Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:52 AM

54 posts, read 116,694 times

Advertisements

I am going to U.S.A. in a year or two depends when (and if) i pass the competition for the exchange,so i was just thinking about what is the opinion of others on exchange students?By this i mean do they look on them as nerds or stupid people (if one has bad English pronounciation) or just like the rest of the students...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:12 AM

433 posts, read 1,229,261 times
Most students in the USA do not treat exchange students like others.

It certainly helps if you have an outgoing personality.

We had a student from Russia and she was outgoing. Things went well for her with friends (a few were made, not many)

Other exchange students that came that were introverted were not received as well.

But, you will be considered a nerd no matter you personality, so plan accordingly.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:23 AM

The funny thing is that i am not a nerd at all,i mean i have all the requierments to pass,a grade C and i know English better than most others,so having a C i am not a nerd at all,strange
edit:i heard that there was a girl going on the same program as me and she barely had a d and a half xd ,in Serbia we measure with numbers so 2.5 and thats the requierment minimum,and she passed,so another example of a regular student

Old 05-11-2011, 06:07 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,200,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdogfball View Post
Most students in the USA do not treat exchange students like others.

It certainly helps if you have an outgoing personality.

We had a student from Russia and she was outgoing. Things went well for her with friends (a few were made, not many)

Other exchange students that came that were introverted were not received as well.

But, you will be considered a nerd no matter you personality, so plan accordingly.
It depends on the school population, I think. Our friends at the high school hosted a boy through AFS a couple of years ago and he was the ultimate chick magnet. I think it also depends on the person's own attributes-- he was a soccer player and a really outgoing sort in general, so the "ooh, cool accent!" thing was just icing on the cake.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:57 PM

Do you know which country he was from? cause i would like to see which accent he had.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:38 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,548,988 times
I agree that if a student is outgoing and nice, he or she will be fine. If they are going to be labeled something, it will have to do with them individually - jock, nerd, shy, etc.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,200,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakefromSerbia View Post
Do you know which country he was from? cause i would like to see which accent he had.
LOL! He was from Sarajevo.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,450,590 times
In my highschool the exchange students were always well received. Even more so if they were in a sport (built in friends so to speak).

Old 05-11-2011, 08:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
I went to a small, rural high school in the Midwest (not the most cosmopolitan area of the U.S., overall), and our foreign exchange students were really well-received, as well, especially if they got involved with lots of extracurriculars, sports and arts alike. An exchange student my senior year was a guy from Sao Paolo, Brazil, and he and I ended up being lab partners in science...got to be friends, and we wrote one another all through college, after he went back to Brazil. We still keep in touch via facebook, and I graduated from high school in 1995, so it's been a while. Back in high school, all the other girls had a crush, thanks to his accent and good looks, but I'm fairly certain that, though charming, he wasn't/isn't interested in girls.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:05 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,751,320 times
If anything, exchange students seem to be really popular, as they're new and a bit out of the ordinary. I think Americans often fall hard for a foreign accent! If anyone considers you a nerd it will only be because of something individual, not just because you're an exchange student. I don't think it's anything to worry about. (and even if you are a "nerd" at heart, nerds have friends, too!)

Much of that will probably depend on location, though. If you're an exchange student at a school where there's already a large percentage of foreign-born students then you won't stand out at all, and people might not even know that you're an exchange student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education