Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:24 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Ha! Try NOT having a credit card now . PayPal doesn't take cash.
I know, right? And hope you never need a rental car... or a hotel room...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 06:09 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Dude, this is what my husband does for a living. So, I got my info straight from the source. If you feel safe and protected, I'm happy for you. But I'm just sharing what I know.
Yawn. Did that for a living for years. A couple of the most successful start-ups (at the time) in the country. Gave it up, because there is little intellectual challenge in telecom, once you learn it. You are sharing an opinion. Ask your husband how an anonymizer works. Nothing like a fine proxy server.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
So, I bet you are one of those people that pays cash for everything then, huh? And you don't use a phone? I'm just teasing...

I was pretty surprised when I discovered this website: People Search by ZabaSearch - Free People Search Engine Even phone numbers that my husband and I paid extra to be unlisted are somehow on this website. And ALL of our addresses where we had a landline phone hooked up. Since discovering the website years ago, we have not had a home phone. We just use our cell phones. They are still tracked - my hubby works for the company - but they are not listed publicly like this. Yet. That we know of.

It does bother me, the idea of having our personal phone number and address on the internet like this, so we refuse to ever get a landline phone again.

It is impossible these days to not be tracked in some way, we just don't usually think about it or we are not really aware of it. Denial, I guess.
Only a fool would put a phone number in their own name. When I lived in NH, not even the town knew I was there. There are things called 'trusts', that when held by a 2nd party, that party can only disclose information by a court order, so that obviates almost all abilities to find a person, and all addresses were (and are) fictitious. Make your mail address in someone else's name at a PO box, cell phone in someone else's name.... This is not rocket science. The checking accounts/investments are all in someone else's name. The government obviously knows my SSN, and the BATFE has so many fingerprints from me, I think my hands are permanently stained , but that is for a different reason (I have interesting hobbies). And I have a passport.
Of course I can be tracked. Just like to make it difficult (like, what country am I in now?) Here's a hint: it is 7:47PM here right now.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:30 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
I use an iPhone and post on CD and realize my whole life is tracked. I got the iPhone and signed up to CD--my choice. Students going to school who are forced to carry ID's is not a matter of choice. Even college ID's are different cause people choose to go to college. But grade-school children are required to go to school. Completely different matter, IMO.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:

You do realize that the attitude of "ho hum, well I'M not doing anything wrong" is why we have what could effectively be considered (IMHO) stalking of people by marketers, government, etc. don't you?

I'm neither a fossil nor a hermit, and I do enjoy a lot of modern conveniences, but I am sufficiently old enough to recall that this country was founded on 'freedom.'

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin
Why would anyone have a credit card in their own name? It should go through a blind trust, in a 2nd-person's name. Geez, you learn this in about 12th grade.
I totally agree with 'freedom', (NRA Life Member here), but I also believe in anonymity (though the Federal government knows me well). Do your homework.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Why would anyone have a credit card in their own name? It should go through a blind trust, in a 2nd-person's name. Geez, you learn this in about 12th grade.
I totally agree with 'freedom', (NRA Life Member here), but I also believe in anonymity (though the Federal government knows me well). Do your homework.
1. I'm not a grand BS artist.

2. I'm not afraid of being truthful.

3. See number 1.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:

You do realize that the attitude of "ho hum, well I'M not doing anything wrong" is why we have what could effectively be considered (IMHO) stalking of people by marketers, government, etc. don't you?

I'm neither a fossil nor a hermit, and I do enjoy a lot of modern conveniences, but I am sufficiently old enough to recall that this country was founded on 'freedom.'

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin
Paypal does take bank transfers.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Northside Independent School District plans to track students next year on two of its campuses using technology implanted in their student identification cards in a trial that could eventually include all 112 of its schools and all of its nearly 100,000 students.

District officials said the Radio Frequency Identification System (RFID) tags would improve safety by allowing them to locate students — and count them more accurately at the beginning of the school day to help offset cuts in state funding, which is partly based on attendance.

Read more: Students will be tracked via chips in IDs - San Antonio Express-News
I saw this on TV a few nights ago: talk about invading privacy, these kids are not dogs with micro chips to prevent them from getting lost for heaven's sake.

Nita

Old 06-02-2012, 07:56 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I use an iPhone and post on CD and realize my whole life is tracked. I got the iPhone and signed up to CD--my choice. Students going to school who are forced to carry ID's is not a matter of choice. Even college ID's are different cause people choose to go to college. But grade-school children are required to go to school. Completely different matter, IMO.
Unless the parents are so weirded out by it that they choose to withdraw their kids from public school and either pay for them to attend private school or choose to homeschool.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I will be curious to see if enrollment numbers drop at public schools once these tracking systems are put into place. And for every student they lose, they also lose money.

Evidently, though, the schools will also earn money by using the system. I'm not exactly sure how that works, but evidently that is what is going on. From the article: "Two school districts in the Houston area — Spring and Santa Fe ISDs — have used the technology for several years and have reported gains of hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue for improved attendance." I don't really understand how that works? Hundreds of thousands of dollars?

I just don't understand, really, regardless of the controversial issue of tracking, how school districts can complain that they don't have enough money for new textbooks or hiring more teachers to reduce classrooms sizes and so forth... yet they have the money to implement things like this. ?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
1. I'm not a grand BS artist.

2. I'm not afraid of being truthful.

3. See number 1.
If you can provide documented evidence of what I have stated is not truthful, your statements would carry even the slightest bit of relevancy.
I have virtually nothing in my name, and plan to keep it that way. Prove me wrong. Inquiring minds would like to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education