Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,380 times

Advertisements

I'm currently using Rosetta Stone Totale to learn French and it's been two days. I already feel like my French is better. However, I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. There isn't much of a community there and scheduling the sessions to work with a teacher and another student is not as easy as I thought. There are not many sessions available. I'm zooming through the lessons right now.

I'm not sure what to do if I get done with the lessons too fast because I won't have much else to do but the live sessions. Should I stick with it or send it back because I know I'll get done with it quickly? It has a one month guarantee.

Any suggestions or questions about Rosetta Stone Totale are appreciated.

For anyone that doesn't know, Rosetta Stone Totale is an online version of Rosetta Stone with a social component where you can work with other students and a tutor. It costs $999.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
As I've mentioned in another thread regarding RS - I wouldn't pay for anything to do with RS because I find their whole "copyright" and resale enforcement deal abhorrent ethically.

WHEN I get a language program I'll go with FLUENZ

Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Opyelie, how do you feel about using the program and then sending it back even if you used a lot of it or went through the whole program? I'm feeling conflicted.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 PM

What's their return policy on the Totale packages? Personally if I could I'd send it back if you feel it's not going to be as beneficial as you expected, nearly 1k $ is a LOT of money, especially if you're not getting the benefits of online student sessions you thought you would.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:19 PM

As far as I read, it's a one month, no risk policy. I could probably run through all the lessons before I send it back. I guess it just seems like then I'd be getting half the product for free.

They used to have an online version of the CD's and I bought that for Italian. It was a great deal and I wish they still did that. The Totale is only one price and is a year subscription, which I don't like due to lack of flexibility.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:25 PM

Hmm, you're tied into an annual subscription ?

That alone would scare me........... I see on their store website it states
"1-Month, no-risk, money-back guarantee" - maybe give it a week and then if you still feel the same way about it - return it.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:32 PM

I think that sounds like a good idea. Thanks Opyelie!

Old 07-23-2010, 06:24 PM

I have finished Level 1 of the program. It has been okay. I enjoyed doing the one on one session and really enjoyed that there was no English. However, the one on one session relied a lot on colors and since I have color blindness it was a bit difficult. I'm hoping to schedule another lesson early next week. There are not that many openings.

As far as the lessons, I now know how to say greetings, compare objects, ask someone how they are, and know how to use the verb "to want" although I don't know what the infinitive form of the verb is. I think my pronunciation and listening skills are better. The program needs to have more writing though. I am supplementing my writing by typing up useful sentences that I want to remember.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress and welcome any questions or other people's experiences with Rosetta Stone.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:06 PM

I just finished level 2 of Rosetta Stone Totale French and I wanted to update everyone on my progress.

The second level introduced a few past tenses and the future tense. It was difficult to differentiate between some of the past tenses. I now know how to talk about art and music, hobbies, weather, make comparisons, order and talk about food, jobs, and transportation.

I did another session with a tutor and found it to be useful. It did improve my vocabulary and helped me think on the fly.

One of my gripes with the program is that there isn't enough writing or spontaneous conversation. You only really get to talk during the milestone and even then you have to respond the way the program wants you to. If there was more writing, I think it would be easier to come up with something to say.

There aren't as many sessions open for the tutor sessions, as I would like. The sessions never seem too crowded, so I'm not sure if there is a cap or what.

Finally, it's hard to differentiate between certain things with the pictures. The pictures aren't that big and sometimes you can get food items confused. It's also hard to figure out some grammar ideas, especially the differences between the past tenses, just by looking at the pictures. It would be great if they had a section on conjugation, but I know that is against their teaching philosophy.

Overall, I still like the program and find it fun and addictive. It's very good with vocabulary, okay with grammar, and I would love for the online community to be more robust.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:43 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
As I've mentioned in another thread regarding RS - I wouldn't pay for anything to do with RS because I find their whole "copyright" and resale enforcement deal abhorrent ethically.

WHEN I get a language program I'll go with FLUENZ
What is the copyright and resale deal? I'm considering Rosetta Stone for my kids to learn Spanish....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education