Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:16 PM

1,888 posts, read 3,111,603 times

Advertisements

I'm debating between keeping a job as a Resource teacher at the middle school level or taking an offer in an SDC class at the H.S level. Can anybody offer opinions on the differences? Namely, what are the kids like? The school with the SDC position is in one of the rougher neighborhoods of a major city in California.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 04:06 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
Are you a timid person?

I was a LD assistant in a middle school. I had hands laid on me and rude remarks thrown at me. I am not a weak person, but it killed my desire to teach. There were jewels too. Kids who touched your heart. You have the ah-hah moments that light your day when you realize you have reached in and taught something.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 PM

I've been doing this for seven years so I know-in general-what to expect. I'm afraid moving up to H.S. may be a move that wouldn't be the best fit. But, I'm not sure.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:32 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
In general, I've found that the high schoolers are easier to work with than the younger kids, simply because they're more mature. Of course, there can be BIG differences between Resource kids vs. SDC kids, in terms of behavior (not to mention size).

Overall, though, I prefer to work with the SDC kids.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 PM

In middle school, SDC is home to MAJOR behavior problems. I wonder if H.S. kids (who haven't already dropped obviously) are more reasonable???

Old 07-06-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
In middle school, SDC is home to MAJOR behavior problems. I wonder if H.S. kids (who haven't already dropped obviously) are more reasonable???
That's actually what I meant to say (oops).

I had a middle school 6-8 SDC class and it was AWFUL, especially the younger kids. By the time they were at the end of 8th grade and heading off to H.S., they were almost human.

The SDC kids I had in High School weren't quite so much behavior problems as they were simply kids working on lower academic levels. There was often a great deal of frustration, and still the occasional behavior problem, but overall I really preferred the older kids.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 PM

I really appreciate your feedback. I'm quite torn on this decision! I was worried (ok, still am some) that H.S. SDC kids may be really apathetic.

Also, math-wise, I've really developed my skills at teaching the Algebra I material to M.S. resource kids. Is it a safe assumption that H.S. SDC kids (at a low-performing, inner-city school) are still in need of help in Algebra I? My fear is that the H.S. material will be new enough to me that I will struggle to be effective teaching Algebra II, Gemoetry etc.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I really appreciate your feedback. I'm quite torn on this decision! I was worried (ok, still am some) that H.S. SDC kids may be really apathetic.
Many non-SDC kids in high school are apathetic, too -- it comes with being a teenager .....

Quote:
Also, math-wise, I've really developed my skills at teaching the Algebra I material to M.S. resource kids. Is it a safe assumption that H.S. SDC kids (at a low-performing, inner-city school) are still in need of help in Algebra I? My fear is that the H.S. material will be new enough to me that I will struggle to be effective teaching Algebra II, Gemoetry etc.
I'm going to have to just make an educated guess on this, but I assume that many of the high school SDC students will still be struggling with Algebra I. Resource kids, in my experience, tend to be working on or close to grade level, while the SDC kids are behind academically. That means they're oftentimes still working at the pre-algebra level when you get them, and the highest level math they'll ever complete is Algebra I.

Your best bet, really, is to check with the school to see what level math you'll be expected to teach. And then start looking for some differentiated lesson plans, because you'll really need to "hook" those kids right away and work at keeping them engaged in the subject.

Best of luck to you!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Another issue is, at this particular school, they're wanting me to take classes with kids in all 4 grade levels in the same classes. And they're wanting me to teach English, Science and Math. All at the H.S. level, which I've never taught at before. So, I don't know if I want to do that!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Another issue is, at this particular school, they're wanting me to take classes with kids in all 4 grade levels in the same classes. And they're wanting me to teach English, Science and Math. All at the H.S. level, which I've never taught at before. So, I don't know if I want to do that!
That would be a deal-killer for me. I've done it at the Middle School level, and I felt [relatively] competent with most of the subjects, but once you get into high school level content, that's altogether different.

Speaking of -- does your certification allow you to teach all four content areas at the high school level? That's something else to consider. Finally, what kind of support will you receive? Will you have classroom aide(s) to help? Are there textbooks/materials for all the students, in all areas and at all academic levels?

I dunno -- the middle school Resource class really sounds like a better situation .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education