Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Because college kids are not motivated to study the hard stuff these days. Anyone who studies those types of markets should know beforehand that the job market for those degrees blows. I'm sick of Art History majors complaining about not finding a job.
You've never studied Philosophy or taken an college level English Literature class then. It's plenty hard. Hard has nothing to do with it.

Americans have the distinct luxury of choosing (having the freedom) to major in whatever it is they want to. Yes, there won't be as many jobs in the art field as the sciences, but I'd argue it isn't about the major it's what you plan to do with it; making connections, meeting people and being motivated. One could major in business and be a lazy dolt.

You don't want to be pigeonholed into your degree. You need to have interests outside of your major, be creative and again, motivated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 11:36 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This is a very insulting, presumptuous post.

Turn it around. What if I posted in a Chinese forum that "policy" should FORCE more students to take arts classes? Even if they are fluffy or boring, you just have to endure!

People should do what they are good at. What good is it to force a child with NO mathematical ability whatsoever to become an engineer just because YOU deem it more valuable?

Get over yourself.
The point is not which major is more interesting or useful, it is about balance. As I said, too few Americans study STEM. In china, there is no shortage of people trained in liberal arts, though the quality needs to be improved.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The point is not which major is more interesting or useful, it is about balance. As I said, too few Americans study STEM. In china, there is no shortage of people trained in liberal arts, though the quality needs to be improved.
In the US students are given far more control over their own lives than they are in China. It's just the way we do things here.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In the US students are given far more control over their own lives than they are in China. It's just the way we do things here.
Even in China no one forces you to study any particular subject. I am talking about high level policy that needs to be changed here in the US, if it still wants to dominate the world.
By the way, people's interest can change. I know a guy who majored in philosophy studied computer science in gradute school.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:18 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Even in China no one forces you to study any particular subject. I am talking about high level policy that needs to be changed here in the US, if it still wants to dominate the world.
By the way, people's interest can change. I know a guy who majored in philosophy studied computer science in gradute school.
There is no high level policy here in the US that forces students to study particular subjects. Individuals in US have much more control over their lives than they do in China. If you want high level control you need to move somewhere else.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:21 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That's just a generalization. I know MANY liberal arts grads who have great jobs in business, politics, entrepreneurship, etc. because they were knowledgeable about lots of things and had excellent networking skills.

Not every career begins at point A and follows a straight arrow up to success. Often it is a spiral that takes many interesting turns along the way.

If you are open to relationships, interested in people and cognizant of opportunities, you can do well even with a *gasp* liberal arts major.
When did the people you know get those jobs? 6 months ago, last year?

Old 11-07-2012, 01:54 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,884 times
While it's true that not enough Americans study STEM subjects, it's not the case that they are studying "the arts" instead. The most popular college majors in the USA are: Business, Accounting, Nursing, Psychology, Elementary Ed, Marketing, Education, English and Communications, in that order.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:12 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,931 times
OP here is the reason, generally 2 catagories:

1) Looking for an easy major, want to coast for 4 years- go liberal arts

2) Geniuially intersted in liberal arts, hard worker NOT LAZY, intellgient and dedicated to the field just as any STEM major, only the interest is different.

-I find myself in catagory 2, however the job prospects are still very bleak. Hindsight- I wish i reserached more. People say get the internships, entry level etc...- Great advice, however when the guy with the BA in English is competing against the guy with the masters in English plus 2 years of publishing expereince for the SAME UNPAID-UNPAID internship- what chance in hell does the guy with the BA have?

I understand I need experince to get the well paying jobs and I am willing to start at the bottom, but when there is no bottom to start at, what do you do?

Old 11-07-2012, 02:41 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
I think the best route is to stress STEM to your children and point out the types of jobs, availability of jobs and corresponding lifestyle that go with it. If it was easy, we would have more American STEM students. Where we have an edge is in recognizing the creativity developed by also requiring classes in literature, history and fine arts to go along with the STEM focus. I'm not sure it's a lack of choice, rather an expectation of parent's and the home life that STEM is required and good grades are required.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
There is no high level policy here in the US that forces students to study particular subjects. Individuals in US have much more control over their lives than they do in China. If you want high level control you need to move somewhere else.
In China, students are willing to choose engineering and science, NOT miserably forced to do so. It is because of the policy and the culture behind it.

For people with little experience, "freedom" often equals bad choices. In the US I often see people in their 30s or 40s go back to school to study another subject in order to find a job. I admire them, but it is a waste at both personal level and society level.
Of course, one needs to be responsible for his choices, but we should also make sure they make wise choices. On the one hand, we need to assure most students have the "capability" to do what they want to do, and on the other hand we need to give them sufficient information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education