Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,976 times

Advertisements

I have a 30 year old friend whose alcoholic parents didn't see that she attended school while growing up. She is currently enrolled part time in a school for adults but is at about a 2nd grade level. Sadly, the school is not very good but it's the only one within acceptable driving distance. Do you think it's feasible for someone of average or below average intelligence to get a GED when they missed out on so many years of primary and secondary education? Would like to hear especially from teachers and special ed teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 05:23 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
I think it's possible but will take longer. She will esp need to work on reading skills and will probably need to take up reading as a hobby, at least for awhile, to get this done. I say this b/c 3/5 of the test will depend on reading skills. 1/5 will be spelling and grammar, but those skills are improved by reading a lot, and then the other 1/5 is algebra. When I worked with special ed kids I always actively discouraged them from dropping out of high school, b/c the GED would be too hard for most of those w/o good reading skills. However, in the case of your friend, I believe that that can be amended. If your friend is truly motivated, this could happen quickly.

I remember hearing a radio interview one day about a kid who had been kidnapped and held hostage in a small apt for about 4 years--I'm thinking from ages 10-14. When his folks got him back and got him back into school, he caught up quickly. At that point he was very motivated and wanted to catch up to his peers and did 4 years work in less than one and bypassed his classmates.

BTW, how do you know your friend is average or below average intelligence? I ask b/c people can fool you and lack of an education does not equal below average intelligence though it can look like it.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Anything is feasible as long as she puts in the effort.

My grandpa went back and got his GED 50 years after he left high school. He's a smart guy but that's a long time to be out of school.

I think as long as your friend puts in the work it takes she won't have a problem.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Maybe she didn't have the opportunity.
... or was embarrassed.

To the OP, do you mean she is reading/writing/knows math concepts at the second grade level, or that she stopped attending in second grade? She can certainly do it, and she will create opportunities for herself and build her confidence if she accomplishes it.

As Stepka said, the reading skills are key. It can take time to build these, but she can build these skills over time. I teach fourth grade... often I have kids who come to me reading at 1st or 2nd grade level and make gains of anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 grade levels in the school year. In a smaller group setting, your friend should be able to make even greater gains. She may want to check with the public library to see if they offer any adult tutoring or GED assistance to help strengthen her skills even more (and/or check out any GED books they have and have concerned friends like you help her as well).

Good luck to your friend.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I think it's possible but will take longer. She will esp need to work on reading skills and will probably need to take up reading as a hobby, at least for awhile, to get this done. I say this b/c 3/5 of the test will depend on reading skills. 1/5 will be spelling and grammar, but those skills are improved by reading a lot, and then the other 1/5 is algebra. When I worked with special ed kids I always actively discouraged them from dropping out of high school, b/c the GED would be too hard for most of those w/o good reading skills. However, in the case of your friend, I believe that that can be amended. If your friend is truly motivated, this could happen quickly.

I remember hearing a radio interview one day about a kid who had been kidnapped and held hostage in a small apt for about 4 years--I'm thinking from ages 10-14. When his folks got him back and got him back into school, he caught up quickly. At that point he was very motivated and wanted to catch up to his peers and did 4 years work in less than one and bypassed his classmates.

BTW, how do you know your friend is average or below average intelligence? I ask b/c people can fool you and lack of an education does not equal below average intelligence though it can look like it.
Thank you for your response--good info. I was thinking that reading would be a critical factor to all areas. Her poor spelling & reading skills make it nearly impossible to read her emails. She can do basic addition and subtraction but slowly. Her verbal skills are poor, also. I don't know how motivated she truly is but know she wants employement and most jobs require a GED. While I don't know her IQ, of course, she seems a bit slow to learn but this could be due to a possible learning disability, too. She is a good mother, and is a good person, very sweet and kind. She wanted help with developing a simple budget plan (which we did together) but I think she needs help with reading most. It needs to be *her* decision but I'd like to see her improve her skills and hopefully get the GED.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
... or was embarrassed.

To the OP, do you mean she is reading/writing/knows math concepts at the second grade level, or that she stopped attending in second grade? She can certainly do it, and she will create opportunities for herself and build her confidence if she accomplishes it.

As Stepka said, the reading skills are key. It can take time to build these, but she can build these skills over time. I teach fourth grade... often I have kids who come to me reading at 1st or 2nd grade level and make gains of anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 grade levels in the school year. In a smaller group setting, your friend should be able to make even greater gains. She may want to check with the public library to see if they offer any adult tutoring or GED assistance to help strengthen her skills even more (and/or check out any GED books they have and have concerned friends like you help her as well).

Good luck to your friend.
Thank you for your post. She did not attend any primary grades as a child. She is at a 2nd or 3rd grade level in school now. I agree about the necessity of reading skills--they are the key to everything. She isn't ready to test for a GED. I'd like to help her with reading--if she wants it. This would be a challenge for both of us, as she lives 10 miles from me so daily sessions would not be possible.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM

Anyone have suggestions on how to go about tutoring in reading? Any recommended reading? I have 3 years of college but have no training in teaching. I know phonics and my reading skills are good. The only tutoring I did was in 4th grade when the teacher asked me to help a couple of boys in class practice reading. I do have patience, however, and know to be encouraging.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:48 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Anyone have suggestions on how to go about tutoring in reading? Any recommended reading? I have 3 years of college but have no training in teaching. I know phonics and my reading skills are good. The only tutoring I did was in 4th grade when the teacher asked me to help a couple of boys in class practice reading. I do have patience, however, and know to be encouraging.
Are there any adult tutoring centers near her?

Here are some resources. The course might take you a while to get through, but it will give you strategies to use.

Unit 2: Teaching Reading to Adults

http://lincs.ed.gov/publications/pdf/teach_adults.pdf

NCSALL: Techniques for Teaching Beginning-Level Reading to Adults

How to Teach an Adult to Read | eHow.com

Good luck!

Old 05-08-2012, 04:31 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
A sped teacher at our high school has had the most success with the Wilson reading program, but I have no idea whether it's possible for an individual to purchase this or not.

Honestly though, the best thing is for her to read, read, read. As she gains experience she will naturally bump up levels. Let's put it this way: I have inattentive ADD and paid practically no attention to anything in school but I loved reading. Because of that, I was actually ahead of my classmates in areas of spelling, reading, writing, and grammar, because all of those things come naturally to those who read a lot. And yeah, I was behind mostly in math b/c I hated it and so I didn't pay attention. My point with this though is that I don't think formal instruction in reading is necessary--just guidance. And, your friend could probably check out those books on CD from the library and the book with it, and train herself to follow along. Her first ones will be rather childish but there may be a series or two out for adults with low reading skills.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Perhaps she could use some of the tricks people do when learning a second language, like labelling objects with post-its with the name of the object on it and turning on the closed captioning on the TV, if that is possible.

Many libraries have literacy programs for adults, as someone already mentioned, and many have adult programs geared toward the GED.

She should tackle the reading first, then the GED prep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education