Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:17 AM

1,100 posts, read 796,701 times

Advertisements

United Way has discern these to be the 3 main causes for drop outs in high school.

Quote:
1. Parent Engagement was most often reported as a necessary factor for a child to be successful in school.

2. Academic Performance is another key factor that was consistently cited as a factor that influences a student staying in school and graduating.

3.Family Economic Needs also arose in research as a contributing factor to school dropout.
Details at this link:

3 Reasons Students Dropout of High School | United Way of Stanislaus County

I had witnessed one former high school classmate's life took a turn for the worse because of the evolution theory being presented as a fact. It is rarely spotted, but it could be a contributing factor for why a drop out is behaving the way that they are as in "what is the point of living" etc. Parents engagement could catch that and address the teenager's issues; and if no other advise can be given by evolutionists on how to counter that with a positive solution to change the teenager's outlook, then point out that the evolution theory is just a popular theory in science that has never been proven yet because if it was, we would know what causes macro evolution and we would be able to evolve ourselves like giving ourselves wings.

And of course, another factor for causing a high schooler to drop out would be recreational drugs which could lead to poor academic performances and rebellious/disrespectful behaviours. Parents engagement is another way that can be prevented.

Bullying can lead to a teenager's poor outlook and motivation to do well in school.

I would think dyslexia would be caught earlier on in giving the child problems in school unless they have become "clever" in working around that by cheating somehow. If the means to cheat suddenly have been restricted, that would look like he or she is having new problems at school when it is actually a hidden one.

Personal problems could be a cause for the change in the teenager's motivation to do well in school. Personal failures in sports can often bring about a defeatist's attitude in dealing with everything else.

And the ever popular "I'm in love.." Bambi swooning effect can also be a problem for why the teenager has problems in concentrating in class as well as doing well in high school.

And yes, parents can be engaged in a child's development in school and still miss those triggers, but at least they can see how well the child is doing by keeping themselves updated on their progress and personal life, and discerning if there is a problem when the child starts to not do well and beginning to be a habit too.

So communication is key and showing desire for your child to do well in school and giving compliments is a way to encourage them to continue to do well, and encouragement with help when they do not.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:20 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
United Way has discern these to be the 3 main causes for drop outs in high school.
Details at this link:

3 Reasons Students Dropout of High School | United Way of Stanislaus County
Do these reasons also presuppose that the student was capable of functioning
at the HS level before arriving there and the subsequent 'decision' to leave?

Old 12-21-2014, 09:49 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
I'm thinking pregnancy should be in the Top 3.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:57 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times
Actually I'm one of those who thinks that the dropout rate is a non-issue. But of course, anything that you take time to measure and quantify eventually becomes a big deal for politicians. I know two people who technically dropped out of school. One had to work in the parental business and the other one was a bright kid stuck in a failing school full of thugs.

They both left to go to college, and have multiple advance degrees between them. Of course I'm sure there are people who drop out for other reasons and are not successful. IMO if you are not cut out for high school, and find something else to do ie a job or higher education or even your eventual life of crime then OK.

Keep the ones there who want to learn and are capable of learning what is taught. With fewer students, maybe the schools will do a better job. It seems to be the bluster about the "dropout rate" is a way to try to keep tax dollars based on enrollment.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:58 AM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Along with incarceration.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do these reasons also presuppose that the student was capable of functioning at the HS level before arriving there and the subsequent 'decision' to leave?
I reckon that would make sense that was the presupposition.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I am amazed how some teenage girls can still go to school in spite of their pregnancy, but yes, that can be a factor for some if not most teenage girls. Hopefully, they will have the support they need to study for their G.E.D.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Actually I'm one of those who thinks that the dropout rate is a non-issue. But of course, anything that you take time to measure and quantify eventually becomes a big deal for politicians. I know two people who technically dropped out of school. One had to work in the parental business and the other one was a bright kid stuck in a failing school full of thugs.

They both left to go to college, and have multiple advance degrees between them. Of course I'm sure there are people who drop out for other reasons and are not successful. IMO if you are not cut out for high school, and find something else to do ie a job or higher education or even your eventual life of crime then OK.

Keep the ones there who want to learn and are capable of learning what is taught. With fewer students, maybe the schools will do a better job. It seems to be the bluster about the "dropout rate" is a way to try to keep tax dollars based on enrollment.
I have heard success stories of poor kids self taught by the books available in the public library and making their way into college, but you do have a point about the overall concern on the drop out rate as possibly being a non-issue in some respect for the success of the coming generation.

Ecclesiastes 9:11 I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Along with incarceration.
And runaways...

Old 12-21-2014, 01:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post

I had witnessed one former high school classmate's life took a turn for the worse because of the evolution theory being presented as a fact. It is rarely spotted, but it could be a contributing factor for why a drop out is behaving the way that they are as in "what is the point of living" etc. Parents engagement could catch that and address the teenager's issues; and if no other advise can be given by evolutionists on how to counter that with a positive solution to change the teenager's outlook, then point out that the evolution theory is just a popular theory in science that has never been proven yet because if it was, we would know what causes macro evolution and we would be able to evolve ourselves like giving ourselves wings.
Have you any understanding of science? Evolution is both a fact and a theory, but a theory in science is NOT a guess or hypothesis, but a well-supported explanation for scientific observations. Theories don't ever turn into laws because laws are descriptions while theories are explanations. The fact of evolution is the changes that have been observed (genetic change over generations). The theory of evolution is that natural selection is the best explanation for the fact that change occurs.

Evolution is Not Just a Theory: home

Evolution Resources from the National Academies

Quote:
In science, a "fact" typically refers to an observation, measurement, or other form of evidence that can be expected to occur the same way under similar circumstances. However, scientists also use the term "fact" to refer to a scientific explanation that has been tested and confirmed so many times that there is no longer a compelling reason to keep testing it or looking for additional examples. In that respect, the past and continuing occurrence of evolution is a scientific fact. Because the evidence supporting it is so strong, scientists no longer question whether biological evolution has occurred and is continuing to occur. Instead, they investigate the mechanisms of evolution, how rapidly evolution can take place, and related questions.
Honestly, humans don't evolve *ourselves.* That's a silly idea. We may actually be able to genetically modify ourselves, but that would not be evolution. Note that humans can selectively breed many animals and plants and already do that. That is an example of artificial selection, not evolution. In humans, this is called eugenics and is commonly frowned upon given the experiments that were used by the German third Reich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education