Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:36 PM

358 posts, read 711,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Charters are not competition. They are not equal. Charter deal with easy kids to educate while traditional schools have to take everyone including ones the charters toss out.

No it hasn't been tried. Public schools were never given the funding to deal with those specific kids. People use those situations as excuse to further defund neighborhood schools. All charter schools have done is what people in traditional schools have been suggesting for years.
You're sounding a little paranoid here. You have some great points but lawdy I can't get past the sweeping generalizations. Folks are trying to do what's best for their kid. It's not complicated.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:53 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,556,943 times
That was a long video that AMSS posted, but I'm wondering if anyone that replied actually watched it. If you did then you would be agreeing with his point. In general charters are not held accountable and the kids are often not getting a much better education than they would if that money had been put to good use in the local public schools.

In my area we do have good schools and the local charters are looking for kids that want a specific education, like an arts or STEM centered school. The problem with this is the tax money goes with the kids to the charter school. Local school boards have very minimal control over the schools even though they are funding them. It's a racket. This article talks more about charters in PA. https://yinzercation.wordpress.com/2...arter-schools/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,376,991 times
Actually in Nevada the charter school thing is different than suggested. We appear to have three different types of charter school.

We have the ones in middle class whitish neighborhoods that are actually private schools run with public money. Work very well.

We have a couple of Agassi Academies type places who actually take selected low end minority children and educate them very well. They work quite well though they are economically much better supported than a standard charter school.

We have the standard commercial charter school which performs at best equivalent to the neighborhood public school and mostly worse.

All three of course skim the better students from the public schools leaving them with the dregs.

More good or harm? Probably harm to the low end kid good for the kid who is not the low end.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:40 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,138,760 times
Quote:
If areas with a high amount of at risk kids want to pool the kids easy to educate, then you have magnets which are still overseen by the public. Charters don't have to open their books for the taxpayer which leads to abuses like those pointed out. It also gives the false impression that they are working miracles which they aren't.
The magnet schools in my district are great. And as opposed to the charters, we taxpayers aren't subsidizing profits for a private company.

I think the magnet programs should be expanded massively.

Once the promising students have been placed in magnet programs, we have to figure out what to do with the rest of our kids. Special Ed programs, ROTC type programs, mentoring, or disciplinary schools.

The one size fits all approach isn't working for our kids.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The magnet schools in my district are great. And as opposed to the charters, we taxpayers aren't subsidizing profits for a private company.

I think the magnet programs should be expanded massively.

Once the promising students have been placed in magnet programs, we have to figure out what to do with the rest of our kids. Special Ed programs, ROTC type programs, mentoring, or disciplinary schools.

The one size fits all approach isn't working for our kids.
In many ways the magnets are as bad as the charters. They skim off the top of the available students. That makes the regular schools worse. What you end up in the low end public schools are the least motivated, most transient students generally with the least experienced and weakest teachers.

And it is the bottom 25% that damages NV performance. And magnets and charters makes it worse if anything. What we need is some system to deal with schools loaded with English Learners, The Disabled, the Transient and the ill behaved. Tall order.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:20 PM

12,869 posts, read 9,093,207 times
Quote:
Charters are not competition. They are not equal. Charter deal with easy kids to educate while traditional schools have to take everyone including ones the charters toss out.

No it hasn't been tried. Public schools were never given the funding to deal with those specific kids. People use those situations as excuse to further defund neighborhood schools. All charter schools have done is what people in traditional schools have been suggesting for years.

While I support our schools, I don't support a blank check. How much more money do you need? We already pay more per kid than 50 years ago. More money can't fix the lack of discipline, lack of give a darn among students and parents, and lack of self motivation.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
While I support our schools, I don't support a blank check. How much more money do you need? We already pay more per kid than 50 years ago. More money can't fix the lack of discipline, lack of give a darn among students and parents, and lack of self motivation.
So what do you propose. In Las Vegas the bottom schools turn over at a rate close to or above 50%. Maybe a third of the kids are not fluent in English. 20% or more of the teachers are long term substitutes. Another 30% or more are in their first three years. See the problem?

Money could certainly help. Large salaries to experienced teachers. Specialty transport so a kid could stay in the school even if the family moves across town. Vastly reduced class size...not 2 kids but half so the teacher can get tightly involved.

Only problem is it costs...and we do not wish to pay.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:49 PM

78,545 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Quote:
Magnets are public schools that are still overseen by the district and taxpayers whereas charters are not. Charters are private businesses running on public dollars...and false advertising.
So what?

It gives working class families an opportunity for better educational options in a challenged educational environment.

Support you claims too if you're going to make them like that.

Otherwise I will start making up non-sourced facts like charters don't receive any pubic money.

I hope this helps you understand how ridiculous your uncited post was.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:06 AM

823 posts, read 1,057,607 times
"While I support our schools, I don't support a blank check. How much more money do you need?"

The state of California is projected to spend around $14,500 per student in 2016 (up from around $10,000 in 2011) and $64,000 per prisoner in 2016 (up from $49,000 in 2011). I imagine it's similar in many other states. That is a ridiculous situation.

Imagine how many of those 112,000 people currently rotting in CA jails could have been healthy citizens if we collectively as a society had been willing to put the money in at the front end, when it really makes a difference, and properly fund and support all of our public schools? It's a tragic waste of people and money.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:00 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,226,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
In many ways the magnets are as bad as the charters. They skim off the top of the available students. That makes the regular schools worse. What you end up in the low end public schools are the least motivated, most transient students generally with the least experienced and weakest teachers.

I have to disagree with this. The magnets should (I won't say do because there will be exceptions) be pulling the kids who were the top learners or most intelligent. Those kids would often create a problem in regular classrooms where the teacher has to hold back the top kid(s) to teach to the middle. So putting those kids in a setting where they become the norm keeps them more engaged than a classroom where they may simply zone out and grow accustomed to coasting. It also lets them push themselves against kids with similar ability like an all star team would function in sports and it lets the teachers narrow the range of learning abilities they have to accommodate in one classroom.

The big problem with magnets is that it requires a large enough bulk of students to pull from. So unless you have a giant school with an in house magnet program (which can be pretty exclusionary in practice) you need to draw from larger areas which means transportation, parents having flexible schedules and even the size of the population becoming an issue.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-24-2016 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: fixed typo - it's magnets, not maganates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education