Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 12,546 times

Advertisements

I am looking for anything in writing, such as a book, an article, or a research paper that shows the effect on students of switching teachers mid-year.

The Good:
My child is in a 5th grade special ed classroom, and is having a great year. The teacher is good. My child is learning well, his confidence is growing, and he is accepting more responsibility.

The Bad:
The school district plans to take my child's teacher from his classroom after Christmas break and move him to another school, and take the teacher from the other school and put him in my child's classroom; i.e. they are having teachers switch classrooms. The worst part is that this is being done to fix an administration problem and personality conflict at the other school. I have discussed it with the school principal and the school district superintendent, and they refuse to reconsider the decision. I am going to address the school board in two days to ask that they instruct the superintendent not to move my child's teacher.

My Question:
Will moving a special ed teacher to a different classroom mid-year have a negative effect on students' learning? I am looking for anything in writing, such as a book, an article, or a research paper that shows the effect on students of switching teachers mid-year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 06:09 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
The closest thing you are going to find is studies on the impact of mid-year teacher turnover.

But just to forewarn you - you are going to be fighting a losing battle. What you are seeing is a very rare occurrence, and it is rare because everyone knows it is disruptive to students and upsets parents. Which means there was most likely a very serious, potentially lawsuit worthy conflict going on and someone high up, most likely the superintendent, felt they had no other option. It may be between the teacher and the principal, but it can also be a very serious conflict with another teacher. Also, because this is a special education situation, the possibility that this is a student/teacher issue is possible, more so than with regular ed, although that too does happen. I knew of a case where a black teacher was moved because a special education student in his EBD class had made continuous racist comments, his parents were members of a racist group, and the teacher felt threatened. Because the student was special ed, there really wasn't a way to move the child, so they moved the teacher. What I am trying to say is that this doesn't neccessarily mean you are getting a bad teacher. At least they are doing it mid-year.

What you may be able to do, if you feel it is worth the trouble (such as providing his transportation), is request your child be allowed to move with the teacher.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 12,546 times
Thanks for the reply. My wife was able to find the article below. We'll keep looking for more.
"Teacher Turnover Affects All Students' Achievement, Study Indicates"
Teacher Turnover Affects All Students' Achievement, Study Indicates - Teacher Beat - Education Week

Unfortunately, the other school is a high school, so I have no option to request my child be allowed to move with the teacher. We live in a small town, and each grade level has only one special ed classroom. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Also, I'm open to any suggestions on how to effectively present my point to the school board.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:34 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
I taught special education for over 30 years, plus have numerous relatives in education.

I agree with OldHag, to move a teacher mid year is only done in extreme situations. People may be told a "cover story" but due to legal or safety reasons it is likely that the parents and students (and maybe even other teachers) will never know the real reason for the move.

I am aware of situation where a emotional disturbed student became obsessed with his special education teacher and began to stalk her at school, online, and in the community. I am also aware of situation where a pregnant staff member needed to be transferred to a new school due to a medical condition of a student (which, in very rare cases, could cause birth defects through contact with urine, saliva, blood & other bodily fluids). Obviously, the reason for the transfer was kept confidential due to medical privacy laws. In another case, a mentally ill parent of a student was deemed a danger to a teacher.

Districts do not do switches like that unless they have a very, very good reason.

Please give your child's new teacher a chance. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:56 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddale View Post
Thanks for the reply. My wife was able to find the article below. We'll keep looking for more.
"Teacher Turnover Affects All Students' Achievement, Study Indicates"
Teacher Turnover Affects All Students' Achievement, Study Indicates - Teacher Beat - Education Week

Unfortunately, the other school is a high school, so I have no option to request my child be allowed to move with the teacher. We live in a small town, and each grade level has only one special ed classroom. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Also, I'm open to any suggestions on how to effectively present my point to the school board.
You can explain how disruptive it will be to your child, but I assure you, they already know it. School systems go to great lengths to avoid this situation, it is the reason teachers are put on binding one year contracts.

I am very sorry this is happening to your child, but I am afaid there is not much you can do to change their minds. The only way this is going to change is if for some reason the other teacher quits.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:13 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
If you can afford it, perhaps the teacher would be able to do some private tutoring with your child. This teacher would already have a good understanding of your child's needs and may consider doing it at a reduced rate.

Even once a week would be good if that was all you could afford. Talk to the teacher and let him know. Most teachers are very flattered when a parent values them to that degree.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You can explain how disruptive it will be to your child, but I assure you, they already know it. School systems go to great lengths to avoid this situation, it is the reason teachers are put on binding one year contracts.

I am very sorry this is happening to your child, but I am afaid there is not much you can do to change their minds. The only way this is going to change is if for some reason the other teacher quits.
At least the OP knows it is happening and can hopefully prepare her child.

My granddaughter had an awful time in 5th grade because a teacher retired midyear and another left due to her husband's job. The school did not inform us that this was happening and so my granddaughter came back after Winter Break to two new teachers she did not know. Since she has asperger's, she had a really hard time and we ended up having to change her down a level in terms of academics. Thankfully, she adjusted to that and is now doing quite well in 7th grade.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:23 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

If they've announced it, then it will happen unfortunately. I would look for other ways to help your child, b/c going to the school board is not going to help with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education