Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:59 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times

Advertisements

I've been working on my Spanish lately and I've been having mucho fun with it. I started with a book called Magrigal's Magic Key to Spanish, which is great and cheap--maybe $10-15? It's an oldie. Then I keep switching around my resources. I have a book of poetry by Pablo Neruda which has his poems on one page and the translation on the facing page so you can compare as you read. there is a great website called Spanishdict.com where I can look up words and hear them pronounced and it has flashcards. I have a little book of idiomatic expressions and a couple of travellers books that I got at garage sales. In all I probably didn't spend even $20. But of course my best lessons came this summer when I went to Peru and hardly anyone knew English so we were forced to speak it and it's amazing how quickly it comes when you do that. Oh yeah, and after I get better I'll use my DVD player and watch Spanish language movies and shows on netflix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 04:37 AM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times
Here are some cool links:

Language Guide--Foreign Language Vocabulary, Grammar, and Readings

Learn language faster! WebReader embedded web translator for reading foreign language web pages

WordReference.com--online dictionary

BBC - Languages - Homepage

Last edited by lhpartridge; 04-08-2011 at 05:47 AM..

Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Thanks for that--tried to rep but I already rep you too much it says.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:57 AM

378 posts, read 577,060 times
There are also youtube courses for languages.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,689,188 times
LiveMocha is good and offers a lot of languages.
This is a good French immersion TV program . The show was produced by Yale University. all of the lessons are available online.
Resource: French in Action

There are also a lot of language applications available for cell phones

Old 04-08-2011, 09:48 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I've been working on my Spanish lately and I've been having mucho fun with it. I started with a book called Magrigal's Magic Key to Spanish, which is great and cheap--maybe $10-15? It's an oldie. Then I keep switching around my resources. I have a book of poetry by Pablo Neruda which has his poems on one page and the translation on the facing page so you can compare as you read. there is a great website called Spanishdict.com where I can look up words and hear them pronounced and it has flashcards. I have a little book of idiomatic expressions and a couple of travellers books that I got at garage sales. In all I probably didn't spend even $20. But of course my best lessons came this summer when I went to Peru and hardly anyone knew English so we were forced to speak it and it's amazing how quickly it comes when you do that. Oh yeah, and after I get better I'll use my DVD player and watch Spanish language movies and shows on netflix.
The study abroad really is key. Even with all of the recent attempts by instructors to recreate an "immersive environment" in the classroom, there is still nothing comparable to spending time in a foreign country. No matter how immersive a classroom setting, it will always come up short.

I would also suggest listening to some music in Spanish while reading the lyrics in Spanish (some liner notes have bilingual versions of the lyrics). The soundtrack to Buena Vista Social Club has bilingual lyrics that are very easy to follow when listening to the music. Of course, that CD might cost you more than $20

Destinos is also available free online. I think that it is a much better program for beginning-intermediate speakers, as telenovelas and Spanish t.v. programs are extremely advanced. You want to build slowly rather than trying to jump into something that advanced right away.

Resource: Destinos: An Introduction to Spanish#

There is also a GREAT and inexpensive language school in Guatemala that I attended. DM me if you are interested and I will give you the name. I highly recommend it.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
The study abroad really is key. Even with all of the recent attempts by instructors to recreate an "immersive environment" in the classroom, there is still nothing comparable to spending time in a foreign country. No matter how immersive a classroom setting, it will always come up short.

I would also suggest listening to some music in Spanish while reading the lyrics in Spanish (some liner notes have bilingual versions of the lyrics). The soundtrack to Buena Vista Social Club has bilingual lyrics that are very easy to follow when listening to the music. Of course, that CD might cost you more than $20

Destinos is also available free online. I think that it is a much better program for beginning-intermediate speakers, as telenovelas and Spanish t.v. programs are extremely advanced. You want to build slowly rather than trying to jump into something that advanced right away.

Resource: Destinos: An Introduction to Spanish#

There is also a GREAT and inexpensive language school in Guatemala that I attended. DM me if you are interested and I will give you the name. I highly recommend it.
I'll second the recommendation for Destinos. I think that's a quality program. If you're a beginner, you'd probably want a book to go along with the video series.

Other than that, read as much as you can, listen as much as you can, and try speaking (or copying speech) as much as you can. News programs make listening easier because you know the context and may already know the news in English. A good pocket dictionary (some of Harrap's) is also good to peruse because these dictionaries tend to have the most useful words and phrases. A large Oxford dictionary is great, but there's a risk of learning too many extraneous words and phrases and you won't know which are in common usage.
Another thing that's helpful (if you can handle it) is to leave on talk radio in Spanish when you're sleeping. There's a lot that gets embedded in the unconscious.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 AM

366 posts, read 775,133 times
Does anyone have a recommendation for Hanyu?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
It's easier said than done, but I learned Spanish on the fly while adventuring in South America for a year after High School. I keep it up by doing a job that requires daily Spanish translation too. The best way to become fluent is immersion.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:49 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Immersion is key, I think. I'm currently trying to learn German... I have a book and have checked out a bunch of websites. We have a native German speaker living in our home for a few more weeks (foreign exchange student), and I'm asking her a ton of questions, plus she's helping me with pronunciation. I have another native speaker coming for a few weeks later in the summer, and she said she'd help me as well. Unfortunately, an extended visit to Germany is not in the cards for us, at least not within the next five years or so, but I'm trying to make do with the German speakers in my life/family coming to visit me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education