Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 AM

354 posts, read 855,370 times

Advertisements

I always wonderd how adults that have been home schooled or went to high school online feel about their experiance when they get older? I prefer to people that actually live through the experiance.

Do you think your education prepared you for work or college? What about the social awkwerdness that often accompanies being home schooled? I know that it was extremelly difficult for myself who has always been well socialized to learn how to make the transition from childhood to adult. I would imagine that homeschooled kids would have a much harder time with that.

Overall was it a positive or negative experiance? Are you glad you were homeschooled or cyber schooled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I wasn't homeschooled, but I assure you that social awkwardness is really just an individual thing, not a "homeschool" thing. Consider also, that homeschooled students are typically out in the world every day, so it's not really that big of an adjustment once they become adults.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
I'm not sure I understand how school children as a whole are better socialized then Homeschoolers as a whole?

Old 06-14-2012, 01:31 PM

354 posts, read 855,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I'm not sure I understand how school children as a whole are better socialized then Homeschoolers as a whole?
Well this should be obvious since that is one of the biggest criticisms of home schooling.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Well this should be obvious since that is one of the biggest criticisms of home schooling.
It is a myth, however.

Homeschooled children have lots of opportunity for socialization.

Social Skills and Homeschooling: Myths and Facts - FamilyEducation.com

Quote:
In July 2000, the Discovery Institute, a Seattle-based think-tank, published an extensive report on homeschooling written by Senior Fellow Dr. Patricia Lines. She describes several controlled studies comparing the social skills of homeschoolers and nonhomeschoolers.

The homeschoolers scored as "well adjusted." In one study, trained counselors viewed videotapes of mixed groups of homeschooled and schooled children at play. The counselors didn't know the school status of each child. The results? The homeschooled kids demonstrated fewer behavioral problems. Dr. Lines' conclusion? "There is no basis to question the social development of homeschooled children."

Old 06-14-2012, 04:33 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
It may be one of the biggest criticisms of homeschooling but if you think about it critically it doesn't make much sense. Children who go to school spend most of their days in a classroom made up of their age mates plus an adult, their teacher. There isn't a whole lot of time for socializing as most of the activity is directed by the teacher. A child who is homeschooled has the opportunity to be out and about in their community interacting with a wide variety of people of various ages. I'm not convinced that school is the best place for a child to become "socialized". Of course there are exceptions to the rule as there are great schools and there are also homeschoolers who don't get out much but for the most part I'd say the concerns about homeschoolers not being socialized are overblown nonsense.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
"What about the social awkwerdness that often accompanies being home schooled?"

As if there are no socially ackward students in high school.

Given how many HS students are, not socializing with them would be better for the kid.

The Columbine shooters were considered social ackwards by many students, that was a public school. I remember in my own school the social misfits there, probably a social anxiety disorder more than anything, but still socially ackward.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:06 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times
Oddly enough, I'm not one of your requested subjects, either! Perhaps homeschooled parents have better things to do with their time than read CD?

However, in 2004 a book was published entitled Home Educated and Now Adults: Their Community and Civic Involvement, Views About Homeschooling, and Other Traits, by Brian Ray. Among the items covered are reports that adults who were homeschooled:
  • participate in local community service more frequently than does the general population,
  • vote and attend public meetings more frequently than the general population, and
  • go to and succeed at college at an equal or higher rate than the general population.
  • indicate that ~74% of them homeschooled their own kids and another 15% did a combination of private and homeschooling.
This is a short encapsulation of the research:
http://www.hslda.org/research/ray200...inggrowsup.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education