Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:45 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Wow..let's lay out a blantant stereo-type?

Why are more X people in special education?

Can we define "gifted?" or does it refer to academically motivated?

SRY about feeding after hours...
Thats called the voice of reason.
....and I agree 100 percent.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:47 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Why has Weekend Traveler changed his name but not his M.O.?

That, my friend, is the question.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
A certain subsection of Jewish people are known to have some of the highest IQ's in the world. I can't help but sometimes think that it could be genetic.
Maybe partly. But IQ is not strictly genetic. Environment plays a significant role. That's especially true with young children.

I think there's a tendency to chalk everything up to genetics so no one has to do anything differently or put forth more effort. We do the same thing with weight, even though the rate of obesity 2 generations ago was much less than it is today (newsflash: genetics don't change that fast).

Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Wow..let's lay out a blantant stereo-type?

Why are more X people in special education?

Can we define "gifted?" or does it refer to academically motivated?

SRY about feeding after hours...
But lets be real. Jewish people are pretty much at the top of the economic and academic hierarchies wherever they go. They're obviously doing something different than most of the rest of us.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
My son goes to a school that has a high number of Jewish students. Almost without exception the best students are the Jewish students. Their parents do well and they work hard. Now if you tried hard enough you could come up with a example of dumb and lazy Jewish people but they would be the exception. What is it about the Jewish expeience and culture that causes so much academic success?
My .02 worth.

Jews have faced adversity for centruries, so they know how, more than anyone else, to turn lemons into lemonade.

Most of it is the value system:

--achievement
--discipline
--having "chutzpah" or guts
--lower than average divorce rate
--they read more
--they know how to work both hard and smart
--I've also read that some Jews attribute their success to regular reading of the Torah. There's an interesting link about that here:

Jewish Wisdom for Business Success: Lessons from the Torah and Other Ancient Texts | Red Room

Here is another interesting book on the subject:

Amazon.com: The Jewish Phenomenon: Seven Keys to the Enduring Wealth of a People (9781563525667): Steven Silbiger: Books

Old 10-12-2010, 11:30 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
Being Jewish, I can attest that intellectual and academic achievement is not strictly genetic.

Jewish familes, in general, insist that there their children produce academically and place a high emphasis on study time and school work. The parents take a very high degree of interest in the academic progress of their kids----to the point that a lot us feel the their is some nagging. At the time its considered nagging, but in retrospect it is considered care and concern for their children.

Asian families also place a similar value on academic achievement for their children---again not all is inherited genius and brilliance---it is a supportive environment.

Yes Jews have a significant representation in the worlds of academia, broadcasting, finance, and the political world----this can cause suspicion and villification by many factions. The truth is that Jewish families are driven to see their children succeed in taking advantage of what this great country has offerred to all its citizens.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:49 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
Jews realize that education is portable. If it's in the back of your mind that you may get kicked out of whatever country you're living in at the moment or have to leave your degrees can come with you more easily than any possessions you can carry.

There are generally a lot of books in any jewish household and elders with professional or business careers and degrees. Having to learn hebrew enough to read it by middle school is also a challenge that makes schoolwork look easy.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:11 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
It has much less to do with genetics and much more to do with understanding the importance of developing the mind.

My grandfather used to explain to me that your education, your knowledge is the one thing that can never be taken away from you.

The ability to use your brain (versus your prowess) to earn your living is of great importance. I really do wish that more Black parents would push their children toward becoming doctors and business owners versus pushing them to aspire to the NBA, NFL or MBL.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
Interesting topic. It's funny, I've been studying a jewish marketing/sales guru,
or expert. Who commands one of the top rates in the field. He fits a lot of points in the value system...

chutzpah
achievement
reading more
working hard and smart (street smarts and book smarts)
etc

I don't think it's a blantant stereotype.....they dominate so many areas....hollywood, politics, finance, wall street (hedge funds), the forbes 400 (over respresented), nobel laureates, etc. I think it's akin to "something in the water".

They know that knowledge is portable, and that you can take it with you. If you're being persecuted, or think you're going to be kicked out of whatever country you live in,....knowledge becomes your only wealth.

Why don't other groups develop this attitude towards education? Isn't it something that everyone should be modeling?

Other groups have faced adversity for centuries, why don't they have the same attitude? What group hasn't faced adversity? Which is harder to learn, hebrew or an asian language? Learning a hard language early, probably contributes to achievement later on.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:10 AM

239 posts, read 895,257 times
Default Here is an interesting article

Here is an interesting article about why the jewish people are GENERALLY more successful in school and in life:

http://www.soc.washington.edu/users/...ccess_SP07.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education