Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Virginia Middle School | GOP Oppo-Research | Obama Campaign | The Daily Caller

Quote from article "The 8th grade students, who attend Liberty Middle School in Fairfax County, were required to seek out the vulnerabilities of Republican presidential hopefuls and forward them to the Obama campaign."

Read more: Virginia Middle School | GOP Oppo-Research | Obama Campaign | The Daily Caller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,639,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Virginia Middle School | GOP Oppo-Research | Obama Campaign | The Daily Caller

Quote from article "The 8th grade students, who attend Liberty Middle School in Fairfax County, were required to seek out the vulnerabilities of Republican presidential hopefuls and forward them to the Obama campaign."

Read more: Virginia Middle School | GOP Oppo-Research | Obama Campaign | The Daily Caller
Liberty Middle School? What a joke!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Something tells me this is not the whole story!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:26 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default Find the faults with GOP candidates

So easy even an 8th grader can do it.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Something tells me that a political faction willing to stoop this low... and this isn't their first time with these sorts of tactics... why people continue to support them.... oh, that's right... that's right, they are hoping for a bit of quid pro quo

Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Is the Obama campaign smarter than an eighth grader?

The jury is still out.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 PM

578 posts, read 1,295,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Something tells me this is not the whole story!
I agree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC News
The conservative-leaning Daily Caller website reported Thursday that Liberty Middle School teacher Michael Denman told his eighth-grade students to find “weaknesses” among the GOP candidates and send their results to President Obama’s campaign.

John Torre, a spokesman for the schools system, said the kids weren’t instructed to send their findings to the Democrats. Denman didn’t reply to an email.
I'm unsure if it's a newer thing, but on big election years there tends to be some work related to the election. It's common to do critical thinking group work in school.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
I remember doing a similar exercise when I took an American Government class in High School. We had to research all the candidates, come up with their weaknesses (at the time, both the democrats and republicans had primaries). It was such a great critical thinking exercise. I remember watching the debates in class, the teacher helping us analyze exactly what was going on. Even down to what color ties the candidates wore (blue for trust). I learned a lot about politics in that class.

The last part seems odd, but they didn't actually forward the information to the campaign. Sounds like teacher just wanted the students to figure out how campaigns are run. They didn't actually send the info to the campaign. If they did, that would be weird indeed.

I have my students draft letters to their Congressman about an issue related to our class. They have to write 1 opposing the issue, 1 for the issue. "Leaving politics out of the classroom" as quotes from the article, is such total BS.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Wow, I'm surprised this is even allowed.....such an easy assignment! May as well give them A's for just sitting there.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:36 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
It's just a critical thinking exercise. They were not actually going to send the stuff - that's obviously a fiction invented by a conservative parent and inattentive student. It is often useful to have students argue a particular side of a debate, whether or not they agree with it. In fact, it is especially useful to know how to argue against yourself. If you can't find the weaknesses in an argument, then agreeing with someone or something is just blind ignorance. Moreover, without understanding how argument and rhetoric are used in persuasion, one can't successfully build such arguments oneself. I often have students in my essay writing class try argue to silly things that I know they don't agree with just so they can learn about how to build a logical argument and use rhetoric to prove a point.

There was nothing wrong with this exercise until it was taken out of context and turned into a political ploy instead of what it was - an exercise in critical thinking. That poor teacher - he was actually using good teaching practices appropriately, and this is what happens. I can almost guarantee that such an exercise has been recommended at many a professional development meeting for social studies teachers. Most likely he didn't even think it up himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education