit rates too!

I'm wary of folks that can't spell simple words...

Old 01-05-2010, 04:50 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,218,952 times
Quote:
... Online they are almost totally inadequate. ....
Actually the Credit Unions are usually far a head of banks in their willingless to adopt new technology to provide access. The first internet banking access in the world was at a Credit Union. At the time the major banks would not touch it believing instead that it would be better to force people onto private, for pay, networks like AOL, Compuserve, etc.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,378,876 times
Quote:
I'd be weary of 2.5% right now too, an institution offering that rate is hurting for deposits. But given that its a California credit union that is not surprising. Also, its certainly possible to offer above market rates if the account has strings attached.

The highest rates I'm seeing out of healthy institution is around 2% and that is for savings/short term CDs.

No reason to really be wary of those kinds of rates. These accounts are usually tied in to a certain amount of debit card transactions. My credit union is paying around 2.5% interest on checking up to $25000, but you need to use your debit cards at least 14 times during the month. They are just taking the debit card transaction fees and refunding them to the shareholders of the credit union, who just happen to be the depositors.

The credit union is probably making around 2% on transaction fees for each debit card purchase. They are just refunding that - it's no scam or great mystery.

There's a big advantage to belonging to a financial institution in which you are an owner.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:16 AM

7,006 posts, read 7,000,582 times
Thanks for the link. I have been thinking about dumping my Citibank account for a while and have decided to open a new account with my local credit union.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Actually the Credit Unions are usually far a head of banks in their willingless to adopt new technology to provide access. The first internet banking access in the world was at a Credit Union.
I've yet to see a credit union with a quality website. I'm sure one exists, but forever reason they seem to invest little in their websites.

The reason for this is most likely that their demographic is older, at least from my experience most younger kids don't even know what a credit union is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics