Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:29 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,932,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It can only *positively* influence the grade, not *negatively* influence it.
Right but it's unethical to report to the world that a kid got an D (a passing grade) in a class when he really earned an F and then did a bunch of unrelated stuff to move his grade to passing territory.

I have no problem with letting kids do curriculum related extra credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,340,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
That's exactly why its unethical. There should be nothing factoring into a student's grade that is not related to the class. If you do poorly on a quiz or a test it should be reflected in your grade. You should not be offered a "buffer" because you participate in the teacher's pet charity, attend a football game, bring in supplies for the class, etc....

I have no problem with extra credit that is curriculum related.

I disagree.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,389,453 times
I only offer extra credit if a student is up to date on turning in all assignments, and any extra credit I offer tends to go above and beyond the content/assignments taught in class.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Right but it's unethical to report to the world that a kid got an D (a passing grade) in a class when he really earned an F and then did a bunch of unrelated stuff to move his grade to passing territory.

I've never been in a class where you can go from failing to passing merely on extra credit. I've never seen a teacher offer that much extra credit.

The kid getting an F is probably not the same one who participates in extra credit assignments.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I disagree.

OK. Do you care to give a reason why you think it's ok to distort someone's academic record with unrelated extra credit?

Remember a grade is not a reward for being a good kid.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I've never been in a class where you can go from failing to passing merely on extra credit. I've never seen a teacher offer that much extra credit. .
Usually extra credit can move you half a letter grade so going from an F (failing) to a D (passing) is just as possible as going from a B+ to an A.

Quote:
The kid getting an F is probably not the same one who participates in extra credit assignments.
You don't know that.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
OK. Do you care to give a reason why you think it's ok to distort someone's academic record with unrelated extra credit?

Remember a grade is not a reward for being a good kid.
Because I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill and I cannot take the assertion that kids are coasting by on extra credit seriously. Sorry to say but the very idea that a student's entire academic record is contingent on the occasional extra credit assignment is really silly to me.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:38 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,819,860 times
Quote:

Some people are not really caught up in the grade to that degree. If they want to add an incentive to a particular action (encouraging people to use the class online forum, getting some needed extra supplies, encouraging community service) they might attach some extra credit points to it.

And really... it is highly unlikely people offer enough in the way of possible extra credit points that it could move a student's grade up by more than half a step (like say a B to a B+). A D student is not going to get a B due to extra credit.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:40 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,819,860 times
Quote:
You don't know that.
Experienced teachers would, yes.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Usually extra credit can move you half a letter grade so going from an F (failing) to a D (passing) is just as possible as going from a B+ to an A.
Then the kid is extremely close to a D and if he is trying his hardest to do well...I don't have a problem with the kid getting a low D vs. a high F.

Quote:
You don't know that.
*shrug* I'd be surprised to find a flat out F student willing to do extra credit work but unwilling to do regular schoolwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education