Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 03:13 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

That sounds absolutely absurd to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 03:20 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
That sounds absolutely absurd to me.

Which part?

To add to the absurdity the Superintendent who was in charge back when the system didn't follow IEPs or 504s (although it continued after he left) is now the Chair of the School Board.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The school system where I live a few years ago refused to provide an IEP required aide for a blind student. Parents went to Court and received a $1M judgment for punitive damages. The reason for that was because the system had a history of ignoring IEPs and not providing services. There were usually 2 or 3 cases working through the Court system at any one time.

They went through a period where they wouldn't honor 504 plans, either. We had an issue with that early on with our youngest son (who just graduated). His 504 was for medical not behavior (ADD/HD).
There was a blind girl in my HS back in the 70's.
She got around with her seeing eye dog.
She had her braille books and went to another room to do oral tests.
She could hear a pin drop, heard everything and remembered everything..a straight A student.

Are seeing eye dogs and/or canes not allowed in schools ?

Old 08-09-2014, 04:26 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There was a blind girl in my HS back in the 70's.
She got around with her seeing eye dog.
She had her braille books and went to another room to do oral tests.
She could hear a pin drop, heard everything and remembered everything..a straight A student.

Are seeing eye dogs and/or canes not allowed in schools ?
Canes yes. The aide was to do the Braille transcription of classwork, etc.

The next point:

1970s>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2000.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 08-09-2014 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: removed a zero from a date

Old 08-09-2014, 05:21 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
This seems absurd to me:

Public school pays $101,972 to send Akron student to private school in Cleveland - Local - Ohio

There are a lot of directions that this conversation can go, but here's my initial take: Oftentimes people will talk about how much "we" spend on public education for children in a particular district or even as an entire country. Rarely, however, do expenses like these come to light. For a variety of reasons, whenever one sees a per pupil expenditure number, it's best to realize that only a percentage of that is actually making it into the regular education classroom.
That $101,900 is more than it currently costs for the total education per year for 7 kids. Over $1.7 million to educate one child, over their educational time. Paid for by the taxpayers. A friend of mine was telling me a couple of weeks ago about a cousin who was living in a 2 million dollar home that was suing the school system to pay for her one child, who has very high functioning Aspergers, to go to a private school at $32,000/year. Her biggest complaint was that the parents winning these lawsuits are generally the ones who could afford to pay the tuition themselves and their kids aren't really the ones who need the services the most anyway. I totally agree.

We really, really need to do something to fix this. I agree with the person who said earlier we need to have an honest discussion about this, it is breaking the banks of some school systems.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 22,501 times
Special education laws have come a long way since the 1970s. It many ways, it is big business and big money.

I previously worked at a nonpublic school where home/local districts paid for the students to attend. Non-publics are not private schools, but rather specialized schools that are better equipt to meet the learning or behavioral needs of students...needs that their regular, home school or district could not meet. Ballpark cost per student = $70,000 minimum. If the child requires a one-to-one aide, that another $20-25,000 per year that the home district pays.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:12 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
a cousin who was living in a 2 million dollar home that was suing the school system to pay for her one child, who has very high functioning Aspergers, to go to a private school at $32,000/year. Her biggest complaint was that the parents winning these lawsuits are generally the ones who could afford to pay the tuition themselves and their kids aren't really the ones who need the services the most anyway.
Former Viacom CEO in Supreme Court Fight Over Private School Tuition | Fox News

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_...strict_v._T._A.

http://selfapc.com/

Last edited by bigjake54; 08-09-2014 at 11:21 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 07:10 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
I taught in a school district that paid the same amount for a residential placement of a child who had severe special needs. Parents moved into the district because they knew the district would pay. I added up the monthly tuition being paid for students in alternative, charter, vocational, structured, college in the hs, and cyber settings in the district I taught. $35,000 monthly....do the math for the annual expenditure, we were on a 10 month schedule and a district of about 2500 students~

Old 08-17-2014, 09:57 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Years ago I read an article about one tiny district that was literally going bankrupt by the demands of a couple special cases. I wish I could remember where that was and how it all turned out.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Free and Appropriate Public Education

Free Appropriate Public Education under Section 504

IDEA

These are what are called unfunded mandates. The cost for special placement for ED or violent students with average cognitive abilities can run to $300K/year for a boarding situation.
Bingo.

I worked at a school very much like the one noted. If the district can meet a student's needs, then they are not mandated to provide an alternate setting. It's mindboggling how many districts will pay sky high tuition at private placements, versus getting the necessary supports in place to meet the needs of disabled children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education