Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,563 times

Advertisements

Clinging to print can isolate kids and alienate them from the digital world of multitasking

April 18, 2014, by Scott Timberg

Is this guy for real? I read his bio and, while he's based in LA, there's nothing to indicate a basis for such stupidity as this.

His son avidly reads books. Page-turning ones, not Kindle or Nook. And he says this:

Quote:
Our concern is whether he will find some other kid who shares his enthusiasm. So far, he hasn’t.

I read the remainder of this trash article struggling to keep from heaving up and shaking my head. What is his point? That spending one's time Tweeting or whatever is more important than filling your mind with wonder and awe at the words penned by men and women of talent and information?

Read this trash for yourself, brought to you by aljazeera American of course, @ Is reading too much bad for kids? | Al Jazeera America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:52 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
I read the remainder of this trash article struggling to keep from heaving up and shaking my head. What is his point? That spending one's time Tweeting or whatever is more important than filling your mind with wonder and awe at the words penned by men and women of talent and information?

Read this trash for yourself, brought to you by aljazeera American of course, @ Is reading too much bad for kids? | Al Jazeera America
I read that "trash" for myself and got the point pretty clearly, it's right there in the last 2 paragraphs:

Quote:
So, should we be proud that we’re raising members of a small, monkish caste, or worry that they’re marginalizing themselves? On reflection, I realize it’s not my son, or Boog’s daughter, who needs to change: The culture they’re growing up into has lost its sense of what matters. But parenting is not just about preparing kids for careers; it’s about asserting values, and serious reading may be what my family has instead of a religious or ethnic identity. If my son’s peers, or the culture at large, find another god to worship, it will be their loss.

“Let your son be,” Rodriguez says. “I think he will face a world increasingly grown dull and disinclined to concentrate on any one thing for more than a few seconds. That may be a great difficulty for him. Or he may have a prophetic life — as orator, romancing the world back to its senses and the bravery of solitude.”
It's a classic "title meant to shock" article that could have come from the Atlantic, New Yorker, New Republic... it came from Aljazeera America? Big deal.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:11 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default You'll go blind

Reading too much makes you go partially blind.
I had eyeglasses starting at age 10.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:16 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,298 times
I don't see any mention of his talking to his son about what was in the books or helping him select books.

I suppose it can become a way to withdraw. Maybe the kid needs to look for more interesting people.

psik

Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,903 times
Hah I never paid attention in class all the way through highschool. Was always reading books and teachers mostly ignored my existence. Had a few get angry for not paying attention, but I guess I'm laughing my way to the bank now...learned more from those books than I ever did from school.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:36 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
No it doesn't. I'm 38 and average a book a day and I don't wear glasses.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I just have poorly shaped eyeballs.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I just have poorly shaped eyeballs.
I wore glasses from when I was 18 to 70! Had lens replacement surgery and now see 20/20 but need reading glasses.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:14 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,298 times
Yes, but it depends on what they read.

Quote:
The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science requires reasoning while those other subjects merely require scholarship. - Robert A. Heinlein
If must be the "too much" that makes it bad but how do you determine that?

psik

Old 04-24-2014, 04:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
OP did you actually read the article?

Or did you decide to just cut and paste something from a right-wing blogger who sent out his daily talking points?

The author sounds like my kind of dad: someone who is raising a son who loves to read. They probably have an extensive library of books in their home. Is that a problem among the right-wing, anti-Aljazerra crowd these days?

p.s. The author mentions a writer named Richard Rodriguez. He's a brilliant writer and thinker and a favorite of mine. He's also a gay Mestizo from an immigrant family who writes about intellectual empowerment. I'd guess all the right-wing people upset with Aljazeera don't actually read him either.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-24-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education