Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:22 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,133 times

Advertisements

First day of school and my child brings me a note from the band teacher stating that starting this year, 5th grade band will be required. The note goes on to explain that instruments provided by the school are VERY limited so we are welcome to BUY OR RENT instruments for our children. I have a problem with our school making a class a requirement but parents may or may not have to rent/buy the equipment. I would think that the school is obligated to provide the instruments for all of the students. Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
I can't see a school requiring all students to take band class--unless it's a very small school and they are trying to justify the band teacher's salary.

When I went to high school, in Florida, the school required one "performing arts" class, which would have been satisfied by Sculpture, Drawing, Chorus, or Band. I suppose a Drama class would have satisfied the requirement as well.

I don't like the concept of a school requiring ANY class--I can see them making recommendations, but not requirements.

I took band, by the way. Played trumpet...and the next year, I got out.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:42 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
in 3-5th grade in my son ES, they had 'band' But they used a recorder $5 (I think) needed. The school also had a supply of old one that were left/given to school when the kids aged up to Middle school. That they could give to kids. All Kids on Free/Reduced Lunches were offered them 1st.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:46 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
First day of school and my child brings me a note from the band teacher stating that starting this year, 5th grade band will be required. The note goes on to explain that instruments provided by the school are VERY limited so we are welcome to BUY OR RENT instruments for our children. I have a problem with our school making a class a requirement but parents may or may not have to rent/buy the equipment. I would think that the school is obligated to provide the instruments for all of the students. Any input?
It sounds like they have some instruments available for students who don't want to rent them. Your choice seems to be, accept one of those or rent one on your own. I'd go the latter if I could afford it as your child will want to practice at home.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Put some rice in a small plastic container, and tell the teacher your child has chosen "percussion" for his instrument.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Extra credit for the kid: Have him design the outside of the container using acrylic paints.

Extra "unschooling" "non-credit" - have him research percussion instruments to learn about percussion music throughout the world - and see if he can find all the different instruments, and their cultural backgrounds, that involve containers filled with rice or other grain, or similar food-like substances (there are many).

Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
My son's school required it in 5th and 6th grade. We rented instruments. My son hated it and sat with his instrument in his lap. I am glad he had the requirement though. I can say the school really tried to get him to buy into it, but oh well. If you can get a kid interested in playing a musical instrument it will help their grades.

This was a private school where you did what the school said, or you were invited to leave. A public school, I would think, would need to provide the instruments.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:05 PM

If a class is required, how can the school expect the parent to pay for materials? I do know that if a students family cannot afford the new T-calculators, the school is obligated to supply the student with one. Why not instruments for band? If having enough instruments for every student were not an issue, why state in the note home that if they run out, parents can buy or rent?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
My son's school required it in 5th and 6th grade. We rented instruments. My son hated it and sat with his instrument in his lap. I am glad he had the requirement though. I can say the school really tried to get him to buy into it, but oh well. If you can get a kid interested in playing a musical instrument it will help their grades.

This was a private school where you did what the school said, or you were invited to leave. A public school, I would think, would need to provide the instruments.

I have to disagree. I know plenty of students who do not participate in band and are honor roll students. The last three Valedictorian's at our school did not take band.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
That just seems weird. Renting an instrument is not inexpensive. We spent about $500 over two years for my son's trumpet, before paying the additional $300. to buy it outright (at which point he decided to drop band, naturally). The school did have some instruments for those who wanted to take the class but couldn't afford the rental fees, but they were limited in what was available.

I think a call to the school is in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education