Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 04:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Does anyone know of schools that don't use detention? Mine doesn't, as most students would have no way home because most parents either are working or don't have cars. We have very few consequences for minor misconduct. It's in-school or out-of-school suspension and that is it.
I'm rural and work in rural schools. None of them have detention after school.
It's only ISS, suspension or alt-ed. Any offense that would only incur a normal detention just gets a trip to the office and a talking to by either the Asst. Principal or Counselor and then back to class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 08:35 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Maybe if people were better parents, kids wouldn't have detention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
And maybe if people were better teachers kids wouldn't have detentions.
Or maybe if people better teachers and parents kids wouldn't have detentions. That's just my opinion.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:38 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
Detention = daily attendance $$$$$$, right?

Old 12-23-2015, 09:10 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Most of my friends and I got a reasonable number of detentions in high school, mostly for minor things. I used to get detention for talking or laughing in class, dress code violations, skipping class and lateness. I averaged about 8-10 detentions per year.

In order to make the detention as inconvenient as possible, the school required that we serve it the same day it was received. There was no transportation provided after detention, when the last bus was long gone. We had to fend for ourselves, and once I got a license and drove to school, I used to give friends rides home after detention if we served it the same day.

Most of the time, we sat there and did homework for 75 minutes. Total silence was enforced. Sometimes we did work details. I was never embarrassed to be in detention. It was just a fact of life that we all lived in high school. In my school, detention was viewed by many as a badge of honor, and even some teachers would comment approvingly the next day if he saw me in detention the previous afternoon.

I'd say detention was a reasonably effective punishment, at least for me and most of my friends. My school didn't really give detentions for ridiculous reasons; if you were in detention, it was usually for good reason. Detention was like a warning shot of worse consequences to come for more serious misbehavior. So while the threat or fact of receiving detention didn't always deter me from the behavior that led to it, the price paid for such minor misbehavior served as a deterrent against more serious misbehavior. As a result, I never did anything seriously wrong, or got into serious trouble in high school. And I always got good grades.

As for the point of detention, it was always pretty clear to me what it was -- to ruin my afternoon as a punishment for misbehavior. I never questioned the efficacy of it, even as a student who was receiving it.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:59 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Detention = daily attendance $$$$$$, right?
Wrong. The school district receives $0 for detention, as it is an extension of the normal school hours. It is not cheap to run detention, it requires a teacher to work outside of their contract hours, which cost extra money, it requires an administrator to be on-site, it costs extra in facilities, and formal discipline actions require manpower to create the paperwork trail associated with it. If it was about money, when a student is acting in a manner that can not be controlled by the classroom teacher, the cheapest option is ignoring it. Which may contribute to that being a favorite option of too many administrators. In states with average daily membership, the second cheapest option is out-of-school suspension. In states with average daily attendence it's a toss up between out-of-school suspension and detention. So, no, detention is not done for $$$$$.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:26 PM

I don't know this since I am just curious but does anybody know if detention always have to be supervised?

Old 12-24-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I don't know this since I am just curious but does anybody know if detention always have to be supervised?
I think it would defeat the whole purpose if it wasn't supervised. How would you know the kids stayed for the appointed time? And what would keep them from just having fun together?

When I was in school and got detention, it was supervised by the dean of discipline and total silence was required for the duration. If the kids can talk to each other and have fun, then it's not a punishment.

Reading some of the responses here, it's easy to see why the education system in this country is a shambles.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's an antiquated method of punishment for something wrong you did in class.

At one time you feared what happened when you got home from detention, not detention itself.
When you went to school you represented your family and upbringing.
Back then you behaved in public especially with adults.
You did not dare misbehave at school because you got it when you got home.
There was no questioning the school/teacher's motives.

And going home from school were the whispers of "so and so got detention" and we knew we wouldn't see them out playing with us for a while.

It means nothing today.
I remember once I was told by my old churchmate that if you received a spanking at school, you would get the same at home. That was an example of learning to act appropriately in school. I'm sure some parents still teach this.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I remember once I was told by my old churchmate that if you received a spanking at school, you would get the same at home. That was an example of learning to act appropriately in school. I'm sure some parents still teach this.
Parents really are the key to school discipline, and to school performance in general. Where you have good parents who foster good behavior in their kids and a desire for education, you have good schools. Where you have deficient parents who do not foster these things, you will have bad schools. You can't superimpose good schools on a dysfunction community where a critical mass of parents aren't interested in their kids' behavior or education.

That's not to say that everything will be perfect even if you have committed parents. But it makes a big difference.

Kids who aren't concerned about what the consequences will be at home for bad school behavior are not going to be affected by any discipline that the school can impose.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Parents really are the key to school discipline, and to school performance in general. Where you have good parents who foster good behavior in their kids and a desire for education, you have good schools. Where you have deficient parents who do not foster these things, you will have bad schools. You can't superimpose good schools on a dysfunction community where a critical mass of parents aren't interested in their kids' behavior or education.

That's not to say that everything will be perfect even if you have committed parents. But it makes a big difference.

Kids who aren't concerned about what the consequences will be at home for bad school behavior are not going to be affected by any discipline that the school can impose.
True. Again in my opinion, maybe if people were better parents and teachers kids would not get detentions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education