Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 02:59 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,445,643 times

Advertisements

I am a firm believe in studying to acquire a solid, well-rounded, theoretically-based education and not just to score high on a standardized test. This is why I regularly work with my kids at home and never teach them anything in "teach-to-the-test" style. I also don't believe in cramming for a test.

That being said, my older one will take a few standardized tests next Fall and I DO want to make sure he will score as high as possible, just in case these scores will have any significant impact on his academic path further down the road.

I would like to be able to do a mock test for each, beginning to the end, and just get a good feel about what questions might sound like, etc.

What are good sources to find/purchase/download some beginning-to-end mock standardized tests such as ITBS, CRCT, etc? (ability tests).

I saw a sample on the Internet recently and I was quite surprised to see that the questions are much more difficult than what they normally do in class.
So again, a case of expecting high outputs out of low inputs.
Message taken - we need to work and supplement at home, in general.

But I would still want to do at least one top-to-bottom practice for each test.

He will take the ITBS and CRCT.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 07:43 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,679 times
The schools are likely already doing benchmark tests or at the very least doing the practice tests that you can find online in order to help the students learn to take these tests. They also do these to find out how well each student does on these type tests and where they may need additional assistance.

If you still want above and beyond what the school is doing, look up the practice tests online for each of those two and start with those.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
The schools are likely already doing benchmark tests or at the very least doing the practice tests that you can find online in order to help the students learn to take these tests. They also do these to find out how well each student does on these type tests and where they may need additional assistance.

If you still want above and beyond what the school is doing, look up the practice tests online for each of those two and start with those.
I looked online but it's a mess, couldn't find much.
I did fine some sites who sell pricey enough packages or memberships for practice questions.

I thought there may be some free sources but I am not sure what's good and reliable out there.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:34 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,605,078 times
Not sure about you state, but VA has practice tests on the states department of education site. Most likely the school will do this though.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Not sure about you state, but VA has practice tests on the states department of education site. Most likely the school will do this though.
I want to administer at least one such test myself and see what weaknesses he might have - ahead of time, not after.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:02 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,605,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I want to administer at least one such test myself and see what weaknesses he might have - ahead of time, not after.
Like I said that option is avaliable on the VA DOE website. Just check out the DOE website for your state.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:39 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Your school district will send out information on practice online CRCT tests months in advance.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:48 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,585,887 times
Are you talking about the ACT and SAT? My school had us take a PSAT (P for practice) a year in advance of when we would take the test. There is no reason in my opinion to make your kid go through a practice test at home. It's mostly process of elimination and the most important part is to pace yourself and not worry about time. I was projected to get a 24 on the ACT and got a 22 on my first try partly because I was spending too much time on a certain problem, then it would mess me up on the next problems because I had to rush. I took it a second time and got a 27 because I made sure to pace myself and not spend too much time on any one problem.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:49 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,585,887 times
There are also plenty of practice tests books at the library.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:51 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Are you talking about the ACT and SAT? My school had us take a PSAT (P for practice) a year in advance of when we would take the test. There is no reason in my opinion to make your kid go through a practice test at home. It's mostly process of elimination and the most important part is to pace yourself and not worry about time. I was projected to get a 24 on the ACT and got a 22 on my first try partly because I was spending too much time on a certain problem, then it would mess me up on the next problems because I had to rush. I took it a second time and got a 27 because I made sure to pace myself and not spend too much time on any one problem.
I believe the OP's child is 2nd grade or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education