Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:19 PM

126 posts, read 102,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
President Obama on Monday called for a major overhaul to the Bush-era education policy "No Child Left Behind," emphasizing the need for more effective measurement tools in assessing the success of teachers and schools, and pledging that "we cannot cut [funding for] education" despite the nation's economic woes.

In remarks at an Arlington, Virginia, middle school, Mr. Obama challenged Congress to send him an education bill to sign "before the next school year begins," and outlined a series of proposed reforms that he argued would make American students more competitive in the global arena.

"The best economic policy is one that produces more college graduates," he told the audience at Kenmore Middle School. "We need to make sure we're graduating students who are ready for college and ready for careers."

"We have to reform 'No Child Left Behind,'" he said, arguing that "the [program's] goals... were the right goals," but that the methodology of the legislation was not effective in actually producing them.
Read more: Obama: U.S. must reform "No Child Left Behind" - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Absolutely.
Speaking as a teacher NCLB, while a good idea for having minimum standards, is fatally flawed.

The flaw is this: it is relatively easy to raise scores from 40% passing to 80% and make AYP. It's almost impossible to go from 95% to 96%. Don't make that and you get put on the watch list, don't do it the next year (and now your number is 97%) and you get reconstituted. Those last 5% represent the kids who, for various reasons, won't, or just plain can't, meet the standards.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:57 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Does anyone know the percent of students going on to college in countries that are more successful in educating their children? I'm curious if they are that much higher than us.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
At the same time he made sure fundig for the most successful alternatives in Washington was closed. Rethoric on school success.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:23 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
At the same time he made sure fundig for the most successful alternatives in Washington was closed. Rethoric on school success.
Don't think that's the President's fault - District schools get funding boost | Lisa Gartner | DC | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2011/03/district-schools-get-funding-boost - broken link) The city of Washington DC, like all other city's in this country, is having budget problems.

Whoever created NCLB just didn't think it through. Any program that relies heavily on test scores to prove success is being short-sighted.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:28 PM

549 posts, read 1,929,926 times
I was wondering when Obama would do something about NCLB. I mean, I knew he had more pressing matters, but I was still waiting...

Old 03-14-2011, 06:52 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Does anyone know the percent of students going on to college in countries that are more successful in educating their children? I'm curious if they are that much higher than us.

Most of those successful countries track. We don't. They also don't tell every parent their kid is college material.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Most of those successful countries track. We don't. They also don't tell every parent their kid is college material.
Which is true, but we'd never do that.

NCLB is turning to ECLB.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:49 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,235,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Which is true, but we'd never do that.

NCLB is turning to ECLB.
I've always called it NCAA--No Child Allowed Ahead.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
We need to start holding students accountable and stop teaching to the least common denominator. The culture of youth doesn't place an importance on education. I mention this because if kids had the desire to learn, they would learn, regardless of their situation. Stop teaching for tests and start teaching with an emphasis on creativity and critical thinking.

I support year round school (4 quarters, 10 weeks in/3 weeks out). I support ending math as a course, and placing math into required courses. Since math is used in everything, why not teach the theory and make it applicable to a relevant topic? It would improve interest in learning the most boring subject. In short, make every course interdisciplinary. Have every course combine a liberal art or two with science or math (geography & geometry, psychology & statistics, and or history of [name the scence or type of math]). Another option would be keeping the standard track from K-10. In 11th and 12th grade, students go into tracks. In these tracks, they are taught relevant skills to the subjects they are being taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education