Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:15 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

GLENDALE, Ky. -- Bobby Thorn wanted to be the only boy on his school's cheerleading squad, but that didn't happen.

The 13-year-old attends East Hardin Middle School in Glendale, but the controversial decision to cut him from the team expands beyond the district's boundaries.

School Refuses To Let Boy Join Cheerleading Squad - Louisville News Story - WLKY Louisville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 04:07 PM

278 posts, read 910,208 times
Bobby works with coach Jen Brewer at a gym called Becca's Fliptown, something he's been doing since he was about 5. He's been successful, too, winning trophies for gymnastics and cheerleading.

I read the article to my 15 year old son. I can't actually type what he had to say about kids like this. I wouldn't have said it....but politically correct or not....other kids just do. Maybe these parents should've invested into a pair of cleats instead of pom-poms.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:08 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,637 times
There is a big double-standard that our society refuses to address. Girls can do "boy things", but boys cannot do "girl things." He should absolutely be allowed... girls want to wrestle and play football - cheer leading is not even a contact sport!

If he wants to embarass himself and be the butt of jokes, by all means, let him. God bless him.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:39 PM

278 posts, read 910,208 times
I do agree he should be able to participate if he wants to.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:49 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
There is a big double-standard that our society refuses to address. Girls can do "boy things", but boys cannot do "girl things." He should absolutely be allowed... girls want to wrestle and play football - cheer leading is not even a contact sport!

If he wants to embarass himself and be the butt of jokes, by all means, let him. God bless him.
Well, I don't think that he has anything to be embarrassed about. I grew up doing gymnastics and dance (mostly ballet) and in Alabama boys generally don't dance.

I went to a high school that was known for football. But I have to say that there, people wouldn't have made a big deal about a boy cheerleader. Personally, that's not my thing, but I had some friends that wanted me to tryout. Cheerleading is just as much of a sport as football. and I'd rather do flips than get hit and kill useful brain cells. Cheerleading may not involve contact, but it takes technical skills that a lot of people simply do not posses.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Aren't there male cheerleaders in college? I know I've seen them on the cheer competitions on ESPN...I don't see anything wierd about boys seeing cheerleaders any more than girls being cheerleaders. Both are kind of silly, in my opinion. Gymnastics and dance are awesome...cheering, not so much.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
There are a lot of high schools around here with male cheerleaders. Many schools want them so they can do more complicated routines and such.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
That is illegal and he should get a lawyer and sue the hell out of the school.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:00 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
one boy....a buncha girls......who's the dumb one here......

Old 02-07-2008, 08:50 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post

Mr. Bush was a cheerleader in high school and college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education