Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:21 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,932 times

Advertisements

I'm taking the last of my prerequisites before I apply to a few nursing programs. I hear that the job market for nurses, radiology technicians, MRI techs, and dental hygienist is saturated. Is it like that for most of the health care career job markets? I'm kind of at a lost at what to do for a career. I always wanted to be a chef for as long as I could remember so I worked at a resort this summer and I found out it wasn't for me. So I figured maybe I should go into the health care field because I like being around people and I know I don't want some boring desk job. I also thought I might be able to find a job once I got a degree, but I don't know now. I'm 25 and I should have a degree by now, but I don't. I feel like I need to hurry up and get a degree and I don't want to spend years in school I have been on and off in school for the past 4 years now. I would also LOVE to stop waiting tables, but finding a better job in this economy without a degree is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 02:50 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
Well the job market for just about anything is not great right now.

Do you like your classes? If you think this is something you would enjoy, I'd say to stick with it, but definitely check out all the options in the field to see what is acceptable to you in terms of job prospects, salary, work setting, type of work, etc...

See if you can shadow or something to get a better idea. If there is a special advising office for health programs in your school talk to an advisor and see if there is anything you can do to help you settle on something in the field (there might be some way to go talk to a professor or two in the programs to get a better feel for what it is you want).

Good luck.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:28 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,697 times
Check the job boards at the local hospitals. You will know what they are hiring.
Also, shadowing is an excellent suggested. Just becuase you like people doesn't mean you will like nursing.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Let me add some hot careers, that few people are going into, but with the baby boomer population are going to only get bigger...blind rehabilitation, low vision therapy, Audiology, Speech Pathology, These are some areas that maybe you have not researched, but merit inquiry...many of these programs are federally funded, so expenses are minimal for graduate school, and the jobs are plentiful, in both public and private sector...schools, hospitals, nursing homes, many other places...

Old 10-24-2010, 04:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Nursing jobs are tight right now, for the first time in my 40 year nursing career. Part of the reason is the recession. Supposedly this is a male-oriented recession, so as men lose their jobs, their spouses are keeping theirs, and not taking time off to raise families, etc. This should resolve as the recession eases, and the OP will have to be in school for at least two years anyway.

Some of these jobs that Jasper noted require advanced degrees. In fact, I think most do.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Well the job market for just about anything is not great right now.

Do you like your classes? If you think this is something you would enjoy, I'd say to stick with it, but definitely check out all the options in the field to see what is acceptable to you in terms of job prospects, salary, work setting, type of work, etc...

See if you can shadow or something to get a better idea. If there is a special advising office for health programs in your school talk to an advisor and see if there is anything you can do to help you settle on something in the field (there might be some way to go talk to a professor or two in the programs to get a better feel for what it is you want).

Good luck.
Thanks and I do like my classes. Yes I will see where I can job shadow.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Let me add some hot careers, that few people are going into, but with the baby boomer population are going to only get bigger...blind rehabilitation, low vision therapy, Audiology, Speech Pathology, These are some areas that maybe you have not researched, but merit inquiry...many of these programs are federally funded, so expenses are minimal for graduate school, and the jobs are plentiful, in both public and private sector...schools, hospitals, nursing homes, many other places...
Thanks I didn't think about that!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nursing jobs are tight right now, for the first time in my 40 year nursing career. Part of the reason is the recession. Supposedly this is a male-oriented recession, so as men lose their jobs, their spouses are keeping theirs, and not taking time off to raise families, etc. This should resolve as the recession eases, and the OP will have to be in school for at least two years anyway.

Some of these jobs that Jasper noted require advanced degrees. In fact, I think most do.
Thanks Katiana what kind of nurse are you? I hope the recession eases.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
Thanks Katiana what kind of nurse are you? I hope the recession eases.
Right now, I work in a dr's office, pediatrics. I have worked in maternal and child health for most of my career, e.g. public health, ob, immunizations, and now this job.

One thing I forgot to add is that it is being predicted that many nurses will soon be retiring, and will need to be replaced. I know I hope to do so within the next few years.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:14 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,074 times
I'm a dentist and I thank god every single day I went into this career field and I also thank god that I wasn't some business or marketing major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education