Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,206,503 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in people's opinions on this

Grading on a curve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 07:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,242,084 times
Depends. For quizzes and tests I like it because I'm very competitive in school and bring my A game. But for something creative like an essay, I wanted to evaluated on my own merit and the contents of my work, not based on how well it stacks up against someone else's essay.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:03 AM

947 posts, read 923,304 times
I don't like it.

When students are graded on a curve, their grades depend on their classmates. An average student would get poor grades if their class is filled with gifted students, and excellent grades if the class is filled with lazy students. A child should be graded by their own work, not by the work of their classmates.

I suppose that could also cause kids to hate smart classmates that bring the curve up. I can't help but wonder if the popularity of grading on a curve is what started the bullying of smart kids. My mom says that smart kids were popular when she was a kid, but now they are picked on by classmates.

Japanese schools don't use a curve. They give kids homework assignments and tests that add up to 100 points, and score them according to how many they got right. Smart kids are popular in Japanese schools, which provides more motive for kids to get good grades.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:15 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,250,221 times
It sux. How do we justify one student with a 95% having an "A" and the other with a 93% having a "C"??

If a student knows 90% of the material it is an "A" and 92% is an "A" and 20% is FAILING...

Old 02-25-2015, 02:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,942,890 times
I don't like grades at all, but grading on a curve is worse because it sets students against one another when they should only be comparing what they learned rather than how they did relative to others.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:52 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,283,554 times
Hate the curve. Only time an A student doing A level work can receive C's, D's and F's.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:05 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,745,280 times
The students are only as good as the instructor teaches, some instructors need curves because they can't teach the material very well, again one of the reasons why education lacks. The big reason education is behind is because kids don't all learn the same, it's strictly individual and the current system doesn't cater to that.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,568,031 times
Curves should only be used when there is something wrong with the test or when the test was intended to be too hard (like in the case of tests given by AP teachers. Making the test too hard helps prepare kids to take the real AP test.). If a curve has to be applied to a test that wasn't intended to be too hard the test should be fixed.

I don't curve my tests at all. I have in the past. I've fixed the errors. I test what I want my students to learn and don't need to curve my tests because I teach what I want them to learn. Over the years I've figured out better ways to teach what I want them to learn. I'm able to bring my A game now. I missed a few over the years but not now. I still get a little better each year now but for the most part I have it figured out. I'd rather see retakes on tests that have low scores. If the test really tests what the student should know, just changing the grade doesn't improve what they know.

I remember tests in college where 14% would be an A. IMO that is a VERY BAD test.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,001,148 times
Well I sure had my share of curved grades, both up and down.

My professors at Cornell often made assignments ridiculously hard. I've had 70s that ended up being As, a 58 which turned out to be a B+, etc.

I think they use curves at the college level, particularly at competitive universities to weed out the untalented kids from a field. Education is a gatekeeper, and programs would like to think those who have a degree in that field are better than the average student or candidate.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:00 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,940,257 times
As a parent, I say it's up to the instructors and as long as their is a consistent methodology and it's discussed with the students/parents.

I don't want every teachers to be robots an do the exact same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education