Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:38 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times

Advertisements

I am asking this in response to a recent controversy by some scholar in the NYTimes saying Algebra might be dropped as a requirement to graduation. I think, in the US, some twenty five percent of ninth graders do not complete high school and the biggest stumbling block is algebra.

I remember being told by my instructors that high school is a general preparation for going further in life and many people change majors in college and change vocations later in life. They said you never really know what you will require in your future.

I, personally, believe that math studies train the mind into critical thinking. They help us to look more deeply for the truth and to not be swayed as easily by sweeping generalities.

My husband is an artist. He has used his early geometry in some of his works. I had an esoteric ailment, caught during traveling I believe, that was not adequately treated by six local physicians. I ultimately treated myself and it took a refresher of my high school math knowledge to figure out how.

So, I believe that my early teachers are correct, that you never really know what you will find useful later in life.

I think algebra should be continued to be taught.

I think I could have lived without knowing French, but also wish I would have been taught that earlier, when my mind was more open to a foriegn language.

I think scientific knowledge is growing in leaps and bounds and the understanding of we in the general public, of these things, is being left way behind.
My feeling is that high school should also prepare us, as much as possible, to be self sufficient. I know that I did not balance a checkbook or set a budget or know about personal investing or setting up a basic garden or know the fundamentals of plumbing and wiring in a house. Fundamentals in personal and family dynamics would probably come in handy.
Perhaps high school should be extended for a year so that people can learn these skills, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Honestly I think we need more classes in high school since, like your teacher said, the kids are so young and have their whole lives ahead of them and may change their focus.

I cannot believe anyone would remove algebra from high school curriculum. That is pretty crazy IMO (and this is from an English major in college, but I was always and still am good at math and loved trig especially and algebra, as I think they are pretty fun).

I feel we need more of a focus on math and science in K-12 education not less.

The only classes that I can think of, that probably aren't a requirement anymore anyway that I wouldn't think are necessary, is typing/keyboarding and home economics, things that most people learn on their own or at home.

In college/university, I do think that there should be less prerequisites and that they should be based on major, like I don't see why science/tech majors have to take sometimes 4 semesters of liberal arts classes. I do feel everyone should take writing/composition, reading, basic math, American history, and speech but in limited doses like maybe 2 writing classes and one of each of the others so that we can graduate more college/vocational school students quickly and focus more on their goals after graduation.

I also think we should have more of a vocational component for high school as well and let our high schoolers graduate with a certificate if they so chose, especially students who do not want to go to college right out of high school. They could get an HVAC or auto mechanic certification and maybe go into an apprenticeship versus being forced to take college prep classes even though they don't want to go to college.

Luckily my high school offered this sort of path and I knew people who, when they graduated, had a CNA or were certified medical assistants (we had a medical clinic at our school where they worked). You could transfer half the day and go to another school to get an auto mechanic certificate or cosmetology and even nail technician. Basically give a lot of kids who don't think they are college material some skills, certifications, and experience so they will be ready to join the workforce when they graduate. I don't know why more schools don't do this now. It is a shame since even my former school district no longer offers these sorts of programs for students.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am asking this in response to a recent controversy by some scholar in the NYTimes saying Algebra might be dropped as a requirement to graduation. I think, in the US, some twenty five percent of ninth graders do not complete high school and the biggest stumbling block is algebra.
This is the sort of thinking by "scholars" that leads to the continued dumbing down of our schools. If algebra is a stumbling block, then let's not figure out how to better serve the students and teach them algebra, but let's just get rid of alegbra. What's next? If 10% drop out because they fail to learn to read, should we remove reading as a graduation requirement? It's algebra, not rocket science.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 AM

When I went to high school no one mentioned going to college to me that I can remember. I am glad, though, that I took the college prep coarse of studies because later on I decided that my job was dead end and the company was using the 'no degree' excuse for not giving me a title or salary commensurate with my output. I went on to get an advanced degree. Those college coarses built on those I took in high school. I am glad that I had such a general background.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:35 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,074 times
ACT did a study that found that you need the same level or reading and mathmatics readiness to enter the workforce as you would to enter college. Unless of course you want to flip burgers your whole life but why would you even need a high school degree for that?

"This study provides empirical evidence that the levels of readiness that high
school graduates need to be prepared for college and for workforce training
programs are comparable. These empirical results are also supported by
commonalities seen in the types of knowledge and skills students need to be
ready for college and workforce training programs, even though these skills are
often taught and assessed in different contexts. All of these skills can be acquired
through rigorous high school courses, regardless of the context (academic or
career focused) within which they are taught. The results of this study underscore
the importance of having a common expectation for all students when they
graduate from high school: one that prepares all high school graduates for both
credit-bearing entry-level college courses and workforce training programs
associated with jobs that are likely to offer both a wage sufficient to support a
small family and the potential for career advancement."

http://www.act.org/research/policyma...inessBrief.pdf

Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
Learning a dead language like Latin.

Yeah I know cue the chorus of people saying how it teaches the building blocks and root structure of other languages but if you want that go learn Italian you get 95% of it and can go sing operas or talk while waving your hands around if you want. Go take a course in etymology if you have a future in spelling bees or naming rare moths, that would be a better investment of time than Latin.

You've got x amount of hours for learning, and of that y amount that one can dedicate to language arts. Spending them learning an ancient language instead of additional time in Mandarin, Spanish, French, etc. seems absurd to me.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:59 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,309 times
I don't think any current requirements should be removed, but there should absolutely be a Personal Finance class taught that explains how to budget, important things to budget for, how credit works, etc.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
This is the sort of thinking by "scholars" that leads to the continued dumbing down of our schools. If algebra is a stumbling block, then let's not figure out how to better serve the students and teach them algebra, but let's just get rid of algebra. What's next? If 10% drop out because they fail to learn to read, should we remove reading as a graduation requirement? It's algebra, not rocket science.
It seems almost inevitable that this country will mimic some Latin American countries, in which a certain class of people will get the highest income and the best education and the rest will be left with little. I am not overly concerned with some of these studies. After all, there are student going into college who must take remedial classes, yet they are accepted. I think there, for years, has been the automatic graduation of inferior students from one high school class to the next. I also believe this is changing. We reached a point in which a high school diploma meant nothing.

The move now, it seems, is to train the best teachers possible. There is no substitution for actual learning. The game can only continue for so long. There will always be failures. We must, to succeed as a civilization, to be able to compete with other countries, reward those for good work and just drop off those who cannot keep up.

So, it is important that a child, while young, have the best chance possible. Parents must be impressed how important it is that they start supporting and encouraging their children at an early age. Teachers should not allow disruptive children. There needs to be a place to send the slow and problem learners to.

Excellence can no longer be compromised. We are competing on a world market and the future of our nation is at stake.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Learning a dead language like Latin.

Yeah I know cue the chorus of people saying how it teaches the building blocks and root structure of other languages but if you want that go learn Italian you get 95% of it and can go sing operas or talk while waving your hands around if you want. Go take a course in etymology if you have a future in spelling bees or naming rare moths, that would be a better investment of time than Latin.

You've got x amount of hours for learning, and of that y amount that one can dedicate to language arts. Spending them learning an ancient language instead of additional time in Mandarin, Spanish, French, etc. seems absurd to me.
I think most schools dropped Latin as necessary decades ago.
Yeah, I should have taken Spanish instead of French.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:02 PM

78,363 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Algebra is something people use ALL THE TIME and don't even know it.

Cutting Algebra for the reasons giving is a great way to dumb down the population even more.

If they turned off Jersey Shore and the xbox for 30 minutes a night I could teach them Algebra no problem.

Algebra is arguably the easiest to learn and most practical math beyond learning how to add, subtract etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education