Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 02:24 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,077,355 times

Advertisements

This rather occurred to me when I suggested speaking an obscure language, like Tatalog, to prevent uninvited people from speaking to one while flying on an airline. The fail point would be if one started reading something in English.

But is that really a failure? I am slowly learning Spanish by watching the closed captions on the TV channels but I don't have a clue about how to speak it. As a child, I would read French marine biology books but my speaking of French is something of a disaster. In TV spy and mysteries, the bad guy would often make a fatal mistake by assuming that because someone couldn't speak a language, it also meant that they couldn't understand it or read it....but they could.

So here I have two questions. First of all, is it not unknown or for that matter, even common, for someone to be able to understand a language, either in print or by ear or both, but to be unable to speak it (or to be so poor at it that they don't wish to speak it)?

Secondly, is it known that, in the teaching of languages, to have the student first understand the text?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 06:36 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,241,060 times
Surprisingly common for English. I am an ESL teacher and I've encountered a number of students with moderate to high reading ability but unable to speak beyond simple phrases. That's the nature of English classrooms in some parts of the world.

I'm bilingual English/French and I can passably read some Italian/Spanish as a result.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:05 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,767,033 times
I can still read French and Spanish pretty well, due to regular verb conjugation and the similarity of Romance languages. My pronunciation is also still decent. However, I've lost any ability to understand what I hear and my conversation skills are crumbs. "Hello, which way is the train? I like my green suitcase. It is 2 o'clock."

Old 09-21-2016, 07:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,692,323 times
Verbal fluency and the ability to recognize enough known foreign language vocabulary to piece together the meaning of written materials are two different things.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:39 PM

534 posts, read 1,536,342 times
I have a CLAD credential in California....basically for teaching English Language Learners.

What I learned, teaching ELLs, and also having to take a six week Spanish immersion class myself....usually most language learners learn to read it; then to hear it; LASTLY to speak it.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:59 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,651,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
So here I have two questions. First of all, is it not unknown or for that matter, even common, for someone to be able to understand a language, either in print or by ear or both, but to be unable to speak it (or to be so poor at it that they don't wish to speak it)?
It is extremely common that someone can understand a language, but cannot speak it. That happens all the time to children of immigrant parents. Parents speak the native language to their children, but the children cannot speak very well. It's so much easier to listen to a foreign language because you're just sitting there receiving the info. But do you actually internalize the vocabulary words to the point that when its time for YOU to say something, can your brain can actually call up those words?? Nope. Listening does not automatically mean remembering. You need to SPEAK it to remember it. And have someone help you when you get stuck. That's how to learn to speak a language.

I know a ton of people born and raised here in the USA and their parents are immigrants. Of course they understand when their parents say something to them, but when it comes time for them to speak it, they can barely string a sentence together.

My own children are the same way. They Can understand more than they speak. How do I know? Because when they speak to me in our native language, I can see them struggling to find the words even though I use the same word all the freaking time!! Even common words like table, park, fork, I.e. words that I use almost every day, when they need to use it to speak to me, they don't remember it!! Drives me nuts, but that's what happens when you're raised in the USA and you get 8 hours of English schooling and TV and then very little time talking to your parents.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:01 AM

14,385 posts, read 11,793,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
It is extremely common that someone can understand a language, but cannot speak it. That happens all the time to children of immigrant parents. Parents speak the native language to their children, but the children cannot speak very well.
Yep, this is my husband. He and his brother were raised in California by immigrant parents and spoke only German when they were little. Once they were in school, they started refusing to speak German and insisted on answering their parents in English. To this day, my husband understands German perfectly but when he tries to speak, he sounds like a two-year-old because his grammar is so atrocious.

His brother, however, moved to Germany as an adult and now speaks like a native.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:23 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,047,107 times
I can read French and Spanish, but I cannot understand or speak very much at all. The part of my brain that processes written language must process much, much faster and efficiently than the part that processes auditory language.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:06 PM

61,938 posts, read 87,554,606 times
Quote:
able to understand a language, either in print or by ear or both, but to be unable to speak it
Yes, pretty common.

Quote:
Secondly, is it known that, in the teaching of languages, to have the student first understand the text?
Not when I was a foreign languages teacher at Berlitz schools.
Some crash courses were based only on speaking and memorizing phrases, and less about reading, or understanding the grammar.

Last edited by elnina; 09-23-2016 at 03:46 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 03:41 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,193,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This rather occurred to me when I suggested speaking an obscure language, like Tatalog, to prevent uninvited people from speaking to one while flying on an airline. The fail point would be if one started reading something in English.

But is that really a failure? I am slowly learning Spanish by watching the closed captions on the TV channels but I don't have a clue about how to speak it. As a child, I would read French marine biology books but my speaking of French is something of a disaster. In TV spy and mysteries, the bad guy would often make a fatal mistake by assuming that because someone couldn't speak a language, it also meant that they couldn't understand it or read it....but they could.

Early in the last century most all engineers learned to read German, because it was the lingua franca for the industry. I can sort of read German car magazines. I just have not had the opportunity to learn German like I did Russian. My speaking and understanding of German is quite limited, although, I think I got some points from the German customs people when I could at least respond to "Sprechen sie Deutch?" with "Ich spreckter kown Deutch" (pardon my misspellings here, but I think I have the phonetics at least close...) rather than the typical American response, waiting for them to repeat the question in English...

As for using a foreign language response to "push away" undesired interaction - I don't know about Tagalog, but a gruff response in Russian, heavily laced with "mat" (swearing) works really well for me.

I definitely understand Russian better than I speak it. Since most of my instruction is in reading classics and current literature, unsurprisingly I read quite well, but since I don't have much call to write in Russian, my writing skills are not so sharp.

My first visit to Kurchatov in Moscow, as customary we met with Americans on one side of a long table, Russians on the other, with team leads at the "head" ends of the table. I was the "new guy" and Dr. Sukhuruchkin, the KI team lead had been chatting with me, when it was time to take seats, he motioned me to a seat next to him, on the American side of the table. Then he cracked a very obscene and funny joke in Russian to his colleague sitting next to him. I, of course, busted out laughing. He turns to me and says "Well, yes, your Russian skillls are quite good...". Of course he had been briefed by their intel/counterintel guys that I knew some Russian. The Russians always do their homework for these sorts of meetings better than we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education