Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 03:43 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,801,550 times

Advertisements

Delaware schools: Race-based approach snarls plan for parental involvement

By NICHOLE DOBO • The News Journal • November 18, 2010

"Leaders at a Brandywine School District elementary school hope to increase parental involvement and boost test scores by hosting meetings with parents based on the race or ethnicity of their children.

Tuesday's first meeting at Claymont Elementary, planned by the school's Equity Team, was for the parents of black children, regardless of their test-score performance.

While school leaders say the meetings offer the chance for "courageous conversations" about achievement gaps, others -- including the governor and a former educator and NAACP leader -- said they wouldn't have endorsed segregating students and parents for meetings"

Our superintendent is receiving some flak for calling this and more minority meetings. A little history first, In Delaware especially in Northern DE our public schools are known for having alot of minority students, and too many are failing. This is not an opinion its FACT. We have more private schools per capita in Northern Delaware than almost anywhere in the U.S. Usually residents who can afford private schools send their kids to to them, or parents move across the line to PA or Jersey just to have their property taxes raised from $1200 per year to $10,000. per year for better schools.
I like what the superintendent did, I've been here for 15 years and have heard the same" We need school reform" every year, I like the idea because its a different approach not the same BS stuff year in and out.
What are some of your opinions?

BTW, the entire story is on Delawareonline, under the schools section you can't miss it.

Last edited by James420; 11-18-2010 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 03:02 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,126,529 times
Could be an interesting approach. Some parents might feel more comfortable bringing up their concerns in a group of their own ethnicity or culture. Parental feedback is important and if that is the purpose of the meetings, then I think it is okay. I could see potential problems coming out of it though, if the school and the people take that information and use it in a way that divides people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education