Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 12:40 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Did you look at the map?! The South is the worst region for this, followed by the Southwest. No one's trying to bash it - the numbers for the South are alarming.

The private school argument makes sense. I didn't realize public school there are that bad. In my state and other NE ones like MA, public schools are excellent save for some cities. Not everyone who can afford it goes to private school because they don't have to - public schools are great where I live. I guess it's just different.
What tnff is saying is that California (huge population), Nevada, New Mexico, Texas and West Virginia are not generally considered Southern States, but also have the poverty level problems.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 12:56 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Where I grew up in Texas, there aren't enough children attending private schools to cause a huge disparity. The city of San Antonio is already the most segregated city in the U.S. by income. The wealthy children get to go to public schools that hardly have any economically disadvantaged children. Two of the reasons why we have a lot of poor children here is that we have a high teen pregnancy rate, and the educational attainment in this city is low compared to other large cities. With just a high school diploma or GED, a lot of the residents here are stuck in low-paying, service jobs. High rates of teen pregnancy and low rates of college education are problems across the South and the Southwest.

By the way, I think West Virginia currently fits the southern stereotypes more than Virginia even though they were on different sides of the Civil War. Texas has a lot in common with the South and Southwest. It has been categorized both ways many times. The eastern part of Texas is definitely southern. In the Southwest, there are a lot of poor Hispanics and Native Americans. In the South, there are a lot of poor blacks and whites.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Did you look at the map?!
OK, everyone looked at the map. In fact "look at the map" was all I could do. HuffPo's link to the actual study is broken (Error 404!) and therefore all we have is a map showing pretty colors.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:19 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
So, the article is really about the "free or reduced rate school lunch" rate, not the "poverty rate"?

What is the federal "poverty level" and is it higher than the federal "reduced rate school lunch level"?
What impact has the recent influx of illegal aliens had on the border states?

Why is Arizona, which is famous for trying to fight illegal immigration, apparently not as poverty-stricken as neighboring California and New Mexico?

Old 01-19-2015, 01:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Texas has the same problem with its public schools as Mississippi does although some public schools in Texas are decent.

As Texans search for alternatives to underfunded public schools, they self-segregate | Dallas Morning News

Quote:
• One third of Texas’s private schools are more than 80 percent white – while another third are between 50 and 80 percent white.

• Only six percent of private school students are black, according to data from the National Center for Education Statistics analyzed by InvestigaTexas. But those statistics may only tell part of the story: The NCES data is based on a voluntary survey that many private schools in Texas don’t participate in – and when they do, many schools elect not to include their racial makeup.

• Home-schooling advocates say Texas has more home schooled children than any other state in the nation – and experts also believe that the majority of homeschooled children in Texas are white. The Texas Education Agency does not know how many children attend private or home schools – or what curriculum is being used to teach those children.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:16 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Texas has the same problem with its public schools as Mississippi does although some public schools in Texas are decent.

As Texans search for alternatives to underfunded public schools, they self-segregate | Dallas Morning News
The article was not clear on this, but I kind of just scanned through it. White people might make up 30% of Dallas' population, but do they make up 30% of Dallas' school-aged population? There are some places where Hispanics make up a much higher percentage of school-aged children than they do the general population.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:36 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
OK, everyone looked at the map. In fact "look at the map" was all I could do. HuffPo's link to the actual study is broken (Error 404!) and therefore all we have is a map showing pretty colors.
The link I looked at relies in large part on 'poverty level' as established by the gov't again.
Part of it is based on adult success, but quantifies if you don't make 36k per year you don't count as successful, no matter where you live. Though I'm guessing if that's what you make in DC, NYC or LA you're not successful no matter what the gov't says about it.
Part of it relies on things like pre-k attendance which to some extent is cultural. So personally I take the map with a grain of salt, one of those nice magical number manipulations in which the south always comes out looking bad because of the lower COL and the lower wages associated with that.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:23 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
Is the poverty level for each state adjusted to fit the cost of living? You can live on much less in the rural South than you can in California for instance.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:24 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
that make sense, the teachers here are so bad that if you can afford private schools that the way to go, and so it leaves those with low income in public schools. it not that a lot of students are poor, its the fact that the schools are so bad.
True that. Our schools in Texas are so atrocious (ranked 48th the last I checked) that every parent who possibly can puts their kid in private school. Home schooling is also very popular, and parents who are on a tighter budget often go that route.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:17 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
True that. Our schools in Texas are so atrocious (ranked 48th the last I checked) that every parent who possibly can puts their kid in private school. Home schooling is also very popular, and parents who are on a tighter budget often go that route.
Not all Texas schools are bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education