Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many hours per month should teachers work for free?
0 - no one should be expected to work free hours for their employer 49 75.38%
1-10 5 7.69%
11-20 2 3.08%
21-30 1 1.54%
31-40 3 4.62%
A teachers should be committed enough to live at school 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:21 PM

184 posts, read 245,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Should I give you my father's phone number? He's a mechanic and has spent hundreds of thousands on tools over the years. The guys who work for him each MUST come to work with a fully stocked tool cabinet. His guys have sent over $20K in TOOLS before they even start working. My brother has probably spent over $50K in tools to work at a BMW dealership. And just because people pay $100K for a BMW doesn't mean he makes $100K a year!

The guy from Domino's who delivered pizza across the street a few days ago is a guy who uses his own vehicle. The man who delivers my newspaper every day also uses his own vehicle, gas, and insurance.
Fair enough. Although, I do think it's possible that some of those jobs or others similar might be considered "independent contractor" jobs, in which case it is kind of like owning your own business and needing to invest your own money in it. A teacher who chooses to tutor independently would be the same way. A teacher working for a public or private school isn't.

I think what is important to realize here is that teachers aren't claiming they have the most difficult, most expensive, lowest-paying job out there. There are just so many misconceptions about it, and there needs to be a little more respect and understanding from the general public out there.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:21 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Where did I claim to be an expert on education? Please highlight that for me! Oh yeah I didn't make that claim!

I even have problems with the things my local school is currently trying to pull. They were one of 8 school districts in the entire state to not have their budget pass during the school budget vote last week. I believe there are about 720 school districts in the state. So out of 720 only 8 failed......what's that tell you
You have presented yourself in post after post as an expert, declaiming what is necessary and what is not. Opining on time management. And on and on and on.

Sorry, Ma'am, but you have.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Where did I claim to be an expert on education? Please highlight that for me! Oh yeah I didn't make that claim!

I even have problems with the things my local school is currently trying to pull. They were one of 8 school districts in the entire state to not have their budget pass during the school budget vote last week. I believe there are about 720 school districts in the state. So out of 720 only 8 failed......what's that tell you
You're right. You never claimed to be an expert. But, you sure do claim to know a lot about what goes on in schools, and you're refuting the claims that teachers (the experts in the field of education) are making, which gives the impression that you think you know as much or more than the teachers.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:

Without context it tells me nothing except the School Board hasn't passed next year's budget yet. Apparently you think it's significant but you are holding information I don't have.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:51 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella84 View Post
You're right. You never claimed to be an expert. But, you sure do claim to know a lot about what goes on in schools, and you're refuting the claims that teachers (the experts in the field of education) are making, which gives the impression that you think you know as much or more than the teachers.
Stop whining.

It's not that we don't understand, we simply don't care. Your decision to decorate your classroom doesn't even begin to compare to the hardship others face in their careers. The more you whine the more you weaken any argument about being a "professional".

I WANT people like you leaving the profession of teaching. I would way rather have an energetic positive new teacher at the front of my kids' classes than a bitter whiner. I'm raising my kids to be accountable for the choices they make. If you don't like being a teacher (including the conditions of employment), don't be one.

It's funny to reread your statements "nobody has to buy things for work except teachers" - when presented with a long list of people who pay way more for their work you dismiss that. Maybe log off your computer and get back to your "70 hour week"

Old 05-26-2015, 06:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Does it really matter if teachers are "regularly" buying books (or other items)? Shouldn't it matter that they have to do it at all, even once? In what other job are you expected to supply your own materials needed to do the said job? Really, if there is one, I'd like to hear it. I can't think of one...
Some of the teachers in my children's school and my friends who are teachers buy books for their classroom bookshelves so the kids can read them during break time and/or borrow them to take home. They all do it because they want to instill a love of reading for their students. They are passionate about instilling a love of learning.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:59 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
What do you suggest teachers do when the principal requires them to have a classroom library but is unwilling to provide funds for it? Not buying them is not always an option, assuming a teacher wants to keep his/her job.

Also, in regards to your comment on teachers never leaving a school, there are many teachers for whom that is true. However, there are many, many teachers who transition to a career in teacher after having worked in another field. I don't think most teachers consider themselves victims. I think it's more about wanting to educate the general population on what is really going on in schools. Most teachers are satisfied in their careers, despite the negatives, or they choose to leave. The sad thing is that so much taxpayer money is being wasted on turnover in schools, and so many good teachers are leaving due to the negatives in the career.
Go public.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Stop whining.

It's not that we don't understand, we simply don't care. Your decision to decorate your classroom doesn't even begin to compare to the hardship others face in their careers. The more you whine the more you weaken any argument about being a "professional".

I WANT people like you leaving the profession of teaching. I would way rather have an energetic positive new teacher at the front of my kids' classes than a bitter whiner. I'm raising my kids to be accountable for the choices they make. If you don't like being a teacher (including the conditions of employment), don't be one.

It's funny to reread your statements "nobody has to buy things for work except teachers" - when presented with a long list of people who pay way more for their work you dismiss that. Maybe log off your computer and get back to your "70 hour week"
I'm not sure how insulting me helps your case, but so be it. Insults don't win arguments.

Just to be clear, you do not know me or anything about me, including my performance as a teacher or my feelings about teaching. You've just made many assumptions about me in your post above, as I haven't stated any of those things directly. It seems you have a lot of built up anger against teachers, and I'm just the scapegoat. I can handle it.

I do have to wonder though... Why are you even posting on an education board if you are not a teacher or someone with a vested interest in education? What's your purpose here?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Go public.
I'm not sure I understand... Please elaborate.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Some of the teachers in my children's school and my friends who are teachers buy books for their classroom bookshelves so the kids can read them during break time and/or borrow them to take home. They all do it because they want to instill a love of reading for their students. They are passionate about instilling a love of learning.
Exactly. Teachers do it for the love of learning and the love of the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education