Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Do they still give standardized intelligence tests in grammar school? What are they called? Are Iowa Tests still in existence? At what age are they given and what is the point of giving them, especially in smaller schools where there are no provisions for advanced classes and other niches? Are they a predictor of anything?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 01:13 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
It's called the Dibbles test. It's mainly finding out if the children and teacher's teachings are up to par.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:34 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,719,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
It's called the Dibbles test. It's mainly finding out if the children and teacher's teachings are up to par.
Do you mean the DIBELS? That's not an intelligence test - it's used for progress monitoring in literacy.

There are lots of variations of the old Iowa model, which is probably still in use in some places, like the CAT, the ERB, and many different state versions. They may be given at certain grades as benchmarks, or given in every grade. Depends on the school, district and state decisions that are made. Technically, these are not, strictly speaking, intelligence tests, but they are often used that way.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Thanks for your post. I'm still smiling. Are you a teacher?

Old 02-16-2013, 03:14 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
The "Iowa test" is not an intelligence test, it's rather an academic achievement test.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:18 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
The "Iowa test" is not an intelligence test, it's rather an academic achievement test.
Thanks, tvdxer, can you shed some light on the other questions? I remember these, and I associated tests with Iowa more than I did corn!

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 02-16-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 03:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
The Iowa Test of Basic Skills is just a standardized achievement test like others administered in other states. It's named what it's named because it was developed at the University of Iowa.

Various IQ assessments and other types of assessments are still in use in school settings, but they are predominantly used in the diagnoses of learning disabilities. Students with IEPs are typically subject to such evaluations on at least a triennial basis if further questions come up regarding diagnostics. Most non-disabled learners will not necessarily be administered such evaluations and assessments unless it is for some reason specifically requested.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 PM

29 posts, read 47,530 times
They are typically administered to children that teachers either think are very much ahead/gifted or students that are not doing well/may have a disability. They are not commonly administered to everyone, just children on one side or the other of what they expect the spectrum to be. Most schools will let your child be tested at your request, as their results are then considered "official" which you may need for something or the other (i.e. if your child is a genius and you are trying to get them into Mensa, they may administer one of the Mensa approved tests for you, or if you are in fact trying to get your child diagnosed with a learning disability.)

I believe most children still take some of the achievment tests - Iowa, California, or other. As has been pointed out, this is not at all the same thing. Achievment tests are mandatory and are used as a sort of benchmark for overall progress for the students, teachers, and school overall.

Last edited by Spirograph; 02-16-2013 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: afterthought

Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Thanks for your post. I'm still smiling. Are you a teacher?
I knew about this test because my son had to take it often. He was tested in many of the subjects. He was also tested in Logics.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,502 times
In California, kids are tested every year on "academic progress." Intelligence tests are only give on request, when checking for special or gifted ed needs. Interestingly, when my son was in 2nd grade, his state test scores indicated he should be in special ed. Upon further testing, he qualified for "gifted" classes. So much for an accurate measure of progress. (He thought the state tests were stupid, so he didn't answer the questions he thought were ridiculous.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education